Eternity and boredom.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2014, 06:27 AM
RE: Eternity and boredom.
(03-11-2014 08:29 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  The idea of eternity in heaven, hell, or wherever, is mind bogglingly ridiculous.

If I had a choice between afterlife and a complete cessation of existence, I'm choosing the end. Any sane person would.

I agree. It's hard to think of any type of eternity that would remain heavenly forever. I think the fact that life is fleeting is what makes it so valuable.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like LadyWallFlower's post
04-11-2014, 06:45 AM
(04-11-2014 06:27 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  
(03-11-2014 08:29 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  The idea of eternity in heaven, hell, or wherever, is mind bogglingly ridiculous.

If I had a choice between afterlife and a complete cessation of existence, I'm choosing the end. Any sane person would.

I agree. It's hard to think of any type of eternity that would remain heavenly forever. I think the fact that life is fleeting is what makes it so valuable.

"Live each day like its your last" now has deeper meaning for me...and if taken to heart, thats what will give a person life meaning and purpose.

If there is a heaven...no one we knew would be the same. It wouldnt be possible. In heaven to have no sorrow or pain ..etc, I cant even fathom how thats possible. In order for that to be..one would have to not have emotions, ergo, be a robot..or someones controlling them?

Either way you take it..some kind of control has to be involved, something God said he would never mess with...

My Karma ran over your Dogma
- I have no clue who said it...I just think its funny
[+] 2 users Like WhatWasIThinking's post
04-11-2014, 09:35 AM
(04-11-2014 06:27 AM)LadyWallFlower Wrote:  

I don't think there's an after life but imagine for a moment there is. We assume that the after life is much like real life. But we don't know. As I said earlier, imagine the universe is infinite. Imagine an infinite number of universes each with its own thing going on. You'd hardly run out of shit to check out. And what of you own thoughts? Is it not possible that we can imagine an infinite amount of things?
Consider this analogy. Bill Gates might not value a 10 dollar bill as much as a homeless person. Perhaps? Or Bill Gates is a billionaire and perfectly understands the value of a 10 dollar bill. That why he has countless millions of them. The 10 dollar bill might make a homeless persons day but the more you have the better it is. I see life in much the same way. Is my life less valuable than someone who died at 10 years of age? Like money, time is traded. I invest my time in experience. The more time I have the more I'll experience. I don't think it's insane to want to live to the end of time. But it might be insane to think you can. Am I really the only person here that thinks 80 years is a ripoff? Meh. Maybe I'm greedy..
04-11-2014, 10:21 AM
(04-11-2014 09:35 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Am I really the only person here that thinks 80 years is a ripoff?

Oh hell yeah. If I could live to be a thousand, I would want to. But eternity? A trillion years raised to the power of a trillion is but a speck of time in eternity. No thanks. No

(04-11-2014 09:35 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I don't think it's insane to want to live to the end of time. But it might be insane to think you can.

Eternity has no end so it wouldn't be the end of time. I think, for at least many people who want to live for eternity, they haven't really thought about it in much depth. What they really want is not to die and they haven't though much beyond the implications of that.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
04-11-2014, 10:35 AM
If eternalism is correct you've already existed for eternity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternalism_...y_of_time)

If eternalism is correct an eternal existence is not so bad is it?
04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
(04-11-2014 10:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If eternalism is correct you've already existed for eternity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternalism_...y_of_time)

If eternalism is correct an eternal existence is not so bad is it?
Total novice (me) weighing in. However, reading and thinking a bit.. I come to the conclusion that eternalism does not state that we 'exist forever' in the same way that the conventional view of the universe does not despite the energy of our existence having been present since the big bang and will be present billions of years from now. Eternalism, at best, would imply that our lives already exist in past and future with birth and death merely being the end points of that existence. Which is not, in any way, similar to the concept of an eternal existence in the convetional sence.
04-11-2014, 12:05 PM
(04-11-2014 10:21 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 09:35 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Am I really the only person here that thinks 80 years is a ripoff?

Oh hell yeah. If I could live to be a thousand, I would want to. But eternity? A trillion years raised to the power of a trillion is but a speck of time in eternity. No thanks. No

(04-11-2014 09:35 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I don't think it's insane to want to live to the end of time. But it might be insane to think you can.

Eternity has no end so it wouldn't be the end of time. I think, for at least many people who want to live for eternity, they haven't really thought about it in much depth. What they really want is not to die and they haven't though much beyond the implications of that.
I take you point. But I'll say that I don't think eternity is a thing. That's why I use "until the end of time" which is technically forever. At the end of time time would no longer exist.
Imagine however that eternity does exist. Who is to say you'd be bored? Who's to say that there isn't an infinite amount of things to experience?
And again there's your imagination. Your ability to create ideas.
I admit that eternity would suck if you ran out of shit to do but what if you didn't? Would you accept eternity if there was a new experience at every turn...for eternity?
04-11-2014, 12:27 PM
(04-11-2014 12:05 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I take you point. But I'll say that I don't think eternity is a thing. That's why I use "until the end of time" which is technically forever. At the end of time time would no longer exist.
Imagine however that eternity does exist. Who is to say you'd be bored? Who's to say that there isn't an infinite amount of things to experience?
I admit that eternity would suck if you ran out of shit to do but what if you didn't? Would you accept eternity if there was a new experience at every turn...for eternity?

Fair enough. I find the non-existence of time difficult to imagine myself so it seems time would go on forever rather than being non-existent. But I do think no matter how many new things came along, eventually I would just be tired of living. New things would no longer hold the same excitement much as things that were awesome as a kid are now ordinary. Newness itself would lose its value.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
04-11-2014, 12:31 PM
(04-11-2014 12:27 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(04-11-2014 12:05 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I take you point. But I'll say that I don't think eternity is a thing. That's why I use "until the end of time" which is technically forever. At the end of time time would no longer exist.

Fair enough. I find the non-existence of time difficult to imagine myself so it seems time would go on forever rather than being non-existent. But I do think no matter how many new things came along, eventually I would just be tired of living. New things would no longer hold the same excitement much as things that were awesome as a kid are now ordinary. Newness itself would lose its value.

Hmm. Good point. I never considered that. Perhaps that's why the god of the bible is such a dick. He's gotta entertain himself somehow.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
04-11-2014, 12:48 PM
(04-11-2014 12:31 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Hmm. Good point. I never considered that. Perhaps that's why the god of the bible is such a dick. He's gotta entertain himself somehow.

Yeah, if he existed, that might explain a few things. But, of course, a perfect being also wouldn't need to be entertained so there's that too. That's one of the many reasons the god of the bible makes no sense with how he is commonly perceived.