Eternity and boredom.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-11-2014, 11:11 AM
RE: Eternity and boredom.
(05-11-2014 11:06 AM)Rik Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 10:35 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Sure it did moron... I just showed you the biblical difference between infinite and eternal.

Why should a non-Christian give a shit about any Biblical explanation?

Here are some reasons:

1. Intelligent discourse demands at least a passing familiarity with another's viewpoint. I'm enjoying this forum because I learn what others believe, and have some of my misperceptions corrected--and people are willing to do that here very freely! Smile

2. The Bible, love it or leave it, is a seminal book in much of culture and worldwide.

3. Israel is a living archaeology dig and Bible history and news is the history, right or wrong, of the Ancient Near East.

Those are just 3 reasons to encounter the Bible from an intellectual, not emotional, standpoint, as you seem to be doing. Be an atheist if you must, but know why you disbelieve what you disbelieve.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post
06-11-2014, 11:23 AM
(05-11-2014 08:17 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 10:58 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I get this. You exist now and when you die you will have existed. You will always have existed. Or no matter what happens in the future you exist now and will always have existed now. That is a fact unless somebody in the future invents time travel to the past. That doesn't seem likely to me but who knows.

I would use the word "exist" and not "existed". Does a place cease to exists when you move out of it? No? Why then should a point in time cease to exist when you move out of it? My past and my future exists in the exact same sense that my present exists.

You can return to and others can occupy a place you have left. Try the same with time.
Find all posts by this user
07-11-2014, 06:42 AM
(06-11-2014 11:23 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  
(05-11-2014 08:17 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I would use the word "exist" and not "existed". Does a place cease to exists when you move out of it? No? Why then should a point in time cease to exist when you move out of it? My past and my future exists in the exact same sense that my present exists.

You can return to and others can occupy a place you have left. Try the same with time.

That is a good point. The time dimension is different then the spatial dimensions in that respect. But just because it has escaped you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

A light bulb emanates photons. The ones emanating from the bulb in direction that is away from you and into space....you have no hope of ever observing. Just because they have become unobservable to you doesn't mean they have ceased to exist.
07-11-2014, 08:49 AM
(06-11-2014 11:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. Intelligent discourse demands at least a passing familiarity with another's viewpoint. I'm enjoying this forum because I learn what others believe, and have some of my misperceptions corrected--and people are willing to do that here very freely! Smile

Agreed. If you're going to discuss a particular passage or theme in the Bible, or look for a justification for a Christian's beliefs, you absolutely have to care what the Bible says. If someone is talking about gay marriage, and someone else brings up scripture, then it is fair to categorize it as "opinion". It's all about getting on board for certain assumptions on any given topic.
07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
(07-11-2014 06:42 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(06-11-2014 11:23 AM)OddGamer Wrote:  You can return to and others can occupy a place you have left. Try the same with time.

That is a good point. The time dimension is different then the spatial dimensions in that respect. But just because it has escaped you doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

A light bulb emanates photons. The ones emanating from the bulb in direction that is away from you and into space....you have no hope of ever observing. Just because they have become unobservable to you doesn't mean they have ceased to exist.
Still not the same. Those photons are not accessible to us, but are observable and can effect as themselves something else in the universe. A photon that is entirely absorbed no longer exists. There may be energy still around, but the photon itself is gone. Once a moment of time is passed it is entirely and universally inaccessible. It no longer is in the category 'exists', it is in the category 'existed'. It did exist previously but does not now exist, though the continued effects of it having existed persist. When we die, the effects of our life (things we made, recorded events, memories) will persist, but we will not. Will will become 'existed' not 'exists'. The only way I can see around this is to push the first law of themodynamics, that energy can neither be created nor destroyed. However at the quantum level this is untrue, and insisting a log burned to produce fire 'still exists' seems rather off since it is no longer a 'log', but has been transformed into something else.