Ethical Issues with a potential job...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-07-2011, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 26-07-2011 04:25 PM by Paleo.)
Ethical Issues with a potential job...
So... I just got off the phone with my aunt who was having another one of my aunts help me find a job.

Other than the fact that I'm going to be pressed for time this semester since these will be the last courses I need for my associate's, I have a bit of an ethical issue with the place that was suggested by my aunt.

She knows someone who works at a Dollar General, but... I would have issues working there.

See... my mom worked there as an assistant manager last year, and there was a robbing that took place there. Two guys came in with AK-47s, and apparently one of the employees was in on the robbery. She was able to save herself while the guys took the money that was in the cash registers. Luckily, she had already taken in the rest of the money for the day's shift into the store's safe in a locked room where she hid.

My mom already suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder due to a terrible accident with a tractor-trailer truck when she was 9 years old, witnessing the death of her father. Her entire family was in the car and she was the only one who had any memory of what happened that day. She had already been compromised due to this condition but she was able to keep her ground and saved Dollar General a potential loss. It took her nearly 9 months to finally get her worker's compensation from Dollar General, and she wasn't given that much. Basically what I'm trying to say is that she was screwed over by the corporation.

So... I mentioned how I had ethical issues with taking a job at certain places to my aunt and she gave me this long-winded speech about how a "job is a job" and that I need to see the bigger picture. My mom will be moving down to Wilmington, NC soon, where she used to live back in the early 00's, and the worst part of what my aunt said to me was that perhaps what happened at Dollar General was a good thing because of the "Good Lord"s plan for her. I think that is just a despicable thing to say that someone's tragedy is a good thing. I suppose the accident she had as a kid was a 'good thing' too if you go by that logic.

I'm just wondering what I should do for a job... I was thinking about speaking to a counselor at my college, to see what my best options are.

Anyway... what do you think of my situation?

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-07-2011, 07:24 PM
RE: Ethical Issues with a potential job...
Well , it depends what you can live with. I work for a corporation - I don't like it , but in the end I have a choice between living of my parents backs or working for a living.
Make a choice so that YOU can live with YOURSELF. If you find a job contradicts your own personal convictions and you are willing to face the consequence of being jobless then reject the job offer.
As for corporations , here's the sad fact , if you aren't part of management or own a serious position - you are a cubical rat. Nothing more. It's sad , but it's the truth. There are many people who would take your job , even if it isn't great , just for the money. Don't expect any special treatment, unless you play a key role , or have a very decent boss, you won't get it.

My advice in short , do what you are morally comfortable with and be aware of the consequences of your choices and how they affect your life.

I took a job , because i felt like a parasite on my parents back. I don't like it. I hate the bureaucracy but the boss is ok and the colleagues are great.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
26-07-2011, 09:02 PM
(26-07-2011 04:20 PM)Paleo Wrote:  Anyway... what do you think of my situation?

Try being a hippie working for the Department of Defense for 25 years. Then we can discuss moral issues with your job together. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
27-07-2011, 12:05 AM
(26-07-2011 07:24 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I took a job , because i felt like a parasite on my parents back. I don't like it. I hate the bureaucracy but the boss is ok and the colleagues are great.
Hey Gaglamesh.
Good to see you again.
Glad you fond a job.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
27-07-2011, 03:58 AM
I couldn't work for a corporation either. Being a number that needs to produce money to pay for the decadent lifestyle of the stockholders, never...

"If we fire 10% of the stupid peasants, the others will work harder out of fear and then we'll be able to get a bigger bonus; YEEAAAH!"

[Image: performance-bonus.jpg]

Ok, government officials are often parasitic pigs that spend more time thinking about personal gain than the wellbeing of the people, but since I'm obliged to pay taxes either way, I have the feeling of getting screwed a little less. I'm probably just fooling myself, but I can't think of anything where I'm not being abused for the personal gain of someone else...

Ok, there is:
-beggar: not a bright future in that
-career criminal: some major safety issues
-psychotic dictator: looks nice, but it's quite hard to get the job
-sect leader: beautiful women, loads of funds, but unless you perform some miracles, people might think you're a fraud. And the collective suicide might scare off some people too...

Well, you're screwed: accept it! Tongue

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 1 user Likes Thammuz's post
27-07-2011, 05:28 AM
If I were you I would probably take the job. If I didn't have anything else, so just for now, until I would find something better. What happened to your mother was bad, but the robbery was not the company's fault, although they could have been more generous after the event. But you could have expect that from some stupid corporation, that is not something I would be mad at, it is (unfortunately) normal thing in todays world. So if you can work the job they give you, why not, until something better comes along, try it. Everywhere you go will be similar picture, nobody cares for their employers, unless you work for Google. Smile And even if something better does not come along, and you feel too pressured on the job, you can always quit, can't you? So try it for a week and then decide will you stay or go. That is my opinion of this situation.

And as for your aunts Lord's Plan, that is so sad and (I'm sorry but) stupid thing to say. And yes, she does feel that you mothers tragedy from her childhood is also a part of Gods Big Plan, He did it all on purpose and with reason. If anybody were to say that about my mother (in a similar situation), I would have slapped him/her across the face, no matter who it was. Sorry.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
14-09-2011, 10:24 AM
Focus should be on getting yourself gainfully employed. Take the Dollar General job, learn as much as you can, get as many hours as you can without compromising your studies, and go to counselors at your college who might be able to give you better job placement advice. They might be able to find an internship program that would be right for your area of study. Start networking, put your name and face out there in the halls of your field of study and with your counselors and administrators; let them know you mean business!
You may not know exactly where you want to be right now, but you know exactly where you do NOT want to be -without funds to complete your education.
Do not worry about your Mom and Aunt - they have their own lives - the best thing you can do for them, is to live yours. You will make them soooo proud when you receive that diploma. (They secretly hope that you graduating is God's plan but they don't want to say it out loud -because that might be telling HIM what to do and you know how HE hates that!!) Angel

I think you will do fine. Cool

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
14-09-2011, 01:11 PM

(26-07-2011 04:20 PM)Paleo Wrote:  Anyway... what do you think of my situation?

OK, who pushed my buttons?

JOBS!

We gotta have them.

What is the range of options?

Work for a munitions factory?

Can you live with the knowledge that the bullets you helped make will probably tear the bodies apart of innocent people you have never seen?

Yet millions do that. A job is a job, right?

Work for a bank?

Help the bastards throwing families out of their homes, to the sidewalk, after they had tricked them into ‘buying’ homes the couldn’t afford?

Work for Walmart?

The company that takes out life insurance on their employees most likely to croak and, when it happens, throw the widows out of their premises?

So what is the solution?

Start a small business.

Probably I am cutting my own throat here (CMOT Dibbler here) but how about getting into the used-book business? We have been doing it for years, successfully. No up-front investment, you can do it at home at your leisure, over the internet and it beats the heck out of selling fish. We can sell text-books for $140 that cost us only $1 at the local library sale.

My advice: don’t be a wage-slave.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
14-09-2011, 05:58 PM
If you are good with electronics you can do what I do and sell human powered bike generators and windmills... if you want to turn it into a real business as opposed to a hobby that pays for it's self, you would need about a 3000 dollar investment.

Are you good with computers? Start advertising amongst friends and family for your skills as a the 'computer guy'.

Do you have a truck or the means to purchase one? Start a small moving company

but you are in college and probably need a job that is relatively hassle free. Have you tried working at your campus book store or cafeteria? They usually hire students before regular workers and sometimes there are benefits like discounted meal plans, books, or even tuition!

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
14-09-2011, 09:48 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2011 10:05 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-09-2011 01:11 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  Work for a munitions factory?

Can you live with the knowledge that the bullets you helped make will probably tear the bodies apart of innocent people you have never seen?

This hippie has worked my entire 25 year career for a DOD research lab which has been instrumental in developing munitions technologies to tear apart the bodies of all form of life I have ever or never seen, irrespective of their innocence or guilt. This is in the name of the cause of protecting the lives of people I have seen, like, and love. I can live with that without liking it.

I have a vague, queasy inkling of what Oppenheimer must've felt when asked about the Manhatten Project, "We knew the world would not be the same. A few people laughed, a few people cried, most people were silent. I remembered the line from the Hindu scripture, the Bhagavad-Gita. Vishnu is trying to persuade the Prince that he should do his duty and to impress him takes on his multi-armed form and says, 'Now, I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.' I suppose we all thought that one way or another."

I think I feel for those poor conflicted bastards ...

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.