Ethical Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2012, 04:45 AM
Ethical Question
Would it be unethical for me to apply to work in a church? The job opening is in the office, so I wouldn't be teaching anything that I don't believe, but for some reason I feel as though it would just be wrong.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2012, 05:02 AM
RE: Ethical Question
Will they ask you for a reference from your pastor?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
12-06-2012, 09:27 AM
What? As opposed to not working, and starving, and becoming a felon, and going to the joint to become Bubba's butt buddy?

In the practical sense, no. In the philosophical sense, a code of ethics is local to the individual. You're gonna hafta slog through that one yerself.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-06-2012, 09:31 AM
I think personally there are two reasons why it would become unethical.

1) If you lied to get the job.
2) If you had to do things you didn't believe were right.

Actually three...

3) If you were adamant that the church was the devil, and you despised their very existence.

But if it's between eating and not eating, the role ethics plays becomes different.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
[+] 4 users Like lucradis's post
12-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Ethics aside, since we atheists have none, it really sounds like it would be more trouble than it's worth. If its a big church, they probably will have staff meetings that will essentially be prayer meetings and Bible Study times. You'll answer phones and people will ask you to pray for them. Your co-workers will share "what the Loooooord" is doing in their lives and expect you to try to top their experience. The pastor will ask a lot of probing questions about your walk with Jeeeesus. I can't imagine any church would pay enough money to endure the constant God talk and spiritual harassment. The economy isn't great, but surely this is not the only job opening there is. Why put yourself through so much hell, so to speak?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
12-06-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah, huh? A workplace fulla ST Rangers. Run for you lives! Big Grin

I think church is the devil. Went with my buddy to an AA meeting in a Catholic church. Place gave me the creeps. Keep expecting 'em to be made of bones and shit.

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-06-2012, 10:24 AM
(12-06-2012 10:21 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Yeah, huh? A workplace fulla ST Rangers. Run for you lives! Big Grin

I think church is the devil. Went with my buddy to an AA meeting in a Catholic church. Place gave me the creeps. Keep expecting 'em to be made of bones and shit.
Yeah, Johnny. Churches are made out of bones and shit. Einstein Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
12-06-2012, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't do it. I would go work somewhere else if at all possible simply because I don't support what churches do or teach (except maybe a unitarian church because I don't think they really teach a single dogma and rely instead on the messages within all religious stories. Kind of like looking for Disney-movie style morals in ancient myths, I could be wrong though). For me it would be because of my principles more so than whether the church-goers found it ethical or not.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
12-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Know where I wanna work? On the set of a Gwynnie movie. That'd be the end of this guy. Big Grin

[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
12-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Hafnor: I'll give them Seth's number. He's the only guy I listen to for 90 minutes every week.

houseofcantor: It's not like I can't get a different job elsewhere. Besides, I would go home to my parents before I started stealing.

Erxomai: I pretended for 2 years with my family I could do it.

Everyone: Thanks for your opinions. I think I'm going to apply just to see IF I can get the job. Then I'll decide from there.

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like Science Believer's post