Ethics-Moral Relativism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2011, 08:33 AM
RE: Ethics-Moral Relativism
(10-03-2011 11:35 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I fell in love with philosophy last year but I fell in love with prose when I learned to read. Having read some Kant I'm sure you caught how beautifully he writes. Sometimes I get caught up in it and lose analytical objectivity.

Meh. Actually, I think Kant is a terrible writer, as well as a mediocre philosopher. His ideas are too abstract and divorced from reality to have any real use (which is a common problem with philosophers, I've noticed), and he couches it in some of the most excessively verbose writing I've ever seen outside of a Stephen R. Donaldson book. If I'm reading for entertainment, that's fine. If I'm looking for spectacular insights into the nature of reality, I'll take it in plain English, thank you very much. Too much effort for too little return.

In any other genre, Kant would be a fine writer. But writing beautifully is not the point of philosophy. He needs to reign it in. Save the florid prose for fiction. If he wrote anything else, I could go with it.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2011, 08:47 PM
(11-03-2011 08:33 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(10-03-2011 11:35 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  I fell in love with philosophy last year but I fell in love with prose when I learned to read. Having read some Kant I'm sure you caught how beautifully he writes. Sometimes I get caught up in it and lose analytical objectivity.

Meh. Actually, I think Kant is a terrible writer, as well as a mediocre philosopher. His ideas are too abstract and divorced from reality to have any real use (which is a common problem with philosophers, I've noticed), and he couches it in some of the most excessively verbose writing I've ever seen outside of a Stephen R. Donaldson book. If I'm reading for entertainment, that's fine. If I'm looking for spectacular insights into the nature of reality, I'll take it in plain English, thank you very much. Too much effort for too little return.

In any other genre, Kant would be a fine writer. But writing beautifully is not the point of philosophy. He needs to reign it in. Save the florid prose for fiction. If he wrote anything else, I could go with it.
I basically began at the beginning, and I'm working my way to the modern era philosophically. He is the best rationalist I've found thus far. As far as reading him goes, just about anything I read for both education and entertainment, so while I see understand your "just the facts" stance, I still enjoy him. My biggest dig with him is the phenomena/noumena claim, it calls back to the same criticism of Plato's dualism. Why explain this reality by creating another?

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
11-03-2011, 09:35 PM
When I read Aristotle I asked why I had not been read this as a child. Aristotle basically created the entire point to much of what we do, and at least I would've slightly understood some of our inane actions. Read more Mackie he's a pretty interesting philosopher. Locke is a bastard whose only real accomplishment was his wax study which begins wonderfully and ends as I give up praise god. Other than that he offered such gems as animals don't feel, they are like robots. He and his group dissected living animals without any sort of anesthetics. I like utilitarianism though it was better presented by John Stuart Mill than by Jeremy Bentham. A lot of newer philosophers go overboard with the sanctity of animals piece since death is a constant in the world. I'm not someone whose studied a huge variety of philosophers, but that's my suggestions. I like the field but would like to do something more practical.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
25-04-2011, 10:18 AM
I have to agree with gaglamesh731, took the words right out of my mouth!

Quote:"Morality will always be subjective - because it will always be seen through human eyes."

Enough said!

Quote:"Religion poisons everything." - Christopher Hitchens