Ethics and Morals Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Rthics and Morals Forum
I am suggesting that Thinking Atheist needs to add a forum for Ethics and Morals. Usually this seems to be consider an aspect of philosophy, but it seems to be a much larger issue. Involving the problems of human cognitive thinking, ideologies, politics, cultures and other larger issues.

I note that with the proposed GOP program of eliminating ACA, experts tell us many tens of thousands may die each year if that is passed. But the GOP seems determined to do it anyway. Why? How does that work? Why does ideology trump morals?

Lately there have been controversy as some public scientists has claimed philosophy isn't important. But if ethics is part of philosophy, where are the organized voices of ethicist/philosophers?

If one becomes an atheist, one abandons the idea that ethics is something we get from God. So where does an atheist go from here? Can the atheist movement light a fire under the somnolent ethicist/philosophers? And politicians? And peddlers of bad ideologies? If not us, who?

Ethics and morals have outgrown philosophy as such. It is time to start thinking more deeply about all of this.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2017, 12:56 PM
RE: Rthics and Morals Forum
What is "Rthics"?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Ethics and Morals Forum
I am suggesting that Thinking Atheist needs to add a forum for Ethics and Morals. usually this seems to be consider an aspect of philosphy, but it seems to be a much larger issue. Involving the problems of human cognitive thinking, ideologies, and other larger issues.

I note that with the proposed GOP program of eliminating ACA, experts tell us many tens of thousands may die each year if that is passed. But the GOP seems determined to do it anyway. Why? How does that work?

Lately there have been controversy as some public scientists has claimed philosophy isn't important. But if ethics is part of philosophy, where are the organized voices of ethicist/ philosophers?

If one becomes an atheist, one abandons the idea that ethics is something we get from God. So where does an atheist go from here? can the atheist movement light a fire under the somnolent ethicist/philosopher? And politicians? And peddlers of bad ideologies? If not us, who?

Ethics and morals have outgrown philosophy as such. It is time to start thinking more deeply about all of this.

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
11-07-2017, 01:01 PM
RE: Ethics and Morals Forum
(11-07-2017 12:56 PM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  What is "Rthics"?

It's call a typo, son.

Cheerful Charlie
11-07-2017, 01:01 PM
See discussion on LBGT forum, nope go start a thread this does not warrant an additional forum as it fits neatly under philosophy.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
11-07-2017, 01:15 PM
(11-07-2017 01:01 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  See discussion on LBGT forum, nope go start a thread this does not warrant an additional forum as it fits neatly under philosophy.

What an immoral and unethical response Drinking Beverage

I demand a linguistic subforum. With a semantics, syntax, morphology and phonology sub-subforum Angel

[Image: are-we-there2.jpg?w=875&h=]

[Image: prefixation.jpg?w=875&h=]

[Image: lovers-quarrel1.jpg?w=875&h=]

[Image: they-think-hes-lost.jpg?w=875&h=]

[Image: emotional-detachment1.jpg?w=875&h=]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like Vera's post
11-07-2017, 01:53 PM
(11-07-2017 12:50 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I am suggesting that Thinking Atheist needs to add a forum for Ethics and Morals. Usually this seems to be consider an aspect of philosophy, but it seems to be a much larger issue. Involving the problems of human cognitive thinking, ideologies, politics, cultures and other larger issues.

I note that with the proposed GOP program of eliminating ACA, experts tell us many tens of thousands may die each year if that is passed. But the GOP seems determined to do it anyway. Why? How does that work? Why does ideology trump morals?

Lately there have been controversy as some public scientists has claimed philosophy isn't important. But if ethics is part of philosophy, where are the organized voices of ethicist/philosophers?

If one becomes an atheist, one abandons the idea that ethics is something we get from God. So where does an atheist go from here? Can the atheist movement light a fire under the somnolent ethicist/philosophers? And politicians? And peddlers of bad ideologies? If not us, who?

No, we already have the philosophy section, ethics and morals doesn't require a subforum -- it would be redundant.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-07-2017, 02:17 PM
(11-07-2017 12:58 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  If one becomes an atheist, one abandons the idea that ethics is something we get from God. So where does an atheist go from here? Can the atheist movement light a fire under the somnolent ethicist/philosopher? And politicians? And peddlers of bad ideologies? If not us, who?

One thing which has impressed me following various atheists' arguments in on-line forums for all these years is the quality of their moral arguments. Theists argue in favor of their own social groups based on their own belief systems, but atheists avoid such favoritism and see human commonalities between groups based on their scientific and naturalistic perspectives of human nature. This means that scientists and naturalists, if not atheists, have the means to bridge gaps between communities and nations in ways which more ethno-centric belief systems do not. We can and do stand for science, reason, and equality as applied to legal, political, and moral issues.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
11-07-2017, 08:51 PM
I do not think we should be giving special treatment to moral people.

[+] 4 users Like GenesisNemesis's post
12-07-2017, 06:02 AM
(11-07-2017 12:50 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I am suggesting that Thinking Atheist needs to add a forum for Ethics and Morals...

I'd consider it unnecessary. We already have a plethora of forums which include ethical and moral issues by default.

Quote:I note that with the proposed GOP program of eliminating ACA, experts tell us many tens of thousands may die each year if that is passed. But the GOP seems determined to do it anyway...

TTA is an international forum, but this comment seems to indicate a certain unconscious America-centralism on your part. I'm guessing this could skew many of your ethical viewpoints anyway, as Americans are often more egotistical, nationalistic, jingoistic, and puritanical in comparison with those outside its borders.

Quote:If one becomes an atheist, one abandons the idea that ethics is something we get from God.

Nope. I've never thought of my ethics as something we get from mythical gods. If one really feels a need for a third party to dictate one's ethics, then there's not much hope for them. Or they remain a theist.

Quote:So where does an atheist go from here? Can the atheist movement light a fire under the somnolent ethicist/philosophers? And politicians? And peddlers of bad ideologies? If not us, who?

There is no atheist "movement". I'm not sure that you fully understand the meaning of the term. An atheist is defined solely on their singular, personal disbelief in the existence of God or gods. Atheists can hold vastly different opinions on all sorts of things form politics to economics, to science, and to the arts. We're not some contiguous group like a religious group.

We don't need to "go anywhere from here".

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post