Ethics and Morals Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2017, 07:36 AM
RE: Ethics and Morals Forum
(11-07-2017 08:51 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I do not think we should be giving special treatment to moral people.

Missed the point of the last thread.
LGBT is not a choice. Being an ill/moral person is. Thus it wouldn't be giving special treatment to anyone because anyone can be a moral person.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2017, 11:11 AM
The deaths and illnes boils down to values of what they evaluate the caring health vs the authority distrust of government inclusion and financial independence

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
12-07-2017, 12:19 PM
(12-07-2017 07:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(11-07-2017 08:51 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I do not think we should be giving special treatment to moral people.

Missed the point of the last thread.
LGBT is not a choice. Being an ill/moral person is. Thus it wouldn't be giving special treatment to anyone because anyone can be a moral person.

It was a joke. Lighten up, buderoonie.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
12-07-2017, 05:14 PM
(12-07-2017 12:19 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 07:36 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Missed the point of the last thread.

It was a joke. Lighten up, buderoonie.

It was a poor joke based on wrong information.
12-07-2017, 08:11 PM
(12-07-2017 05:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 12:19 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  It was a joke. Lighten up, buderoonie.

It was a poor joke based on wrong information.

Dude can't take a joke. Dodgy

12-07-2017, 09:42 PM
(12-07-2017 08:11 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 05:14 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It was a poor joke based on wrong information.

Dude can't take a joke. Dodgy

Why'd the chicken cross the road?

Because Genesis is an idiot.
12-07-2017, 09:47 PM
(12-07-2017 09:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 08:11 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Dude can't take a joke. Dodgy

Why'd the chicken cross the road?

If you had my life experience, you wouldn't be calling me an idiot.

13-07-2017, 02:16 AM
(12-07-2017 09:47 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 09:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Why'd the chicken cross the road?

If you had my life experience, you wouldn't be calling me an idiot.

Technically, if earmuffs took your life experiences and left you with none, 'idiot' might be good label for what remains.

Angel

That's the kind of thing that can be non-emotively discussed on an ethics/morality forum.

Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-07-2017, 02:27 AM
(11-07-2017 12:50 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  I am suggesting that Thinking Atheist needs to add a forum for Ethics and Morals. Usually this seems to be consider an aspect of philosophy, but it seems to be a much larger issue. Involving the problems of human cognitive thinking, ideologies, politics, cultures and other larger issues.

I note that with the proposed GOP program of eliminating ACA, experts tell us many tens of thousands may die each year if that is passed. But the GOP seems determined to do it anyway. Why? How does that work? Why does ideology trump morals?

Lately there have been controversy as some public scientists has claimed philosophy isn't important. But if ethics is part of philosophy, where are the organized voices of ethicist/philosophers?

If one becomes an atheist, one abandons the idea that ethics is something we get from God. So where does an atheist go from here? Can the atheist movement light a fire under the somnolent ethicist/philosophers? And politicians? And peddlers of bad ideologies? If not us, who?

Ethics and morals have outgrown philosophy as such. It is time to start thinking more deeply about all of this.

Science without philosophy is blind. It doesn't even work, in fact, without borrowing concepts such as logic. They are intertwined in such a way that they can't be separated.

I agree that large portions of philosophy amount to thought experiments with no practical applications, but there are areas which are still extremely important in my opinion. Like you say, ethics is a cornerstone. Science can never tell us what we should do with the results.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post
13-07-2017, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2017 06:11 AM by GenesisNemesis.)
(13-07-2017 02:16 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 09:47 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  If you had my life experience, you wouldn't be calling me an idiot.

Technically, if earmuffs took your life experiences and left you with none, 'idiot' might be good label for what remains.

Angel

That's the kind of thing that can be non-emotively discussed on an ethics/morality forum.

Big Grin

I'll change it around, then. If he understood what I've been through in life, and how I've been dealing with those situations, he wouldn't be calling me an idiot. For that matter, I've said in another thread I would stop insulting him. He is continuing to insult me.