Ethics and Morals Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2017, 06:28 AM
RE: Ethics and Morals Forum
Also I wouldn't personally discuss ethics and morals non-emotively, considering that a large part of ethics and morals is fundamentally based on compassion, and those ethical/moral values can't be properly understood without a sense of compassion.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2017, 06:35 AM
(13-07-2017 06:28 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Also I wouldn't personally discuss ethics and morals non-emotively, considering that a large part of ethics and morals is fundamentally based on compassion, and those ethical/moral values can't be properly understood without a sense of compassion.

Yabut, there's no need to get emotional about it.

Angel

13-07-2017, 06:45 AM
(13-07-2017 06:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-07-2017 06:28 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  Also I wouldn't personally discuss ethics and morals non-emotively, considering that a large part of ethics and morals is fundamentally based on compassion, and those ethical/moral values can't be properly understood without a sense of compassion.

Yabut, there's no need to get emotional about it.

Angel

How do you know to what extent I'm emotional based on this text alone? I'm no longer provoking earmuffs and I'm simply stating my position on things.

13-07-2017, 06:53 AM
(13-07-2017 06:45 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(13-07-2017 06:35 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Yabut, there's no need to get emotional about it.

Angel

How do you know to what extent I'm emotional based on this text alone? I'm no longer provoking earmuffs and I'm simply stating my position on things.

Hehehe.

Nope. I meant... when discussing topics, that involve emotions, in a philosophical / ethical setting there's no need to actually become emotional.

It was supposed to be a little play on words.

Perhaps a little too subtle. Sorry.

Blush

13-07-2017, 06:58 AM
(13-07-2017 06:53 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-07-2017 06:45 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  How do you know to what extent I'm emotional based on this text alone? I'm no longer provoking earmuffs and I'm simply stating my position on things.

Hehehe.

Nope. I meant... when discussing topics, that involve emotions, in a philosophical / ethical setting there's no need to actually become emotional.

It was supposed to be a little play on words.

Perhaps a little too subtle. Sorry.

Blush

No problem, I just woke up so I tend to misinterpret things more often after waking up. I get that you don't have to become emotional but you do have to understand the personal experience of compassion in order to understand compassionate values, rather than dismiss compassion completely, for example.

13-07-2017, 07:18 AM
I'll also add that some highly stressful events in my life have led me to being more distrustful of others, as well as more passive aggressive, so I tend to use things like arguing as an outlet. I realize that it's not exactly a good outlet because it only feeds my passive aggressiveness more, and I'd rather focus on bettering myself. That's what I meant when I mentioned my life experience.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
13-07-2017, 07:35 AM
(13-07-2017 07:18 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  I'll also add that some highly stressful events in my life have led me to being more distrustful of others, as well as more passive aggressive, so I tend to use things like arguing as an outlet. I realize that it's not exactly a good outlet because it only feeds my passive aggressiveness more, and I'd rather focus on bettering myself. That's what I meant when I mentioned my life experience.

If you want to discuss it, I can split this part of the thread and move it to the Health and Psychology section (or the PI&S section).

I'm sure there are many here who have used similar coping mechanisms and may have suggestions / advice.

Lemme know.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-07-2017, 09:44 AM
Whether or not a subject should be given its own subsection shouldn't actually be based on the subject matter at all. It should be based on :

1) Whether that topic can't be properly addressed under an existing forum.
2) Whether the main topic description is broad enough to encompass multiple lines of discussion.
3) Whether there seems to be enough interest in the topic to sustain multiple threads on an on going basis.

I mean look at the TTA teen section, it was a good idea, it just never maintained enough interest to keep it going. Maybe it should actually be removed and have the threads folded into another section.

There's also an "adult" section around here somewhere, is there anything going on in there? If not maybe to it's time to chuck it out also...although I guess in that case it should just be locked up and not have the threads moved anywhere.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
14-07-2017, 02:15 AM
Everybody already pretty much said that a Ethics and Morals section isn't actually needed here so I won't repeat it like a dumb parrot... Ooops

(13-07-2017 09:44 AM)unsapien Wrote:  There's also an "adult" section around here somewhere, is there anything going on in there?
Yes occasionally, and more than in the teen section, something is going on there.

[Image: lr4u2.jpg]

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post