Etiquette

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Etiquette
This is beginning to get to me.

I'm a polite person nine times out of ten. But I'm getting frustrated by this. It seems like when dealing with Christians I'm expected to jus sit and be quiet. Example: we were in political science course (which I am REQUIRED) to take. We were watching a vid on the westboro baptist nutters for a bit on free speech. I stood up and walked out because I didn't want to listen to that hate speech. When the vid was over I was called intolerant and rude for not respecting their religious views. Wtf? (Not the TA, he understood, the other students)

There is a creatard in a class on environmental engineering, where we are talking about animal and plant adaptation to environmental changes such as pH. I'll let that sink in for a moment. Anyhow he tends to speak loudly before class on his disdain for evolution and about forcing Christianity on others. I'm not saying anything but I was listening with my earbuds to atheist vids and pods and they might've seen and now I'm the bitch.

Wtf? I'm turning the other cheek, I'm not imposing my belief on them. But I'm supposed to remain unseen and silent. How is that fair? I'm glad no one has slashed my tires (again) but the hostility is daunting.

This is a public state university so I could file a complaint, but it's oklahoma and judging from how prof Dawkins was treated when he went to OU I don't think it would go well.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
10-03-2014, 09:44 AM
RE: Etiquette
Stop oppressing the Christians at your university with your arrogant silence. You have no right to not believe in their god after they have repeatedly explained to you that you should. Dodgy

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 9 users Like Stark Raving's post
10-03-2014, 09:44 AM
Probably wouldn't go too well. Sucks, honestly though, you're paying for the tuition. I would suggest moving (if possible) or submit a go ahead and make a formal complaint anyways. Get your money's worth.

Atir aissom atir imon
10-03-2014, 09:52 AM
Beliefs are not subject to respect. Plain and simple.
10-03-2014, 11:28 AM
Gotta love double standards.

I hate how because I'm atheist, I "believe in nothing", therefore my beliefs aren't important, but other people's religious beliefs are important. If I tell them that my first amendment rights to choose my religious beliefs are important to me, they'll act like it's something different.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
10-03-2014, 11:39 AM
Whoa. Wait. There are actual Christians that support Westboro?

Ummm

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
10-03-2014, 11:55 AM
(10-03-2014 11:39 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Whoa. Wait. There are actual Christians that support Westboro?

Ummm

You'd be surprised... it's really sad and very pathetic.

Atir aissom atir imon
10-03-2014, 12:15 PM
(10-03-2014 09:38 AM)natachan Wrote:  Example: we were in political science course (which I am REQUIRED) to take.
We were watching a vid on the westboro baptist nutters for a bit on free speech. I stood up and walked out because I didn't want to listen to that hate speech.

You got up and walked out of a class called "political science".

Has your course covered the bit about how the world is run by the people who show up?
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
10-03-2014, 12:26 PM
(10-03-2014 12:15 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(10-03-2014 09:38 AM)natachan Wrote:  Example: we were in political science course (which I am REQUIRED) to take.
We were watching a vid on the westboro baptist nutters for a bit on free speech. I stood up and walked out because I didn't want to listen to that hate speech.

Has your course covered the bit about how the world is run by the people who show up?

Has your pre-school covered the section on "deductive reasoning" yet? Didn't think so.

OP specifically stated that they were REQUIRED to take the class. From that, I can deduce that they don't have any interest in taking a political science class. From that, I can deduce that they don't intend on running the world (being a politician).

Still with me? Didn't think so.

Make a valid point or go be a dickhead elsewhere.

Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
10-03-2014, 12:30 PM
(10-03-2014 12:15 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  

Do you ever, actually, fully read a post/comment? Just curious. Cause if you do and this is all you can come up with, then this gif represents you perfectly:
[Image: UVMV7ZB.gif]

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 4 users Like Im_Ryan's post