Eugene

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-08-2014, 01:30 PM
RE: Eugene
(10-08-2014 01:27 PM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  I never said I favored instituting some law or policy. I ask you guys questions to see if you thought it would cause less suffering in the World!

Not everything that reduces suffering is good. Sterilizing people is going overboard.

Have you ever read the Giver? That book describes a society where they do reducing suffering far too far.

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-08-2014, 01:32 PM
I have not read that book but if we put a bullet in the head of everyone who is suffering, that would relieve suffering. Relieving suffering is not the be all end all and can be a terrible decision. Every suicide is probably motivated to relieve suffering (Aside from those militant muslims who's primary goal is to kill civilians.)
10-08-2014, 04:41 PM
(10-08-2014 10:45 AM)Wicked Clown Wrote:  Okay, so what if everyone who is dangerously obese, or any one that had a disease or defect that is notorious for being passed on to children, had not bred in the last two centuries.

Would we have a better world?

Wouldn't it ease so much suffering if we steralized everyone with HIV for instance?
Hypothetical questions deserve hypothetical answers.
And this isn't even a good question, it's an argument from consequences. Just because something has good consequences (accidentally?) does it mean we should do and repeat the action, because it is good? Nope.

And nope, I think sterilization or mass killing would cause much more suffering than obesity. Obese people have relatives, you know. And these relatives somehow love them, despite of the high tide on the sea of flesh, as FSOL would say.
[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post