Euthanasia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2017 10:47 AM by RearViewMirror.)
Euthanasia?
I'm sure somewhere in this forum this subject has been brought up before and if it has I apologize in advance.

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on Euthanasia?

I'm certainly not talking about suicide but a physician assisted practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering due to a terminal illness. Working in my line of work I see patients needlessly suffering and that wish to die. We do sometimes get a DNR (do not resuscitate) order upon arrival and when I receive the official form I'm relieved that we do not have to work the patient that has no quality of life and does not wish to have any action performed upon them that would extend their suffering. I admire people that have the courage to sign a DNR.

And I suppose while I'm on the subject of quality of life. There comes a point in time that your quality of life becomes less than your quantity of life.
I'll give an example... My Grandfather is 97 years old and is in "relatively" good health considering. He takes no medications but he is frail. He uses a cane to walk but other than that he is of sound mind. He is very religious (which is a problem) but he wants to die. He has outlived his "useful" life. He's always says "I don't know why the Lord doesn't just take me". Now I realize that statement to the vast majority of us on here doesn't register correctly but the underlying meaning is the same. He wants to die. His belief would hold him back from that, but if he was not religious or a non believer then it begs the question... Why shouldn't we be able to choose the time of our death with dignity? He has outlived everyone he has ever known with the exception of his family which consists of my Mother, Father, and me.
My Grandmother passed away about 20 years ago with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). During the last few months of her life she needlessly suffered and had to be constantly suctioned because she couldn't swallow along with a myriad of other effects of the disease that I won't go into. Why would she not be a candidate for euthanasia? She wanted to die but her religious beliefs stood in the way of that also.

With the exception of a few countries euthanasia is not a common practice. The common ground that I can attribute the non action towards this process is based in religion or belief (though I'm sure there are precedent laws out there also but I'm not a lawyer).

We have no issue with putting down a pet once their quality of life becomes unbearable to them. And as many well know, some pets are part of "your" family. Why shouldn't we be afforded the same luxury?

I'm interested in hearing your responses and thoughts. I'm sure I missed a few things but it's early and I just got off duty from the FD and have not slept in almost 36hrs.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like RearViewMirror's post
16-04-2017, 10:45 AM
RE: Euthanasia?
Here in Oregon we have the death with dignity act.

https://www.deathwithdignity.org/

These guys are working on helping other states achieve the same.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
16-04-2017, 10:49 AM
(16-04-2017 10:45 AM)Dom Wrote:  Here in Oregon we have the death with dignity act.

https://www.deathwithdignity.org/

These guys are working on helping other states achieve the same.

Thank you for the link. Hopefully it will gain traction throughout the country. I'd imagine much "pushback" will come from the Bible Belt (which I unfortunately live in) but it's good to see some action being taken.

[+] 2 users Like RearViewMirror's post
16-04-2017, 10:54 AM
To my knowledge, so far Oregon, Washington, Vermont, Montana, California, Colorado and the District of Columbia have this law, or a variation thereof.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
16-04-2017, 11:04 AM
Canada has physician-assisted suicide for terminal illnesses. It doesn't go far enough IMO but it's a start.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 4 users Like Paleophyte's post
16-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Euthanasia?
I am for it. I think it is cruel to make someone suffer until they pass. It should be the choice of the person to do it.
[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post
16-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Euthanasia per se is illegal in Australia, although it's not a crime for a person to take their own life. Furthermore, a patient can elect not to receive any treatment for a terminal illness and can also elect to have their life support turned off. It's also a crime for any person assisting with euthanasia.

However, euthanasia is often performed very clandestinely by doctors, as an omission to provide life-sustaining medical treatment is lawful in Australia—unless the patient is deemed mentally incapable of consent.

When each of my 95-year-old parents were admitted to hospital for the (as it turned out) final time, I signed a DNR authority for them.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 3 users Like SYZ's post
16-04-2017, 02:55 PM
(16-04-2017 10:37 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I'm sure somewhere in this forum this subject has been brought up before and if it has I apologize in advance.

I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on Euthanasia?
Yes please. It seems absurd that we force people to either stay alive in misery or to kill themselves in a risky way.

(16-04-2017 10:37 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I'm certainly not talking about suicide but a physician assisted practice of intentionally ending a life in order to relieve pain and suffering due to a terminal illness.
Why limit euthanasia from those that have massive mental anguish?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
16-04-2017, 03:08 PM
(16-04-2017 02:55 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Why limit euthanasia from those that have massive mental anguish?

My intent wasn't to put a limit. Massive mental anguish is a bit of a grey area though. Not saying what you put forth isn't valid but It's easy to see the rationale behind what I was speaking about in my original post. Terminal illness is much easier to identify and if there is no chance of survival or returning to a life that has quality then I see no reason we should not be able to determine the time of our death.

It's much harder to (IMO) define mental anguish. Seems a bit like jumping into the realm of suicide and I'm not sure suicide clinics (so to speak) is what I had in mind in my original post. I'm not discounting what you posted. Again... it's a grey area that we can certainly discuss.

16-04-2017, 03:17 PM
I think it's a crime that when my dad was at the end and suffering with pain that could not be eased, his only option was to have his lady friend drive to his house and get his prescription of Oxy so that he could take an overdose.

He was in a facility and was on palliative care only. I watched one of the nurses slump against the wall, in tears, outside his room because she could not give him enough medication to relieve his pain without killing him.

I know dad's friend still agonizes over the decision. Dad wasn't able to do it himself and he didn't ask any of us kids to do it while we were there just a week before. My brother wouldn't have. My sister may have...I would have because it was ridiculous to have him just wither away in his own waste.

It's inhumane to make a person die like that...especially when they are fully aware of what's going on and can articulate same.

When a person makes an informed decision to speed up the inevitable and to escape some of the pain there should be allowances for that to happen.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 9 users Like Anjele's post