Euthanasia and the Pope

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Euthanasia and the Pope
I know there's a thread about euthanasia somewhere in the health section, but this seemed to drag things off topic a little, so I started a new one.

Two days ago, my terminally ill uncle got sent home from the hospital. After suffering for 4 years, he was still denied the right to die. So when he got home, he sent his wife to the shop, sent his nurse outside, and shot himself.

I find it amazingly brave for him to have chosen to die with dignity and end things on his own terms. And i find it amazingly absurd that he should be denied that right because the pope declared he knows better than his family or himself what's good for him.

This makes me angry on so many levels:
Why does the pope think he can lecture us about our sex lives when he's a self-professed virgin.
How can tell the poor how to live when he's rolling in cash.
How can he tell me how to die when he isn't terminally ill and in pain?

Because of religion, my uncle's family had to come home and find him with his brains blown out, instead of the other scenario: He could've said goodbye, they could've prepared themselves for the inevitability. They could've known what was coming and been with him in his last hours.

This isn't really about my uncle. This is about euthanasia and the right to die, and I just brought it up because of recent events to I wanted to put things in context.
Active euthanasia is still illegal in Ireland, and as far as I know it's for entirely religious reasons.
Are there any secular reasons against it?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2012, 03:51 PM
RE: Euthanasia and the Pope
(15-01-2012 03:33 PM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  I know there's a thread about euthanasia somewhere in the health section, but this seemed to drag things off topic a little, so I started a new one.

Two days ago, my terminally ill uncle got sent home from the hospital. After suffering for 4 years, he was still denied the right to die. So when he got home, he sent his wife to the shop, sent his nurse outside, and shot himself.

I find it amazingly brave for him to have chosen to die with dignity and end things on his own terms. And i find it amazingly absurd that he should be denied that right because the pope declared he knows better than his family or himself what's good for him.

This makes me angry on so many levels:
Why does the pope think he can lecture us about our sex lives when he's a self-professed virgin.
How can tell the poor how to live when he's rolling in cash.
How can he tell me how to die when he isn't terminally ill and in pain?

Because of religion, my uncle's family had to come home and find him with his brains blown out, instead of the other scenario: He could've said goodbye, they could've prepared themselves for the inevitability. They could've known what was coming and been with him in his last hours.

This isn't really about my uncle. This is about euthanasia and the right to die, and I just brought it up because of recent events to I wanted to put things in context.
Active euthanasia is still illegal in Ireland, and as far as I know it's for entirely religious reasons.
Are there any secular reasons against it?

If we're only talking about a person's right to end his or her own life, there are some ethical issues. I do believe that a one should be able to die with dignity, but only when confronted with a terminal illness and able to give informed consent.

Every other case has many ethical issues.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-01-2012, 03:55 PM
So sad to hear of your situation. I fully agree, it should never have had to come to that. Religion really does make things worse in the long run.

We treat our pets better at the end of life and hope humanity gets a clue on this one.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2012, 03:56 PM
What a tough choice your uncle had to make.
Not sure about arguments, but last night I watched a Frontline Documentary called The Suicide Tourist.
It's the portrait of a man with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) who travels to Zurich, where Physician Assisted Suicide is tolerated. He clearly outlines his reasons for choosing death over total paralysis and then follows him as he makes the final decision to drink the sedative that would kill him. It was very inspirational and very sad at the same time.

It can be seen and read about here:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/...rist/view/

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
15-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Why would anyone force me to live if there is not much 'living' for me?
Am I not the one who should decide if I want to live or die? Am I not the one and only owner of my life?

If it's thought out decision, then why not?
16-01-2012, 12:24 AM
If we are willing to end the life of an animal because it's suffering why on earth would the church want us to suffer?

The Catholic church believes that suffering brings one closer to god. By confronting our mortality we gain a greater grasp of our own self in Christ.

Of course those of us who take a moment or two to allow our empathy to take over and ask if we would really ever want someone we love to suffer reality becomes very clear.

Personally I think the Catholic view is selfish and just plain immoral. It's the same reason why Mother Teresa never allowed anesthetics to be used in her hospices.

Take a look at her Nobel prize speech if you want to recognize how willing holy people are to have others suffer for their view of life.

http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/p...cture.html
16-01-2012, 08:07 AM
The way i see it, people who are determined to kill themselves when faced with terminal illness might still end up doing it
like your uncle, Euthinasia allows for closure with loved ones and a humane and painless way to die
Because of that a lot of people go through severe pain with suicide, and botched suicide attemptes may leave them
paralyzed and unable to make a second attempt or suffer through life in a vegitative state.

The rules i think Euthinasia should adhere to are
Should be preceded by councling and therapy to see if the problems are psychological or mental illnes (depression, Schitzophreniea, etc.)
and see if that person is making a conscious decision.
Informed Consent
And Personal decision (you cant decide for someone else or a minor)

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
16-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Hey, Smoosh.

I'm so sorry, brother. That's really awful. All my love goes out to you and to your family. In French, at times like these, we say "courage."

The Catholic church isn't the only entity that is against euthanasia. It's illegality is far more widespread than its acceptance. I support euthanasia and have always been angry that it's such a taboo.

I think that there are other churches outside of the Catholic church that ban euthanasia (like the Evangelicals that fought against letting Terry Shiaivo die) and that the majority of states worldwide that ban it. It's a sad state of affairs, but it's not just a religious issue.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
16-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Thank you Matt, and thank you everyone for the replies.

I was a little angry when I wrote that post. When you live in a very catholic country, sometimes it feels like what the pope says has way too much influence on matters that should be none of his business. I am very glad I joined this forum for a place to discuss issues like this. It has never been something that affected me personally before. I now have a much greater appreciation for euthanasia and medically assisted suicide and I will do what I can to fight for it here.

Cheers guys.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
16-01-2012, 01:43 PM
That's sad. I don't think I would use euthanasia myself, but I support people's right to it if that's what they want.