Euthanasia anyone?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Euthanasia anyone?
The right to die is a multi faceted question, if ever there was one, with pros and cons all over the place.
The late Jack Kevorkian (Dr Death) had very strong views holding that even young depressed people should be euthanased if they so desired. This rather sounds like overkill of the worst order. Francis Crick one of the co founders of D.N.A. is said to have claimed that 80 year olds should be compulsorily put down. So much for grey power.Here in Australia Dr Philip Nitshke works tirelessly for the right to die and has invented 'kind suicide machines 'to achieve that purpose.
The questions I would suggest we should be looking at, and there are many, include age, prognosis, degree of pain,choking etc, lack of dignity (incontinence etc) and depressions. It is odd, to say the least, that depression can be used as criterion to oppose euthanasia. "Give her some prozac and then we'll try and do something about that acute pain".
Palliative care is generally recommended as an alternative; however there are some illnesses, the pain of which do not respond, even to morphine.
Two other issues I see as troblesome involve Church and family.
Some see taking an even acutely suffering life as an affront to God, while selfish relatives refuse to 'let go' in order to satiate personal needs rahter than those of the victim.
There are of course negatives relating to mercy killings that involve possible new cures, patients made to feel a nuisance, lack of adequate palliative care etc.
I trust this extremely scant overview will encourage further debate. Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
04-09-2011, 06:42 PM

RE: Euthanasia anyone?
This is one subject I do feel very strongly about.

In my view no human being has the right to tell another when and how they can die. Death is probably the most personal matter for every one of us and our desires should be respected over and above any other consideration..

That being said, I think it is the responsibility of every one of us to make provisions and arrangements for this contingency. No person has the right to demand that another should perform a mercy-killing on their behalf.

Three years ago my wife of thirty years had cancer – we weren’t sure if she could recover. We had a pact and made arrangements to deal with the end, together, if it was necessary. Luckily, she recovered (cross my fingers) and we are still going strong.

However, if it came to that, I would not hesitate for a second to end her suffering, if it became hopeless and unbearable and, at the same time, end mine as well.

I was never afraid of death and I have lived a very happy, full life – I could be ready to go at any time.

Here, I was talking only for myself and, to be honest, I am not much interested in the social implications of official euthanasia. I will let the lawyers take care of it. I will take care of my own affairs without them.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
04-09-2011, 06:59 PM
I have an idea. Instead of promoting euthanasia, how about finding cures for terminal illnesses? It may not be easy as it sounds, but by ridding of cancer/HIV/etc once and for all, there is no need for euthanasia. Regarding psychological mishaps such as depression, the best cure is support from your friends and family.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
04-09-2011, 07:26 PM
I am pro euthanasia all across the board. The only stipulation I would place on it would be that unless over the age of consent, the only reason to legally choose euthanasia would be pain or terminal illness. However I feel that as soon as the age of consent is reached it should be yours, and yours alone, to choose what you should do.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
04-09-2011, 08:59 PM
(04-09-2011 06:59 PM)robotworld Wrote:  I have an idea. Instead of promoting euthanasia, how about finding cures for terminal illnesses? It may not be easy as it sounds, but by ridding of cancer/HIV/etc once and for all, there is no need for euthanasia. Regarding psychological mishaps such as depression, the best cure is support from your friends and family.

That will be fine, when it happens, and i suppose by then there won't be quite so many terminally ill people who could be kept half-alive for months or years, against their own wishes.
It still won't cover extreme burns, paralysis, or other injuries beyond repair. People sentenced to life imprisonment should also have a choice of euthanasia.
Psychological mishaps vary considerably in severity and symptoms; some unbearable and incurable and often a threat to other people - the sufferer's family, for example, who are trying to be supportive, and might have their lives endangered or ruined or simply wasted in the service of a patient who doesn't want this sacrifice and feels even worse the whole time he's forced to accept it.

Meanwhile, we need to know when to give up trying. Most doctors and nurses do know which of their patients are beyond any help they can offer, and no longer able to enjoy anything about their pathetic remnant of a life. Some medical personnel help those patients exit quietly - and have done for decades, centuries, probably millennia - whether it's legal or not.

Whether it's legal or not, it's right. Terminal patients already have the right - in civilized countries, anyway - to refuse treatment, or specify at what point they want no further intervention (DNR) Why not include that last logical step?

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
04-09-2011, 11:01 PM
(04-09-2011 08:59 PM)Peterkin Wrote:  
(04-09-2011 06:59 PM)robotworld Wrote:  I have an idea. Instead of promoting euthanasia, how about finding cures for terminal illnesses? It may not be easy as it sounds, but by ridding of cancer/HIV/etc once and for all, there is no need for euthanasia. Regarding psychological mishaps such as depression, the best cure is support from your friends and family.

That will be fine, when it happens, and i suppose by then there won't be quite so many terminally ill people who could be kept half-alive for months or years, against their own wishes.
It still won't cover extreme burns, paralysis, or other injuries beyond repair. People sentenced to life imprisonment should also have a choice of euthanasia.
Psychological mishaps vary considerably in severity and symptoms; some unbearable and incurable and often a threat to other people - the sufferer's family, for example, who are trying to be supportive, and might have their lives endangered or ruined or simply wasted in the service of a patient who doesn't want this sacrifice and feels even worse the whole time he's forced to accept it.

Meanwhile, we need to know when to give up trying. Most doctors and nurses do know which of their patients are beyond any help they can offer, and no longer able to enjoy anything about their pathetic remnant of a life. Some medical personnel help those patients exit quietly - and have done for decades, centuries, probably millennia - whether it's legal or not.

Whether it's legal or not, it's right. Terminal patients already have the right - in civilized countries, anyway - to refuse treatment, or specify at what point they want no further intervention (DNR) Why not include that last logical step?

I have to agree with you there. It all boils down to how strong the person's will is to live on in this cruel world.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
05-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Death happens. We have no way to stop it. We can influence how it happens - messy or clean, easy or difficult, painful or peaceful. We interfere with birth and illness and injury and every natural function, right down to sweat. Where is the logic in making this one an exception?

Maybe it's a holdover from religion. The xtians are really screwed-up on this issue. They say, look forward to heaven, coz life is crap. But it's sacred crap, so you must not interfere with god's will by aborting a foetus, even if it kills the mother, so it's okay to kill abortionists and other killers and maybe witches, but you must interfere and oppose god when he's trying to kill somebody with leukemia or if he only killed their brain not their lungs.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
05-09-2011, 12:36 PM
"You don't know Jack" is a great movie staring Al Pacino about Dr. Jack Kevorkian and completely changed my mind on this subject. As was stated by his attorney though "Right message, wrong person." He was a little overboard with it. He tried to shock and awe rather than trying to appeal to humanity.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
05-09-2011, 05:18 PM
(04-09-2011 06:42 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  This is one subject I do feel very strongly about. ... However, if it came to that, I would not hesitate for a second to end her suffering, if it became hopeless and unbearable and, at the same time, end mine as well.

Me too. I've had a go-bag ready for decades. It's the only one truly inalienable right. No fucker can take it away from me.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-09-2011, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-09-2011 03:15 AM by Filox.)
As long as person can hold a gun in his/hers hand, there is no need for outside help. If a person is unable to do it alone, physically, not mentally, then some kind of help would be appreciated. But for a physically healthy person to seek out help of somebody else to kill them, it is just wrong. If you want something that serious and that difficult, do it yourself, if you able to. If you "don't have the strength" then you are not ready to leave this existence, so stop pretending and live you life, awaiting a more natural death. When you are ready, nothing will stop you from taking your life. This opinion does not include people who are disabled and can not do it themselves. I have no opinion about that subject, because it comes naturally that you would end the suffering of a tortured human being. I mean, we do it to animals and pets who suffer, but not to humans? What??

Am I right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson
Scroll down to the DEATH section and see how it is done and why.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post