Euthanasia case in NZ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 03:08 PM
Euthanasia case in NZ
A lady in NZ has brain cancer and is looking to change the law so that she can choose euthanasia.

This article pleads for the "sanctity of life" and state that the author finds euthanasia offensive.
I don't think either of these positions holds any water although I understand some people think these arguments to be profound.
I don't know how this really justifies the government interfering in people's lives.

Anyway, just posting this as Euthanasia is a topic I'm interested in and am hoping it becomes legal.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/articl...d=11456922
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2015, 03:19 PM
RE: Euthanasia case in NZ
It seems the author here is allowing his own fear of death to force unneeded and unwanted suffering on another person. He quite clearly states he has no reason for doing so other than this vague unease of death. One will hope the Judge in this case shows more empathy towards the person actually being affected and not to fear of death.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
29-05-2015, 03:21 PM
(29-05-2015 03:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  A lady in NZ has brain cancer and is looking to change the law so that she can choose euthanasia.

This article pleads for the "sanctity of life" and state that the author finds euthanasia offensive.
I don't think either of these positions holds any water although I understand some people think these arguments to be profound.
I don't know how this really justifies the government interfering in people's lives.

Anyway, just posting this as Euthanasia is a topic I'm interested in and am hoping it becomes legal.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/articl...d=11456922

What an idiot that NA columnist is ; ""The principle recognises that human life is a basic, intrinsic good." The law was designed also to protect the vulnerable."

Really ? And life is still still "good" when it's reduced to excruciating pain ?
Fuckin' amateur. Knows NOTHING about what he's spewing out his ass.
I sentence him to 6 months work in a hospice for his complete stupidity.
Individual's PAIN is not about his fucking "principles".

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-05-2015, 03:40 PM
The fight against legal euthanasia is based on religious belief. Because you are going against god's plan, or god's will, if he wanted you "home" he would call you, and you would die.

I wish every person who thinks it is ok to deny a person dying from a painful terminal illness the right to die with dignity on their own terms a long painful death so they can see how that works out for them.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
04-06-2015, 10:36 PM
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/69112451...ourt-rules

Looks like she did not win her case, instead the judge said it was up to parliament to implement law regarding euthanasia. I must say I do agree with the judge. Here in NZ we have common law so while judges can set precedence and effectively effect law with their rulings, it's not their role to actively change the law. That is left to parliament to do.

It'll be interesting if this issue is raised in parliament (to an extent that something actually gets done about it). I suspect it wont be, it's an uncomfortable topic and politicians would rather keep status quo than piss people off. Particularly National. Peters might bring it up.

edit: Oh nevermind, read the rest of the article. It's already been brought up in Parliament. 75% of the country are pro-euthanasia apparently.

[Image: oscar.png]
04-06-2015, 11:20 PM
(04-06-2015 10:36 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  edit: Oh nevermind, read the rest of the article. It's already been brought up in Parliament. 75% of the country are pro-euthanasia apparently.
Just in case anyone is interested, the lady died this morning (of natural causes - cancer).

John Key doesn't mind going against public opinion e.g. in an official poll commissioned by the government 87% of NZers didn't want an anti-smacking law however John decided to put the law in.

I don't hold much hope in politicians changing law for euthanasia, they'd be too scared to lose voters. Those that oppose Euthanasia are likely to be very opposed. For some reason they want terminal patients to suffer.
The thing about supporters for Euthanasia, it really only becomes a big thing when you have a loved one who is currently or recently suffering. Otherwise it is a topic that is out of mind.
04-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Why is she asking for permission?
I understand that having assisted euthanasia puts the doctor at legal risk, but I'm sure she could come up a with way to do it herself painlessly. Especially if the doctor advised her "off the record".
I agree it should be legal, hopefully it will be one day.
Until then, fuck the law.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
04-06-2015, 11:38 PM
(04-06-2015 11:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  Why is she asking for permission?
I understand that having assisted euthanasia puts the doctor at legal risk, but I'm sure she could come up a with way to do it herself painlessly. Especially if the doctor advised her "off the record".
She's a lawyer and she wants to make a difference.
She want's the doctor to be able to do it in a controlled fashion and possibly at a point past where a sufferer with a degenerative disease is capable of doing it themselves.
04-06-2015, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2015 12:07 AM by pablo.)
(04-06-2015 11:38 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 11:26 PM)pablo Wrote:  Why is she asking for permission?
She's a lawyer and she wants to make a difference.
She want's the doctor to be able to do it in a controlled fashion and possibly at a point past where a sufferer with a degenerative disease is capable of doing it themselves.

I think it's been mentioned that usually the only time this law is challenged is when someone who is already dying decides to do so. Once the main proponent dies, the case tends to lose its momentum.
When lawyers think nothing of euthanasia until they find themselves (or a client) dying, it isn't enough.
The courts need to be constantly forced to address the issue.
05-06-2015, 12:06 AM
What if she decides to use a gun?