Poll: Should euthanasia be legal for children?
Yes, (taking into account legal restrictions)
No, never!!!
Other (please specify)
[Show Results]

Euthanasia in Belgium: children's right to die

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 03:09 AM (This post was last modified: 17-02-2014 01:02 AM by Thammuz.)
Euthanasia in Belgium: children's right to die
The Belgian Parliament adopted a bill that extends the right to euthanasia for minors. Euthanasia is now possible for minors:

-under the age of 18 (logical)
-terminally ill, no perspective of a cure whatsoever
-experiencing intolerable suffering
-with their own consent
-consent of the parents
-consent of doctors, a psychologist, etc.

Articles on CNN and Fox (remarkably unbiased article)

So, what's you opinion? Is this humane? Is this 'a step too far'? Can children decide what's right? Where's "the line"?

I advise you to carefully read the requirements, unlike some fundies who claim that doctors or parents can now legally kill kids without a good reason.

*edit: typo

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-02-2014, 03:12 AM
RE: Euthanasia in Belgium: children's right to die
I think euthanasia should be considered a human right, so that's good news imo.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 7 users Like nach_in's post
14-02-2014, 05:36 AM
I can't see much wrong with it.
14-02-2014, 06:15 AM
Yup. Looks like there might be sufficient checks and balances.

... a suitable number of hoops to jump through so that only a determined few will have the stamina to get through the process.

And those without the stamina ... more frustrated and suicidal than ever, I guess.

14-02-2014, 06:23 AM
Far as I can see, choosing to die should be a human right extended regardless of age, just like freedoms of speech, expression, religion and association, but as with all freedoms, reason must be applied when allowing is exercise.

As for the 'can children decide what's right', I'm not sure. Most children I have experienced live in a world of black and white completely right and completely wrong, these kids, they don't think about dying so I've seen, but when you have a kid who will consider dying of their own accord, that kid is smart enough to see the grey, those who can decide or even contemplate that sort of thing are, I feel, mature enough.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
14-02-2014, 09:32 AM
Just 4 votes for now, all in favor. Do atheists have less respect for human life, even when it's the life of children? On the contrary. We value our lives very much, but we have a different idea on what living means. Most people wouldn't think twice in putting an animal out of its misery, but the same mercy is not granted to those who supposedly should count more. A 12 years old knows what dead means, in fact I believe that when children aren't protected from the truth, they could grasp much early the concept of suffering and dying. It's horrible to think that children should choose how to die, but we can't save them all or prevent all the bad things from happening. I understand the religious view on the matter, because pain and suffering are often considered a good thing (facepalm), but children and parents should have the right to choose when living is just unbearable. Let's not kid ourselves though, because you can't force doctors to kill children, and if a lot of them are against abortion, we can guess how small the number would be of those agreeing to do it.

The real gospel: Jesus went rogue and preached love instead of genocide. God got angry and went old testament style on Jesus's ass, setting him up to be tortured and killed. The End.
[+] 3 users Like Alexandro's post
14-02-2014, 02:23 PM
This problem also raises the theological question of why a loving God would make a small child suffer intolerable pains. To strengthen his faith? Even if hasn't reached an age where's he able to grasp religious concepts?

"Maybe it's to test the parents?" Well, that would be a complete dick thing to do as well, punishing other for someone's sin (but then again, that's grudge carrying ol' Yahweh)

I can't think of a single good reason to hold back such a law. And any doctor seriously concerned with the well-being of his patients should also recognize that. Someone praising the lord for this wonderful opportunity to experience Christ's suffering should have his license revoked.

I just hope this law can make some suffering children die in a dignified way, surrounded by their loving families, so that their last thoughts are happy ones, far away from the pain.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
15-02-2014, 04:06 PM
I was talking about this with a friend the other night. I can't imagine having to make that choice myself, but I can't imagine having to watch my children slowly and painfully die.

My biggest argument is that younger children can't understand what is happening. An adult patient with a terminal illness can understand the treatments, the outlook, what's causing their pain, etc. Kids really can't. If my child were terminally ill, no hope of a cure, in constant pain, I don't think I could live with that. And I wouldn't want a child, who can't really understand what's happening, to be forced to endure such agony and for what? I'm not Mother Theresa, I don't believe that suffering cleanses the soul. I would want my child to no longer suffer. What is the purpose of keeping a young child living for weeks or months in agony with no hope of recovery? I may not believe in an afterlife, but I still think that an end to this life is preferable sometimes.
16-02-2014, 11:39 AM
It would suck to not be allowed to die so YES YES YES!
16-02-2014, 12:27 PM
This is the most humane thing ever.
It's a disgrace that in most countries, including my own, you can have a pet put to sleep when it's suffering and dying, but if a person is suffering and dying and consciously wants to die is forced to carrying on suffering horribly for however long their illness takes to kill them. We treat sick animals with more humanity than we treat people. If I was terminally ill I'd like to think I could choose the point at which life ended. I might not want to spend the last few months of my life in pain, unable to walk and wearing adult nappies/diapers, and the thought that that could be forced on me (and is regularly forced on others) is scary.
People should have choices, regardless of age.
[+] 1 user Likes NoraBrimstone's post