Poll: Should euthanasia be legal for children?
Yes, (taking into account legal restrictions)
No, never!!!
Other (please specify)
[Show Results]

Euthanasia in Belgium: children's right to die

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-02-2014, 01:21 PM
RE: Euthanasia in Belgium: children's right to die
No one should be forced to suffer horribly because dying would make other people uncomfortable. Thats torture.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Well.
Who knew?

Children CAN give informed consent after all.
That will please a lot of ppl in Belgium.
16-02-2014, 10:38 PM
(14-02-2014 03:12 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I think euthanasia should be considered a human right, so that's good news imo.

What about selling (or renting) your body parts?
16-02-2014, 10:43 PM
(16-02-2014 10:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(14-02-2014 03:12 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I think euthanasia should be considered a human right, so that's good news imo.

Looking to put a down payment on a brain?

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
17-02-2014, 01:00 AM
(16-02-2014 10:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  

Subject is off-topic and considering your reputation, I wonder which logical fallacy you're going to use next? Reductio ad absurdum or the slippery slope fallacy? Maybe someting more creative? You know, atheists chopping up babies for profit?

Please share your insights on the subject at hand and use arguments to explain your thesis. "Jeebus sez its wrooong and ya'all baby eators gonna BURN in hell" isn't an argument, so please refrain from using it.

Have a pleasant day, sir. Drinking Beverage

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
17-02-2014, 01:48 AM
I had a niece who died of cancer. She was diagnosed at the age of 1 with terminal cancer. Her mother was told treatments could extend her life; her mother chose treatments. They (the medical community) began treatments on her right away.

Tara lived four more years in pain and suffering. The last 8 mo. of her existence consisted of sign language tutoring because her treatments had rendered her deaf, and she was going blind. I remember looking at her little dried husk of body, laying in a coffin and thinking, she doesn't look human, but more like an off planet alien.

Some time after Tara's death, her mother and I spoke. At the initial diagnoses, the treating doctors did not encourage Tara's mother to think about refusing treatments. And legally would they have let her? The idea presented to her was one of life even though Tara's little body never had a chance. Her mother is haunted with the long and horrific death her child experienced.

When the diagnosis is terminal, the quietest, most painless death should be within reach. I always believed the medical community was criminal in Tara's case.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
17-02-2014, 02:21 AM
Hey Dee, thanks for sharing your story. I was really touched by it and can't even grasp the idea of it happening to my kids.

Has the situation something to do with you living in Texas or is it unrelated?

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
17-02-2014, 05:09 AM
(16-02-2014 10:43 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 10:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  What about selling (or renting) your body parts?

Looking to put a down payment on a brain?

Bahahahaha I just died!

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
17-02-2014, 05:18 AM
Thammuz,

I was going to mention that I am in the USA. In comparison to Belgium, it may make a difference. Maybe they have a higher social consciousness or have managed to understand death as the most critical member of life.

The medical focus here seems to be not the quality of life that one has, but that one has life, and more and more . . . For most of the people I know here, in the US, friends, family, and acquaintances, death is a terrible thing to put off at all cost.

I believe for a people to come to believe in euthanasia to the degree children should also be granted choice in the event of a death struggle, something is happening that we in the states are very far from assuming.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
17-02-2014, 05:27 AM
(17-02-2014 01:00 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  
(16-02-2014 10:38 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  What about selling (or renting) your body parts?

Subject is off-topic and considering your reputation, I wonder which logical fallacy you're going to use next? Reductio ad absurdum or the slippery slope fallacy? Maybe someting more creative? You know, atheists chopping up babies for profit?

Please share your insights on the subject at hand and use arguments to explain your thesis. "Jeebus sez its wrooong and ya'all baby eators gonna BURN in hell" isn't an argument, so please refrain from using it.

Have a pleasant day, sir. Drinking Beverage

My 'thesis' is that children can't give informed consent.
If they CAN, then Belgium is setting a landmark legal precedent.

You don't mind if I use the term 'legal precedent' as code for slippery slope do you? Sorry if the implications make you squeamish.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Australian Royal commission into Catholic crimes against children Banjo 9 138 02-04-2014 08:52 PM
Last Post: Banjo
  Children in chemical attack video were kidnapped by rebels then killed later. I and I 19 677 15-09-2013 07:20 PM
Last Post: I and I
  Conservatives rewrite History for Texan Children Debzilla 6 621 25-04-2012 07:41 PM
Last Post: mysticjbyrd
  22 children die in bus crash. Belgium in shock! Observer 29 1,736 18-03-2012 01:00 PM
Last Post: znk666
  Belgium has a federal government: WORLD RECORD now at 540 days Thammuz 2 653 08-12-2011 03:06 PM
Last Post: Observer
  Suffer the Children watchman 3 583 29-10-2011 12:12 AM
Last Post: Hamata k
  Islamic court in Belgium Thammuz 8 1,128 21-09-2011 08:16 PM
Last Post: 17thknight