Poll: Should euthanasia be legal for children?
Yes, (taking into account legal restrictions)
No, never!!!
Other (please specify)
[Show Results]

Euthanasia in Belgium: children's right to die

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 11:58 AM
RE: Euthanasia in Belgium: children's right to die
(20-02-2014 08:49 AM)Sloane Wrote:  I'm concerned for a few reasons. The child can be manipulated or even tricked into opting for euthanasia. Second, toddlers have no sense of time. They can't understand once they're euthanized, they're gone forever. Third, what are they going to do with babies?

I support Belgium's decision because it's humane. I just believe there are grey areas that need to be addressed.

"The new bill would extend the "right to die" to those under the age of 18 only under certain strict conditions, including that the child is judged able to understand what euthanasia means. Consent of parents or guardians must also be given."

I know there are bad people out there but I cannot imagine parents and a medical team working together to kill an unwilling or unknowing child. I am sure this is not an easy process and you most likely have to prove that your child understands what is happening.

I have laughed, in bitterness and agony of heart, at the contrast between what I seem and what I am!
Nathaniel Hawthorne
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes LostandInsecure's post
21-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Why is it so necessary to understand what is happening? I am 13 year old. I have bone cancer. My bones hurt like a motherfucker. I want to die. What is so complicated? You need to give people a lecture to tell em what dying is?
Grow up.
28-02-2014, 02:54 AM
I think it's essential to understand what's happening. Death's a one-way street. It should be talked about and handled with the utmost care. Sometimes, the decision to die is unanimous. Sometimes, it's not. That being said, children, especially younger ones, can be manipulated. As LostandInsecure pointed out, the likelihood of the child's parents and medical team working together to ax an unwilling or unknowing child is unimaginable. However, some people are low enough to exploit loopholes. I'm impressed with Belgium's bill, but I hope its requirements will be enough to prevent such things from happening.

Also, I don't appreciate being told to 'grow up' when I just mentioned my concerns, however ridiculous you may find them. I never said you had to agree with me.

[Image: mrsnail.gif]