Euthanasia - what is so wrong with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Euthanasia - what is so wrong with death?
In response to a very brief conversation with Wazzel, the topic of Euthanasia came up (in response to abortion). I'm not sure if its ever been discussed before, so I apologize if I am kicking a dead horse. But if this horse is dead, than another kick won't bother him.

I admit I know little about this topic so lets start the discussion.

For or Against?

Why?

To begin, I am for the practice, as I believe it falls to bodily autonomy. I have watched loved ones die a "natural" death while they gasped their last breath after struggling to breathe for hours, often days. We ease their pain with morphine, and I do not understand why easing pain (unnaturally) is acceptable, but easing death (unnaturally) is unacceptable.

It boggles my mind the length a person might go to in order to keep someone alive, yet have a hands off approach to allowing that person to die.

Further, lets clarify one very important distinction. The word Natural is not synonymous with the word Good, or the word Better. Dying a natural death is not any better than dying through artificial means.

Go

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
RE: Euthanasia - what is so wrong with death?
Because we're selfish and don't want to feel the pain of a loved one's death.

Atir aissom atir imon
09-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Having worked in long term care (usually of the elderly), I'm all for it.

Right now you can sign a DNR (do not resuscitate) order, and no one will do CPR on you, which is usually what people sign when they know they are not going to get better.

I have no problem letting people choose to die. I would want to make sure health professionals are involved to help ensure they aren't being coerced, are fully aware of the decision, not being manipulated in some way, no mental illness, there might be more, but those types of things.

And in cases of minors, there are even more scenarios, like. The child finds out at age 10 that they have some terminal illness and the parent just doesn't want the burden (or expense) of treatment. Or are in a car accident and paralyzed and the parent decides that the child won't have a good quality of life without legs and decides to terminate then.

So.....definitely oversight on many levels is needed.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
09-04-2014, 09:54 AM
Not quite sure about killing a child because they have no legs, but, if someone wants to die for a health reason, then I have no qualms with that.

Atir aissom atir imon
09-04-2014, 10:14 AM
(09-04-2014 09:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Not quite sure about killing a child because they have no legs...

Indeed.

But who the fuck suggested that?

Not you, I realize and stress, but that's so often the hysterical delusion that comes up from certain quarters... But no, informed consent by competent adults is not THE SLIPPERY SLOPE TO HITLERISM.

(09-04-2014 09:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ... but, if someone wants to die for a health reason, then I have no qualms with that.

Indeed. We already recognize this implicitly, with the likes of DNR requests.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
09-04-2014, 10:23 AM
I have nothing against anyone wanting to end their life themselves as long as they are educated as much as they can be on their choices and predicted outcomes and alternatives.

When the decision cannot be made by themselves then it should be a choice between the closest people to the person and medical staff. They should review the choices of recovery, what sort of quality of life will come if recovery happens and what the person would of wanted.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
09-04-2014, 10:23 AM
(09-04-2014 10:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 09:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  Not quite sure about killing a child because they have no legs...

Indeed.

But who the fuck suggested that?

Not you, I realize and stress, but that's so often the hysterical delusion that comes up from certain quarters... But no, informed consent by competent adults is not THE SLIPPERY SLOPE TO HITLERISM.

I was referring to this statement:
(09-04-2014 09:49 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Or are in a car accident and paralyzed and the parent decides that the child won't have a good quality of life without legs and decides to terminate then.

I read this as "my son lost his legs in a car accident, let's 'terminate' him" No
Also, when the hell did Hitler come into this? Huh
I'm on your side (assumedly). If you have a serious health reason and want to die, then it should be your right, IMO. Though if you're sad girlfriend dumped you, then get over it.

(09-04-2014 10:14 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 09:54 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  ... but, if someone wants to die for a health reason, then I have no qualms with that.

Indeed. We already recognize this implicitly, with the likes of DNR requests.

Yes?

Atir aissom atir imon
09-04-2014, 10:29 AM
We (my siblings and I) are pretty sure that my dad's lady friend brought him pain meds from home to add to what he was being given at the facility he was in.

Dad had three years of increasingly painful and debilitating health issues. He was in pain, his quality of life was virtually nil, and there was no getting better.

He looked me straight in the eye and told me he wanted to die. He couldn't stand the humiliation, deterioration, and pain any more. He was lucid when he said it. He was aware of his situation.

All us kids went to see him and spent a week there. A day or so before we left he told some of the rehab staff goodbye, that he wasn't coming back to see them any more. He also told the docs no more antibiotics or anything beyond pain meds. We all left and he declined further, then my uncle headed to see him and he rallied until the uncle got there and spent a day.

While the uncle was there it's apparent that dad took the extra meds and went to sleep for the last time. I know he planned it that way so that his friend wouldn't be alone (with uncle there) and she obliged his request.

I saw the act as humane. Prior to that, I had some doubts, but in his situation it made perfect sense.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
09-04-2014, 10:32 AM
It was me! I came up with a completely ridiculous scenario - just to say that there needs to be over sight and some limitations. Because, honestly, there are some fucked up people in this world.

I know my friends Dad is getting up in years, has lots of $ in the bank, and a couple REALLY greedy kids, if he ever goes unconscious they are going to try to find a way to end it quick. Just because he's old, has some health issues, doesn't mean he wants to die, but I wouldn't put it past a few of them to say "end it, why waste money on his care, when I can spend it"

09-04-2014, 10:38 AM
There are 2 situations here:

1. Choosing to end your own life.
2. Choosing to end someone else's life.

either way, I feel health professionals should be involved. In the situation that Anj described, it should be totally accepted, the meds provided so when he chooses to take that step it is available.