Euthanasia - what is so wrong with death?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: Euthanasia - what is so wrong with death?
(10-04-2014 07:32 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Tough call, as I'm currently dealing with this with my wife.

When we were younger and discussed Alzheimers, because her step mother had it bad, we agreed that neither of us wanted to live like that and put the other through it.

Tho, now that my wife has strong dementia and her body is rotting away, she doesnt seem to want to give up, and is continuing down a road of a miserable existence, making my life even more miserable than I thought possible.

So what to do? Let nature take its course?

In this case there isnt anything else to do, unless she decides to end it herself, then I wont interfere, nor help.

what about refusing medical treatment? Like antibiotics, etc. if she were to get sick.

My uncle had Alzheimer's and my aunt will refuse antibiotics if he gets sick. He can still feed himself if you put it in front of him, but it has to be pureed. Once he is unable to bring a spoon to his mouth, she will not permit a feeding tube.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
10-04-2014, 11:50 AM
RE: Euthanasia - what is so wrong with death?
I had an aunt with early onset Alzheimers who spent decades in a bed unable to move, being kept alive with intravenous feedings. The only reaction you could ever get from her was tears rolling down her cheeks as you left.

What a horrible, horrible torture that must have been for her. Decades of it.

The reason the word euthanasia get such a negative reaction is that it doesn't specify whether this is according to the individual's wishes or not.

Being forced to live and being forced to die are equally horrible.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post