Euthanasia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2018, 02:00 PM
RE: Euthanasia?
(09-02-2018 03:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  There are threads I wish would expire.

Tongue

You could put them out of their misery . . . Tongue

--
Dr H

"So, I became an anarchist, and all I got was this lousy T-shirt."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dr H's post
02-05-2018, 09:38 PM
David Goodall: Scientist, 104, begins trip to end his life.

On Wednesday, 104-year-old scientist David Goodall bid farewell to his home in Australia to fly across the world to end his life.

The lauded ecologist and botanist is not suffering from a serious illness but wishes to bring forward his death. Key to his decision, he says, has been his diminishing independence.

"I greatly regret having reached that age," Dr Goodall said on his birthday last month, in an interview with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"I'm not happy. I want to die. It's not sad particularly. What is sad is if one is prevented."

In 2016, aged 102, he won a battle to keep working on campus at Perth's Edith Cowan University, where he was an unpaid honorary research associate.

Mrs O'Neill said the dispute in 2016 over Dr Goodall's working space had affected him greatly. The row began when the university raised concerns about his safety, including his ability to commute.

Although Dr Goodall ultimately prevailed, he was forced to work in a location closer to home. It came at a time when he was also forced to give up driving and performing in theatre, Mrs O'Neill said.

"It was just the beginning of the end," she told the BBC.

"He didn't get to see the same colleagues and friends any more at the old office. He just didn't have the same spirit and he was packing up all his books. It was the beginning of not being happy any more."

Dr Goodall's decision to end his life was hastened by a serious fall in his apartment last month. He was not found for two days. Later, doctors said he needed to engage 24-hour care or be moved into a nursing home.

"He's an independent man. He doesn't want people around him all the time, a stranger acting as a carer. He doesn't want that," Mrs O'Neill said.

"He wants to have intelligent conversation and still be able to do the same things like catching the bus into town.

They [my family] realise how unsatisfactory my life here is, unsatisfactory in almost every respect," Dr Goodall told the ABC. "The sooner it comes to an end, the better."

Mrs O'Neill said he had spent recent days revising his final letters and holding conversations with his extended family, including his many grandchildren.

"My feeling is that an old person like myself should have full citizenship rights including the right of assisted suicide," Dr Goodall said last month.

He told ABC he hoped the public would understand his decision, saying: "If one chooses to kill oneself then that's fair enough. I don't think anyone else should interfere."

[Image: _93039572_4b0d84b8-8eff-4b92-a692-0e71c9f7c721.jpg]

[Image: _101110835_davidontractorshovelinpilbarainjuly2017.jpg]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
03-05-2018, 06:58 AM
Too bad they are making the old man fly all over the place to be able to die in pace. I hope it goes smoothly for him.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
03-05-2018, 07:27 AM
(02-05-2018 09:38 PM)Vera Wrote:  "I greatly regret having reached that age," Dr Goodall said on his birthday last month, in an interview with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation.

"I'm not happy. I want to die. It's not sad particularly. What is sad is if one is prevented."

That article got my eye as well, good on ya Goodall.

(03-05-2018 06:58 AM)Dom Wrote:  Too bad they are making the old man fly all over the place to be able to die in pace. I hope it goes smoothly for him.

He has to know he doesn't have to, he has to know about go bags, hell he's a scientist and a botanist/ecologist at that, and he's been a member of Exit International for the last 20 years. He's doing this with Exit International to make a point in the global public square.

Good on ya too Exit International. Smile

There is but one truly serious philosophical problem. - Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-05-2018, 12:08 PM
When my elderly mother went braindead with thyroid complications here in England 20 years ago, we were lucky enough to have a young enlightened hospital doctor who gently suggested to me that it might be best to let her "slip away" peacefully instead of keeping her alive as a vegetable for years to come. So I replied "Yes, do whatever you think best doctor", so they pulled the plug and she slipped peacefully away that night.
I only hope somebody has the decency to pull my plug if ever it needs pulling, so that my soul will be free to fly from a useless body..Smile-
Jesus said:-"The spirit within gives life, the flesh alone is worthless" (John 6:63 )
08-05-2018, 12:23 PM
Religious mumbo jumbo is NOT appreciated in most threads, especially this one.

08-05-2018, 12:48 PM
(08-05-2018 12:08 PM)Propwash Wrote:  Jesus said:-"The spirit within gives life, the flesh alone is worthless" (John 6:63 )

Doesn't take a god to realize that a dead body is -well - dead.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-05-2018, 12:49 PM
(08-05-2018 12:08 PM)Propwash Wrote:  When my elderly mother went braindead with thyroid complications here in England 20 years ago, we were lucky enough to have a young enlightened hospital doctor who gently suggested to me that it might be best to let her "slip away" peacefully instead of keeping her alive as a vegetable for years to come. So I replied "Yes, do whatever you think best doctor", so they pulled the plug and she slipped peacefully away that night.
I only hope somebody has the decency to pull my plug if ever it needs pulling, so that my soul will be free to fly from a useless body..Smile-
Jesus said:-"The spirit within gives life, the flesh alone is worthless" (John 6:63 )

There are no souls, all we are is as a result of our brains and the biochemical and electrical impulses within, nothing more, not a jot, nothing.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
08-05-2018, 12:56 PM
(08-05-2018 12:49 PM)adey67 Wrote:  ..There are no souls, all we are is as a result of our brains and the biochemical and electrical impulses within, nothing more, not a jot, nothing.

What about the ghosts/spirits/poltergeists etc that are sometimes caught on camera in TV shows like Ghost Encounters, are they souls or what?
[+] 1 user Likes Propwash's post
08-05-2018, 01:04 PM
One more idiotic thing that the deluded believe. All non-existent things. Much like your brain Drinking Beverage