Euthanasia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2017, 03:47 AM
RE: Euthanasia?
(18-04-2017 06:50 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(18-04-2017 05:47 AM)AyameTan Wrote:  Permitting end-of-life choice is the only reasonable conclusion. Some pro-lifers are willing to "compromise" by allowing self-starvation and/or dehydration.

How is this in any conceivable* shape or form better or more "moral" or whatever the fuck their objections are? And what the fuck do *their* objections have to do with the life of OTHERS! And what kind of a monster can watch someone die of starvation, all the while being eaten alive by a horrible disease? What is wrong with people?!

Was just recently exposed to such vileness (I don't approve of euthanasia, I don't approve of abortion). Good for you - don't have abortions and die in abject suffering if it comes to this. What right do you think you have to tell others what they can or cannot do or even to pass moral judgements on their choices? Oh, I get it, you've got Jesus in your corner, so your freaking OPINIONS and "feels" matter more than everybody else's.

And *we* are the arrogant and moral-less ones Angry

* conceivable by a normal, not mutilated by religion, cough*motherTheresa*cough brain

It's almost like they want to make Al Qaeda look compassionate. At least the 9/11 hijackers got to die instantly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like AyameTan's post
02-05-2017, 07:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2017 07:58 PM by Vera.)
So, to stop driving myself crazy (well, crazier, really), I've just started watching Mary Kills People. I actually know and like the lead from another show and there's another actor from one of my most favourite shows, ReGenesis (Canadian, full of science and atheists. As the whole world should be, really Rolleyes )

So far I like it (and not just because it's a black comedy-drama which in itself is reason enough to like it) Yes

(Okay, am not too crazy about the Neanderthal-looking, are-you-kidding-me-in-what-world-is-this-attractive romantic interest/antagonist, but nothing's perfect...)

I still wish we would finally start affording our fellow human beings the same compassion we lavish on our pets. But no, for too many, it's apparently much more important not to piss a made-up brute of a god than to spare another human being intolerable suffering.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
04-05-2017, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2017 05:23 AM by Vera.)
So, like I said, I'm watching a series about euthanasia, and of course, I went to read up on certain things, which led me to the wikipedia page on euthanasia. I must say, I really appreciate the way the disambiguation is worded: "This article is about euthanasia of humans. For mercy killings performed on other animals, see Animal euthanasia."

Maybe this will put it into perspective for some people. Though I highly doubt it. Hell, in a recent conversation I had about euthanasia I was told (by a well-educated person) that a) euthanasia is the state killing people and b) that he wouldn't end the suffering of his god because dog wouldn't approve. Oh, I'm so sorry, I got those two mixed up again. Yep, he'd watch his dog suffer because a fictional monster, cooked up by the scared imaginings of primitive minds has other plans for the dog (namely - to watch it die in pain).

Also, this is what we were talking earlier in the thread "Voluntary refusal of food and fluids (VRFF) or Patient Refusal of Nutrition and Hydration (PRNH) is bordering on euthanasia. Some authors classify it as a form of passive euthanasia, while others treat it separately because it is treated differently from legal point of view and often perceived as a more ethical option. VRFF is sometimes suggested as a legal alternative to euthanasia in jurisdictions disallowing euthanasia."

Honestly, I'm not sure I want to live in a world where STARVING a person already in excruciating pain is seen as more "ethical" than letting them leave this world with a little bit of dignity and a lot less pain. Undecided

[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
04-05-2017, 09:32 PM
I've had a nitrogen go bag for decades now. Ain't gonna rely on no doctor.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
05-05-2017, 04:28 AM
You know, Girly, my dearest, I'm starting to wonder about the preservation of wording, though. If nothing else, *I* am doing my part to preserve it, because I keep quoting your signature everywhere I go. It's still the best and most succinct way of putting it I've ever come across. Also, that choosing how and when to end your life is "the only truly inalienable right an individual has".

And then, there is that "eternal existence dilutes me to homeopathic levels" bit, which is sheer brilliance (and I should know - if there's anything I don't totally suck at (and mind you, I'm not prepared to admit there is), it's words Yes )

[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
05-05-2017, 01:33 PM
Girly rocks. He's in my signature, too. And, I'm with him - not relying on doctors for my exit.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
20-05-2017, 12:01 AM
I'm trying to wrap my head around why people object to euthanasia or similar concepts. I know most religious people object to it. I would like to think they're honestly worried about whatever magic part of them continues. When I was Catholic, I was told that officially the Church has realized they cannot understand the mind of the person at the time of death. Therefore, supposedly, they cannot judge if a person is going to hell if they commit suicide. In reality, priests could refuse to perform funerals and could deny burial in Catholic soil. According to them, should you help someone kill themselves, you have committed a mortal sin, not a venial sin. Yadda yadda yadda, normal Catholic bullshit.

The average, day-to-day Catholic probably does think they're doing you a favor by talking you out of suicide or euthanasia. The normal Catholic is concerned with souls and heaven/hell/purgatory. The Church, however... who knows.

For me, obviously I don't believe I have a soul or ka or any other shit like that. If I choose to end my life for physical or mental reasons, why should any asshole be allowed to stand in my way? When my father was dying, we knew his wishes and told them to disconnect the machine and keep him on morphine (I think that was it). My mother personally knew one of Kevorkian's last patients.

Whether people choose to end their physical or mental suffering or not, fuck anyone who thinks they should be forced to live in agony.
20-05-2017, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2017 05:29 AM by BackSlider.)
The movie: "You Don't Know Jack" (Dr Kevorkian is a hero) is so worth the watch. Al Pacino does great.

Just where does this authority come from that overpowers my freewill, to make MY final call?
A proxy of (religious?) moral high ground? As if I have such insufficient morals in regard to my own life that I'm in need of outside intervention?
Really?

Fuc you and your self-perceived higher moral ground.

There really isn't a Christian bible verse that clearly states suicide is an unforgivable sin, so it's (again) left to the biased analytical interpreters.
Fine then bitches, so,
so much for that B.S. of Jesus' perfect sacrifice for my chit on this earth then right?

You have to be odd to be #1.
20-05-2017, 06:34 AM
Yeah, all I've ever heard is - "you can't play god" (and why not, since it ain't doing such a good job itself. Though I guess being non-existent probably *does* get in the way of doing... well, squat, really). Or "god has a plan". To quote the lovely Neil Innes of Monty Python fame: "There's no plan in the planet".

What it all boils down to is if you're unwilling or unable to lessen the suffering of others, at least don't prevent others from doing it and your made-up god monster is no excuse. For ANYTHING, really.

I might check out that movie. I really don't know much about Dr. Kevorkian, just the very basics.

(Am less happy with my series in later episodes - for a series with only six episodes so far, dealing with such complex issues, I'd rather they spent more time on those and MUCH less on the creepy, crappy antagonistic romance between the protagonist and big strong Neanderthal of a cop, complete with every cliche under the sun, including him teaching her how to shoot a gun and of course, he has to touch her and it's oh-so-romantic and hot. Facepalm
(It ain't helping that I find the actor kinda... difficult to look at, to put it mildly. I know it's a horrible thing to say but I really don't like the caveman type, *especially* when they're trying to convince me he is sooooo attractive, that apparently no woman can keep her hands off him. Puh-lease! Facepalm
[Image: 1x04.png]

20-05-2017, 09:01 AM
If this god has a plan, WTF am I ?
If I am able to circumvent his plan, how ordained was that plan in the first place?
Such horse chit to use as a basis from not ending someones pain and suffering who is asking for it.

You have to be odd to be #1.
[+] 1 user Likes BackSlider's post