Euthanasia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-06-2017, 03:14 PM
RE: Euthanasia?
(10-06-2017 02:57 PM)Mircea Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 10:37 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on Euthanasia?

Euthanasia is immoral and should continue to be against the law.

However, Physician Assisted Death (or Physician Assisted Suicide whatever you want to call it) should be permissible.

There is a difference between Euthanasia -- where a 3rd Party like the government is involved, and Physician Assisted Dying, where the patient is in complete control of the process.
Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

Where do these people come from! Facepalm

And sadly, this is not the first time I've heard this ridiculousness "euthanasia is the state killing people". What utter ignorance! How exactly is the state involved? Other than granting permission by making it legal?

What is the difference between voluntary euthanasia and physician-assisted death?

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-06-2017, 03:20 PM
(16-04-2017 10:37 AM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on Euthanasia?

However, Physician Assisted Death (or Physician Assisted Suicide whatever you want to call it) should be permissible.

There is a difference between Euthanasia -- where a 3rd Party like the government is involved, and Physician Assisted Dying, where the patient is in complete control of the process.

[Image: beating-head-against-the-wall.gif]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
10-06-2017, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 03:37 PM by adey67.)

If you are talking about like how it was when Nazi Germany decided to euthanize aka murder the mentally disabled then I agree other than that I disagree, the only part the government should be involved with is passing the legislation to make it possible and legal. I don't think anyone here is suggesting governments should be permitted to euthanize people without their permission but a person should be permitted to euthanize themselves under certain conditions and have the drugs to do it painlessly available to them.
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
11-06-2017, 02:51 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2017 02:56 AM by Szuchow.)

Only difference is arbitrary distinction that you want to make.

(10-06-2017 03:24 PM)adey67 Wrote:  If you are talking about like how it was when Nazi Germany decided to euthanize aka murder the mentally disabled then I agree other than that I disagree, the only part the government should be involved with is passing the legislation to make it possible and legal. I don't think anyone here is suggesting governments should be permitted to euthanize people without their permission but a person should be permitted to euthanize themselves under certain conditions and have the drugs to do it painlessly available to them.

T4 action was just state sponsored murder. Calling it euthanasia only serve to besmirch a noble deed with monstrous connotations.[/i]

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
11-06-2017, 05:40 AM
(11-06-2017 02:51 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(10-06-2017 02:57 PM)Mircea Wrote:  Euthanasia is immoral and should continue to be against the law.

Only difference is arbitrary distinction that you want to make.

(10-06-2017 03:24 PM)adey67 Wrote:  If you are talking about like how it was when Nazi Germany decided to euthanize aka murder the mentally disabled then I agree other than that I disagree, the only part the government should be involved with is passing the legislation to make it possible and legal. I don't think anyone here is suggesting governments should be permitted to euthanize people without their permission but a person should be permitted to euthanize themselves under certain conditions and have the drugs to do it painlessly available to them.

T4 action was just state sponsored murder. Calling it euthanasia only serve to besmirch a noble deed with monstrous connotations.[/i]
Agree.
11-06-2017, 07:54 AM
This is one of the few issues that I actually saw my ultra-conservative sister totally reverse her position on after my mother closed her eyes for the last time, but her body taking eight days to figure out that she was gone. I guess the irony lied in that my mother would NEVER have gone for a quicker or easier "way out" due to her religious convictions regarding suicide.

More ironic still was my sisters statement "I would never want MY children to have to go through what we did" ...since she was childless but married into two children (one out of the house, the other in high school ...and neither want much to do with her or her arguably "toxic" hubby).

I can easily play devil's advocate on this subject though, having a manipulative sister whom if given opportunity, might have tried to pressure my mother into going against her convictions were it legal, and had there been a semblence of lucidity for her to have worked with. Although I'm still firmly FOR assisted suicide in cases of terminal illness, my sisters reversal simply because it was so difficult for HER to watch made me take at least a slightly closer look at the argument against it.
11-06-2017, 02:23 PM
My mother died after suffering from ALS for 4 years, one of the reasons she "chose" to suffer all the way to the end (because my dad was willing to help her end her life if she asked) was that she didn't want her kids ending up in foster care with her gone & dad in jail for helping her end her life.

Helping someone die if they have a terminal illness like ALS should be a no-brainer.

The truly hard cases are the ones like those that my wife has to deal with in long term care. Right now she has two people with Alzheimer's (she has more but these are the ones stuck in my head at the moment), one is a guy that is constantly looking for his wife, asking where is she? (she died years ago) When he is told that she died, he cries as if it just happened, this happens over and over again. The other is a woman that was apparently raped as a teen, twice so far she has attacked my wife yelling things like "why didn't you try and stop him?" like the attack had just happened...it's going to happen again...probably over and over again.

How do we deal with cases like this? It seems as close to torturing a person as you can get, and what makes things that much worst is that most family members don't see this, if your lucky they come weekends, maybe only holidays, if at all in some cases. My wife tells me things like this and I have to listen cause she needs to unload it somewhere.

My post could get worst but, this is as far I was willing to go today...

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 2 users Like unsapien's post
11-06-2017, 02:53 PM
The only reason euthanasia is a taboo subject is because most people are not even remotely attenuated to a realistic world view. If they were, ending suffering wouldn't be such a fucking problem. It's ridiculous that it's even a problem in the first place. Euthanasia should absolutely be an accessible option for anyone in the world, regardless of age, race, and gender. It's your life, and if you can't even end it whenever you want, what kind of freedom do you really have? This is incredibly basic shit. Life is not always "worth living" in all circumstances, go ask someone in the final stages of cancer if life is worth living in that condition. Honestly though, a person shouldn't need to have a terminal illness for euthanasia to be an option, it should be accessible to everyone no matter what.
[+] 1 user Likes Angra Mainyu's post
11-06-2017, 03:01 PM
(11-06-2017 02:23 PM)unsapien Wrote:  My mother died after suffering from ALS for 4 years, one of the reasons she "chose" to suffer all the way to the end (because my dad was willing to help her end her life if she asked) was that she didn't want her kids ending up in foster care with her gone & dad in jail for helping her end her life.

I am sorry. That's some rough stuff for your whole family. And it's also the reason that it should be legalized so that agonizing decisions like your mother made wouldn't be necessary.

hugs...

As for your wife...it takes really special people to work in her profession.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
11-06-2017, 06:23 PM
(10-06-2017 03:14 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(10-06-2017 02:57 PM)Mircea Wrote:  Euthanasia is immoral and should continue to be against the law.

Facepalm Facepalm Facepalm

Where do these people come from! Facepalm

And sadly, this is not the first time I've heard this ridiculousness "euthanasia is the state killing people". What utter ignorance! How exactly is the state involved? Other than granting permission by making it legal?

What is the difference between voluntary euthanasia and physician-assisted death?

Probably the root for that is Hitler and what he did in the hospitals...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man