Euthanasia?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-06-2017, 03:21 PM
RE: Euthanasia?
(11-06-2017 02:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  t's your life, and if you can't even end it whenever you want, what kind of freedom do you really have? This is incredibly basic shit.
Completely agree. Although it does make sense to have some basic safeguards in place, it is nowhere near as difficult as some make it out to be, to make sure a person is not under duress, or is free of entirely treatable clinical depression.

If I had a weight problem for example I can't just walk into a clinic and order up a stomach-stapling procedure like it was a tossed salad; I'd have to go through a process and take medical advice, including a full understanding of side effects and the availability of less drastic options. Still, if I have the will and the $$, I will get the procedure. Same applies to ending one's own life for rational reasons: in an ideal world, it will be a process, just not an onerous or uncertain one.
(11-06-2017 02:53 PM)Angra Mainyu Wrote:  Life is not always "worth living" in all circumstances, go ask someone in the final stages of cancer if life is worth living in that condition. Honestly though, a person shouldn't need to have a terminal illness for euthanasia to be an option, it should be accessible to everyone no matter what.
And requiring an imminent fatal diagnosis is an example of an onerous and uncertain process. In Oregon for example last I knew you need a death sentence and life expectancy of 6 months or less, yet the process of getting two different doctors to sign off on it and waiting for bureaucratic decisions, means you aren't much better off than just waiting and hoping the 6 month estimate is accurate. This is a particularly onerous process for someone who is ill / weak / in pain.

But yes, in reality the reason is no one's place to second guess. People should be able to self-terminate for any reason or no reason so long as it's a non-impulsive, considered decision not made under duress.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post