Evangelical Christian leaders host hated enemies are....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Evangelical Christian leaders host hated enemies are....
Atheists and Secularists!

[Image: exec_4.png]

Im double the hate:
[Image: exec_5.png]

http://pewforum.org/Christian/Evangelica...aders.aspx

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2011, 05:10 PM
RE: Evangelical Christian leaders host hated enemies are....
Wow! Don't know if we atheists should feel complimented or insulted by the results. Nice to know they take us so seriously, at least we are a real threat.

“There is no sin except stupidity.” Oscar Wilde
29-06-2011, 05:33 PM
is it just me or shouldn't all of that be the other way around?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
29-06-2011, 07:54 PM
It's not atheists they fear, it's rationality and reason they fear. And the enlightened among them realize they are ill-prepared to defend against such a foe. They should be frightened. The irony is that the groundwork and foundations of much of Western Philosophy were laid by highly religious men who just happened to also be acutely rational.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like GirlyMan's post
30-06-2011, 01:10 AM
I actually do find this pretty insulting. I mean, they view us as being worse than a religion that advocates stoning people and whose most extreme members get their message across by blowing shit up. Atheists are worse? What did we do?? Is the all the baby eating and satan worshipping do you think?

Also I think the first chart is utterly hilarious. Only 30% & 26% think that evangelical leaders living lavish lifestyles and violating sexual morals is a big threat to their religion. Does that give us some insight perhaps into what proportion of them are shagging rent-boys while downing champagne and snorting coke in their private jets?? Big Grin
30-06-2011, 09:33 AM (This post was last modified: 30-06-2011 09:40 AM by myst32.)
(30-06-2011 01:10 AM)Goddess Aurora Wrote:  I actually do find this pretty insulting. I mean, they view us as being worse than a religion that advocates stoning people and whose most extreme members get their message across by blowing shit up. Atheists are worse? What did we do?? Is the all the baby eating and satan worshipping do you think?

Atheism is a "catch all" group... anyone outside of established religions fall into atheism. So yes satanism and baby eaters and whatever else you can think of would fall into atheism. To hate Muslims is considered "intolerant", to hate Atheism is completely accepted by the mainstream. It will be interesting to watch this change over the next couple years. I suspect as rational thinking, and easy access to information on the internet, eating away at the Religious base that their attacks on "atheism" will only get more venomous in the future.
We should remember that this only reflects the opinions of "Evangelical Protestant leaders"... not the general public. If they were taking the opinions of "Muslim Leaders" the results would differ greatly... though I am not sure atheism would fair any better.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
30-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Actually satanists wouldn't fall into the category of 'atheist' because they do believe in a god, they just choose to worship satan.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
01-07-2011, 12:11 AM
(30-06-2011 09:33 AM)myst32 Wrote:  
(30-06-2011 01:10 AM)Goddess Aurora Wrote:  I actually do find this pretty insulting. I mean, they view us as being worse than a religion that advocates stoning people and whose most extreme members get their message across by blowing shit up. Atheists are worse? What did we do?? Is the all the baby eating and satan worshipping do you think?

Atheism is a "catch all" group... anyone outside of established religions fall into atheism. So yes satanism and baby eaters and whatever else you can think of would fall into atheism. To hate Muslims is considered "intolerant", to hate Atheism is completely accepted by the mainstream. It will be interesting to watch this change over the next couple years. I suspect as rational thinking, and easy access to information on the internet, eating away at the Religious base that their attacks on "atheism" will only get more venomous in the future.

Ok.....I was kinda joking with that last bit. Are you telling me that in America, people actually believe that the majority of any atheists are satanists and eat babies? I mean, for real? I always thought that was just a joke, exaggerating people's opinions to make a point?

Also, they wouldn't just be wrong about the satanism part, assuming these baby-eater people that get mentioned so much actually even exist in modern western society (I'm going to go out on a limb and declare bullshit) - what does that have to do with their religion?

The part of your post that I bolded is really the main issue I think. I actually find it hard to even imagine living somewhere where that's the case. Do you really think it'll get worse? I'd hope with the spread of rational thinking it would get better, at least from the general public's point of view and then these leaders would just be a fringe group that nobody listens to anyway. Kinda like the BNP in Britain.

Quote:We should remember that this only reflects the opinions of "Evangelical Protestant leaders"... not the general public. If they were taking the opinions of "Muslim Leaders" the results would differ greatly... though I am not sure atheism would fair any better.

I kinda started to cover this a little bit above. As far as I'm aware, there are still a lot, I mean really A LOT of people who follow these leaders. They might not be representative of all their followers but I'm guessing a significant number at least.
01-07-2011, 04:43 PM
(30-06-2011 09:33 AM)myst32 Wrote:  It will be interesting to watch this change over the next couple years. I suspect as rational thinking, and easy access to information on the internet, eating away at the Religious base that their attacks on "atheism" will only get more venomous in the future.

I have been an atheist for at least 30 years now. ( I was long before even I realized it! ) In the last 20 years, I have seen giant steps forward as the "new" generation has grown and spawned. I know atheism will continue to grow, but I thin it will be at least another 20 years before the numbers make huge changes. Another generation, learning more than we ever knew in science, even as early as grade school, will lead their next generation to a far more scientific conclusion.

With the internet, and even movies ( like "PAUL") the message is coming out. Sometimes in direct, in your face facts, other times in comedy. The more atheism is displayed as a common thing, the larger it will get. Small, subliminal messages sent through the media will plant the seed in many minds. Characters cracking jokes about god, or openly admitting atheism to other characters, opens the door for real people to follow suit.

There are a lot more agnostics out there right now who seriously question their faith, but to a lot of them, atheism is still a taboo. They were raised to believe, so it's very hard for them to admit to themselves that they really are questioning their faith. The more open the subject becomes, the more accepted the discussions become, the more open people will be about it, leading many to "See the Dark" as I call it, since church goers "See the Light"

Fanatics will freak when we start getting more publicity, but they do us a great service by looking so ridiculous. A few lost minds may follow them, but far more will laugh at them. And many of them will have kids that look to us realizing that their parents have cracked. When I was growing up, I knew many kids whose parents were religious fanatics. Most of those kids are atheists today.

The more the fanatics freak out, the more the average person will look to us, or at least AT us. Fanaticism always does more to hurt it's cause than help it, (except with muslims) so let's let the fanatics keep piping up. Few believe them, but more will seek options to them.

A 2000 year old comic book is their light, but science and reality, and education is OUR light.

Science IS winning. It's just gonna take more time. Give it another 20 years. There will be big changes by then....

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
[+] 4 users Like blasphemy fan's post
05-07-2011, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2011 12:23 PM by myst32.)
(30-06-2011 01:10 AM)Goddess Aurora Wrote:  Ok.....I was kinda joking with that last bit. Are you telling me that in America, people actually believe that the majority of any atheists are satanists and eat babies? I mean, for real? I always thought that was just a joke, exaggerating people's opinions to make a point?

Also, they wouldn't just be wrong about the satanism part, assuming these baby-eater people that get mentioned so much actually even exist in modern western society (I'm going to go out on a limb and declare bullshit) - what does that have to do with their religion?

heheheehe I can't say what is on the minds of all Americans... Certainly there are some that could think these sorts of things. Or at least "hope" that they are true in order to paint their opponents in as negative a light as possible. If you where to conduct a pole that asked..."Are atheist worshipers of Satan?" I would guess that you would get a lot of "yes" answers. If you asked... "Do they eat babies?" Certainly some would say yes... even if they do not really think so. Because, they are trying to paint a picture... as bad as possible... of something they hate. Ironically.. Another example... When the Christian religion was itself a new "idea" Pagan leaders started all sorts of rumors that the Christians, who called them selves "brother's" and "sister's" and would meet late at night to worship, were committing incest with each other. They worshiped a dead Jew whom they ate the flesh and drank the blood of. They would run around speaking in strange languages to "evil demons" and sacrifice small children. etc etc etc... Pagans did not like the new religion... so they did their best to paint it as "bad" as they could. When the Christians came to power they started doing the same thing... to the pagans.

(30-06-2011 01:10 AM)Goddess Aurora Wrote:  Do you really think it'll get worse? I'd hope with the spread of rational thinking it would get better, at least from the general public's point of view and then these leaders would just be a fringe group that nobody listens to anyway. Kinda like the BNP in Britain.

This is just my opinion.... I look at it like this... right now Atheism is small but growing fast. This research shows they [the religious] already consider it a major threat. What do you do when you consider something a major threat? Most people attack it with all their might. As science and reason start to become more and more popular they become more and more a threat... thus the attacks, in my opinion, will become more venomous. You can start to see some of this happening now... When Pope Benedict visited your country and addressed the Queen equating the godless to potential "Nazis". In the USA we have and idiot named Pat Robertson who blames every bad thing that happens on Atheism. There is a major attempt, in my opinion, to get atheism in the news and paint it bad as possible. Sure these people look like morons to you and me but Pat Robertson and the Pope have huge followings. When they speak millions lesson. As our numbers grow, we become a larger target.

(01-07-2011 04:43 PM)blasphemy fan Wrote:  Fanatics will freak when we start getting more publicity, but they do us a great service by looking so ridiculous. A few lost minds may follow them, but far more will laugh at them. And many of them will have kids that look to us realizing that their parents have cracked. When I was growing up, I knew many kids whose parents were religious fanatics. Most of those kids are atheists today.

The more the fanatics freak out, the more the average person will look to us, or at least AT us. Fanaticism always does more to hurt it's cause than help it, (except with muslims) so let's let the fanatics keep piping up. Few believe them, but more will seek options to them.

A 2000 year old comic book is their light, but science and reality, and education is OUR light.

Science IS winning. It's just gonna take more time. Give it another 20 years. There will be big changes by then....

i agree

The fanatics of 9/11 probably did more for our cause than they could ever do for their own. American's could see first hand what strong religious convictions can get you. (Even if in reality it may have had nothing to do with religion in particular)

I think you also hit a very good point... It will be Science and reason that wins.. not atheism.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles