Evangelical Landlord

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2016, 07:47 AM
Question Evangelical Landlord
I live in an apartment that I absolutely love: a restored, 1890s Victorian-style row house. Hardwood floors, steam heat, clawfoot tub. The landlord lets our dog live with us. Great, right?

Well, I'm scared to come out as an atheist. He is at the top of my list of people I'm afraid to come out to. On the north side of the building, in great big brass/metal of some sort lettering, it reads, "Jesus Is Lord."

When we moved into this building, I was still a theist. That was part of the reasoning for moving into the apartment. He only leases apartments month-to-month, so we have no long-term lease. I love the apartment a lot, it has a great location, and we can have our dog here.

Do I set aside emergency rent/deposit money, and live openly? Do I keep it quiet for a while longer, until we can afford to buy a house (1-3 years down the road)? What would you do in this situation? A know some will say that he cannot legally discriminate on that basis. But I honestly do not want to go through the process of attempting to prove that the reason he did not renew our monthly lease is because of my faith (or lack thereof). Can it be done? Yes. But around here, my name would get dragged through the mud by these "loving" Christian types and charges of persecution would be called--meaning that I was persecuting my landlord by living in his building with my atheism (the horror!). That is how people would see it.

I would like to live an open life. He is okay with me being gay, and rents to other gay couples. But I'm almost positive he would not take well to me being atheist, and if he did, it would be every person on the block and their dogs trying to re-convert me. 'Cause y'know, I just need Je-sus.

I'm ranting. I probably already know the answer to my own question, but I'm curious how others would deal with a similar situation. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2016, 08:03 AM
RE: Evangelical Landlord
First, not his business what your religious views are so don't discuss it with him. Secondly, it's illegal to discriminate based on religion so if he does find out and gives you grief take notes or record him and remind him of the law and how much a lawsuit would cost him. The ACLU loves this kind of stuff.

Housing discrimination is a big no-no. But in the end it's still not his business.

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
[+] 3 users Like Heatheness's post
13-04-2016, 08:20 AM
When you added "every person on the block" it became clear that you need to either:
1) forget about putting FSM stickers on your car and just don't talk about it ( while you are at it, don't talk about politics either Smile )
2) move out of the neighborhood you think you love so much.

Seriously, it is nobody's business.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
13-04-2016, 08:25 AM
I have never gotten into a religious discussion with a landlord. I don't see a reason why you should have to either. You may be worrying about something that is simply a non-issue.

Oh, and welcome.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 5 users Like Anjele's post
13-04-2016, 08:30 AM
(13-04-2016 08:20 AM)skyking Wrote:  When you added "every person on the block" it became clear that you need to either:
1) forget about putting FSM stickers on your car and just don't talk about it ( while you are at it, don't talk about politics either Smile )
2) move out of the neighborhood you think you love so much.

Seriously, it is nobody's business.

I don't like bumper stickers.

This neighborhood means a lot to me. Why should I have to move?

Reasons I truly love the neighborhood: I rehabbed four Victorian-style homes that were once drug houses. I participate in a lot of outreach programs. An abandoned house is on a waiting list for my husband and I to purchase and rehab in 18-36 months. The location is convenient to my work (I don't drive).

The reason I asked on this forum was for the un-obvious answers--tips from people who have been atheist for a while. This is month 1 for me.

"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really, you're asleep in life's waiting room." -Waking Life
13-04-2016, 08:31 AM
(13-04-2016 08:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have never gotten into a religious discussion with a landlord. I don't see a reason why you should have to either. You may be worrying about something that is simply a non-issue.

Oh, and welcome.

The landlord and I work together on a neighborhood improvement association, so conversation comes into play at least four times each week. He pokes religion in a lot. What should I do? Play along or potentially piss him off by asking him to stop?

"The worst mistake that you can make is to think you're alive when really, you're asleep in life's waiting room." -Waking Life
13-04-2016, 08:33 AM
I guess no one here has a social media network in which word travels quickly. I'm an elected official in the neighborhood improvement association. It's something I love to do. I was mostly asking because I'm new to this. But thanks for the stupid-fucking-ass obvious answers. I'm done with this dry-ass forum.

13-04-2016, 08:33 AM
(13-04-2016 08:31 AM)blackcat06 Wrote:  
(13-04-2016 08:25 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I have never gotten into a religious discussion with a landlord. I don't see a reason why you should have to either. You may be worrying about something that is simply a non-issue.

Oh, and welcome.

The landlord and I work together on a neighborhood improvement association, so conversation comes into play at least four times each week. He pokes religion in a lot. What should I do? Play along or potentially piss him off by asking him to stop?

It depends on how deep the discussions are. Can you guide them off in other directions? Or is he asking outright what your beliefs are?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
13-04-2016, 08:39 AM
Why dose he have to know?

I have family friends that don't know I an Atheist. Many of which are "crazy" religious. My position isn't theirs and unless their shoveling their views down my thought I care very little for what they think. We have two friends that can't finish a sentence without saying blessed. "What a blessed day." "Found a coin on the ground, i'm so blessed.". I just node and smile.

Unless this relationship is more then tennint / landlord. It's none of his business.

What types of things where you plan on doing to your place that would be offensive to him? Do you have Atheist flags, or party's?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
13-04-2016, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2016 08:57 AM by Commonsensei.)
(13-04-2016 08:33 AM)blackcat06 Wrote:  I guess no one here has a social media network in which word travels quickly. I'm an elected official in the neighborhood improvement association. It's something I love to do. I was mostly asking because I'm new to this. But thanks for the stupid-fucking-ass obvious answers. I'm done with this dry-ass forum.

Roar, kittys got claws.

It's not our fault it's an obvious answer.

What where you expecting?

Kick down his fucking door! Point your finger in his face and say. "HEY ASSHOLE! You're god is a bunch of horse shit. And to prove it i'm going to shit and piss on everything you hold dear." Then whip your dick out and do just that. Once the well runs dry, and while the excrement it still wet. See if he has a son and make out hardcore with him. When done stomp out of the room and make sure you shout something bad ass like AMERICA RULES! Or FSM for LIFE!

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 5 users Like Commonsensei's post