Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2017, 08:56 AM
Evangelical child abuse
https://newrepublic.com/article/142999/s...se-scandal

Anyone else seen this? Holy Shit!

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-06-2017, 09:00 AM
RE: Evangelical child abuse
I haven't seen this yet but nothing that comes out of religion surprises me anymore. Nothing.
[+] 2 users Like Heath_Tierney's post
21-06-2017, 09:32 AM
It's the focus...it's all on the Catholic Church.

People need to realize that sexual predators will use authority and religion to get what they want -- their denomination is meaningless.

The cloak of silence must be broken.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-06-2017, 09:41 AM
(21-06-2017 09:32 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  People need to realize that sexual predators will use authority and religion to get what they want -- their denomination is meaningless.

It's not even religion. It's that predators tend to look for jobs that bring them in close contact with children. That can be a coach, a teacher, a boyscout leader, a priest or a pastor and many other kinds of occupations.

The problem with religious predators is the reflex to brush the abuse under the rug. Not that it would happen anymre frequently than in other fields of occupation.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like abaris's post
21-06-2017, 10:04 AM
(21-06-2017 09:41 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(21-06-2017 09:32 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  People need to realize that sexual predators will use authority and religion to get what they want -- their denomination is meaningless.

It's not even religion. It's that predators tend to look for jobs that bring them in close contact with children. That can be a coach, a teacher, a boyscout leader, a priest or a pastor and many other kinds of occupations.

The problem with religious predators is the reflex to brush the abuse under the rug. Not that it would happen anymre frequently than in other fields of occupation.

You're right and I was unclear..

But many people do use the cloak of religious belief to groom children.

They don't have be involved with a specific church or associated with a religion -- to use religious belief in an nefarious way.

That was more my point.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

21-06-2017, 11:34 AM
I think religion is a particularly *good* hunting ground for sex predators, because of all the authoritarian brainwashing that goes on. It's unlike other occupations in that respect. No other sphere of life would victims' families actively collude to silence the victims.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
21-06-2017, 12:04 PM
(21-06-2017 10:04 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  They don't have be involved with a specific church or associated with a religion -- to use religious belief in an nefarious way.

I looked up the actual numbers when the big scandal broke some years ago. Priest abuse isn't any more frequent than in other fields. What's making it worse is the simple fact that the church tried to brush it under the rug instead of alerting the authorities. That way offender got shipped around to reoffend instead of bringing them to jusitce.

Some schools, universities and sports teams do the same. But, due to their smaller nature, on a smaller scale.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
21-06-2017, 12:43 PM
It has been known for some time that molestation by clergymen of various sorts was not just limited to Catholic priests... and that the numbers might be similar. It's simply that the Holy See is a monolithic structure, and so it's an easier target-- and it's easier to point out the structural failures and cover-ups, when such events are reported.

Protestant churches, by comparison, tend to be much more loosely associated, so there's not really a way to say the cover-ups "go all the way to the top", as you can say with the Catholic Church. That makes it less interesting of a story, and why you rarely hear about it. It's local news, rather than global, so to speak.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 4 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
21-06-2017, 01:42 PM
(21-06-2017 12:04 PM)abaris Wrote:  Some schools, universities and sports teams do the same. But, due to their smaller nature, on a smaller scale.

This reminds me of my first temp job as faculty, and we had our Title IX training. They just started reading us a list of all these prestigious universities and then said, "Each of them is under investigation for covering up sexual assaults. If you know something, you will tell us and calls the cops. If we find out you didn't, you will be fired."

(21-06-2017 12:43 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Protestant churches, by comparison, tend to be much more loosely associated, so there's not really a way to say the cover-ups "go all the way to the top", as you can say with the Catholic Church. That makes it less interesting of a story, and why you rarely hear about it. It's local news, rather than global, so to speak.

Agreed. When I interned in Probation, one of our 'clients' with a previous sexual offense before the crime that got him on probation, ran his own non-denominational church. It still frightens me, a decade later, that he has power to coerce future victims.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Shai Hulud's post
21-06-2017, 04:22 PM
I think a big part of the problem is that many people just don't want to believe that a 'man of god' would do such things. Instead of believing the children they instead lend their loyalty to the clergy...regardless of the flavor of faith.

Growing up Catholic it was widely known that you didn't question a member of the clergy. I have no doubt that believers in other denominations teach the same thing...after all, the clergy is seen as the voice of god and therefore put on a pedestal whether deserved or not.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat