Evangelicals and climate change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Evangelicals and climate change
Hi,

“The love of the ancients for the cosmos was completely unknown to the first Christians who, moreover, awaited with impatience an imminent end of the world.” (1)

Let us make no mistake; evangelicals, keenly adopting the ethos of first Christians, have no love for this world. It is merely a transitory place, corrupted and naturally evil, from which they will be saved on the day of salvation and destruction. This world is, for them, entirely dispensable and the sooner the better.

If we do not understand this, we fail to understand the root and core of Christianity.

For others, particularly atheists, this world is all we have, and precious it is for that. What a fundamental difference in values! I think this understanding underlines the contempt evangelicals hold for science and the misunderstanding that atheists apply in their attempts to present reasoned arguments about our relationship with the world we live in.

Could there ever be an understanding between these opposing views?

(1) Albert Camus, The Rebel, Penguin 1971 pp 160.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
22-08-2016, 03:42 PM
RE: Evangelicals and climate change
Is there a tie here to the "end timers", the Apocalypse encouragers?

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
22-08-2016, 03:55 PM
While there's a very strong trend in evangelical Christianity to ignore the world, discount it, view it as something belonging to humanity by God's decree (we've been given "lordship" over it), and generally disbelieve that anything we do can cause any damage or that we should be worried about that damage.... it's not universal. There are some Christians, including Evangelicals, who view the relationship established by God between humans and Creation as being more that of custodians or caretakers, with lordship being seen as more in the way of guardianship or defense than as ownership. This view has ebbed and flowed over the past decade or so. It's definitely in the minority, but it's still not accurate to paint all Christians, or even all Evangelicals, with the same brush.

.... though it is yet another example of how a thousand different people can read the same book a thousand different ways and yet believe that they have interpreted it in the uniquely correct manner and that anyone who reads it with an open heart would do the same.
[+] 2 users Like Reltzik's post
22-08-2016, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2016 04:25 PM by Dworkin.)
(22-08-2016 03:55 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  .... it's still not accurate to paint all Christians, or even all Evangelicals, with the same brush.

Reltzik,

You make a fair point.

The evangelicals that I have met were all strong on belief in sin, the fall and the coming. Having said that, I have not met every evangelical and there may be some wiggle room in the small print.

http://www.bible.ca/d-judgement-day.htm

D.
22-08-2016, 04:27 PM
(22-08-2016 03:42 PM)Gloucester Wrote:  Is there a tie here to the "end timers", the Apocalypse encouragers?

Praise the Lord! Bowing

D.
22-08-2016, 04:31 PM
Wouldn't climate change be seen as part of gawd's plan? His will, mysterious ways, all that jazz?

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
22-08-2016, 04:44 PM
(22-08-2016 04:31 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Wouldn't climate change be seen as part of gawd's plan? His will, mysterious ways, all that jazz?

hi Anjele,

Wow, that kicks us straight into the weeds of the philosophy section: freewill, determinism, Final Destination 3 etc.

I have spoken to a theist recently who talked about climate change as 'God's thermostat'. Maybe if he had some evidence?

D.

PS - I'm listening so some good jazz right now. Cool
[+] 1 user Likes Dworkin's post
22-08-2016, 09:13 PM
That has been the traditional view of evangelical thinking, and many of them do still look at the world that way.

On the other hand, there has been something of an awakening among them in the past decade, as some of the brighter pastors have come to realize that they'd better hedge their bets in case Jesus doesn't come back before we hand a nightmare to our grandkids... and possibly to ourselves. They have begun to focus on the "stewards of the earth" verses, and to push a message that borders on environmentally responsible, despite its odd theological roots.

Sadly, so many of them have been so ideologically linked to ultra-conservative economic policies for so long, they have difficulty reconciling the two concepts:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/...-and-minds

ETA: Personally, I tend to look at it like this...

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
22-08-2016, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 22-08-2016 09:44 PM by RocketSurgeon76.)
An interactive graph to show how this will impact people. Enter your birth year and keep clicking the --> button to see the range (high/low) of predicted future temperatures during your lifetime, and finally for a person (like my son) born this year.

ETA: Oops! I forgot to add the linky http://www.theguardian.com/environment/i...nteractive

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
23-08-2016, 11:22 AM
[Image: warminggraphic2.jpg?w=620&q=55&a...22de28b69a]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
[+] 1 user Likes Silly Deity's post