Evangelicals and climate change

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-08-2016, 12:33 AM
RE: Evangelicals and climate change
I think part of the problem is tribalism. Anti climate change has become a right wing idea and most evangelicals are part of the right. I think the process would be something along the lines of "I'm a Christian, so I'm a republican, or conservative or local equivalent, and republicans are anti climate change, therefore I'm anti climate change". I think this is true for a lot of positions such as capitalism, death penalty and healthcare. Many countries are split between a right and a left and so we tend to hold the beliefs of our fellow wingers.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TarzanSmith's post
25-08-2016, 06:02 PM
To be honest, I haven't kept up much with the climate change research that's out there.
However, I recently saw an article with this video attached that was pretty interesting. Anyone know if this is something actually unprecedented, or if this should cause no alarm?

“What you believe to be true will control you, whether it’s true or not.”

—Jeremy LaBorde
25-08-2016, 08:55 PM
(24-08-2016 12:33 AM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I think part of the problem is tribalism. Anti climate change has become a right wing idea and most evangelicals are part of the right. I think the process would be something along the lines of "I'm a Christian, so I'm a republican, or conservative or local equivalent, and republicans are anti climate change, therefore I'm anti climate change". I think this is true for a lot of positions such as capitalism, death penalty and healthcare. Many countries are split between a right and a left and so we tend to hold the beliefs of our fellow wingers.

Then again, some of us actually think for ourselves. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2016, 05:51 AM
Ever notice ---

It doesn't matter if it's "global warming"

or "global cooling"

or "global climate change"........

No matter what it is -- it's going to cost you.....

Funny how that works...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
26-08-2016, 05:59 AM
(22-08-2016 03:55 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  While there's a very strong trend in evangelical Christianity to ignore the world, discount it, view it as something belonging to humanity by God's decree (we've been given "lordship" over it), and generally disbelieve that anything we do can cause any damage or that we should be worried about that damage.... it's not universal. There are some Christians, including Evangelicals, who view the relationship established by God between humans and Creation as being more that of custodians or caretakers, with lordship being seen as more in the way of guardianship or defense than as ownership. This view has ebbed and flowed over the past decade or so. It's definitely in the minority, but it's still not accurate to paint all Christians, or even all Evangelicals, with the same brush.

.... though it is yet another example of how a thousand different people can read the same book a thousand different ways and yet believe that they have interpreted it in the uniquely correct manner and that anyone who reads it with an open heart would do the same.

No one religion has a patent on false perceptions. If you think there is something after this, and many Buddhists and Hindus have their own superstition of reincarnation, that too can be a way of ignoring our real finite reality. But the doomsday god of Abraham between the big three certainly represents the biggest threat currently to global stability which diverts resources away from addressing the need to get off fossil fuels. If you think there is some cosmic after party, it can cause far to many to ignore the finite time we have now.

Sagan's Pale Blue Dot Speech is what more humans worldwide need to understand and accept if we wish to extend or species ride.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post