Evangelicals being evil to their "own"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2011, 12:10 PM
RE: Evangelicals being evil to their "own"
That's disgusting, I wanted to vomit while reading that.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-01-2011, 06:41 PM
(23-01-2011 12:10 PM)TheKetola Wrote:  That's disgusting, I wanted to vomit while reading that.

Agreed. It never ceases to amaze me how hateful they are.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
26-01-2011, 11:47 AM
All of you seem to thing that the church's response was wrong. How do you think it should have responded when one of its members sinned?

Allowing someone to remain a member of a church while he was continuing in sin would be harmful both to him and the church. One purpose of disciplining him is to provide an incentive for him to repent of his sins in this life rather than waiting to face God's judgment after he dies. And his continuing in the church would make it seem that the church condoned what he was doing.

It seems to me that the church is doing what the Bible says should be done in a situation like this.

Quote:For though absent in body, I am present in spirit; and as if present, I have already pronounced judgment on the one who did such a thing. When you are assembled in the name of the Lord Jesus and my spirit is present, with the power of our Lord Jesus, you are to deliver this man to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord.
1 Corinthians 5:3-5

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-01-2011, 12:37 PM
(26-01-2011 11:47 AM)theophilus Wrote:  All of you seem to thing that the church's response was wrong. How do you think it should have responded when one of its members sinned?
It's up to God to judge. Not men.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
26-01-2011, 01:49 PM
Quote:All of you seem to thing that the church's response was wrong. How do you think it should have responded when one of its members sinned?
Hate the sin, not the sinner? Forgive it?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
26-01-2011, 07:05 PM
Actually, I sort of agree with theophilus on this. It's the issue of "house rules". This is their house, and these are their rules. If you break their rules, you get kicked out, same as with any other club.

Catholics believe that divorce is a mortal sin and you marry for life no matter what happens in your marriage. If you're catholic and in a really bad marriage, your choices are:
1. suck it up
2. get divorced and not be Catholic.

The rules of religion are generally not set up to benefit the faithful, but to keep them in line. This is just another fine example.

So, yes, I agree with Theo, what did you expect them to do?

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
26-01-2011, 11:25 PM
(26-01-2011 07:05 PM)BnW Wrote:  Actually, I sort of agree with theophilus on this. It's the issue of "house rules". This is their house, and these are their rules. If you break their rules, you get kicked out, same as with any other club.

Catholics believe that divorce is a mortal sin and you marry for life no matter what happens in your marriage. If you're catholic and in a really bad marriage, your choices are:
1. suck it up
2. get divorced and not be Catholic.

The rules of religion are generally not set up to benefit the faithful, but to keep them in line. This is just another fine example.

So, yes, I agree with Theo, what did you expect them to do?
Agreed.

A plus side in having a state church is that when the people change, the church changes too.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
27-01-2011, 02:18 AM
(26-01-2011 11:47 AM)theophilus Wrote:  One purpose of disciplining him is to provide an incentive for him to repent of his sins in this life rather than waiting to face God's judgment after he dies.

Let's see. God refuses to show people any evidence of his existence to them. He leaves that job to men. Many of the men who preach god's word have been proven to be liars. If we do not believe these men, god, in all his wisdom and fairness, will send us to hell for eternity. Sounds like a pile of crap to me.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
27-01-2011, 11:24 AM
(26-01-2011 01:49 PM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:All of you seem to thing that the church's response was wrong. How do you think it should have responded when one of its members sinned?
Hate the sin, not the sinner? Forgive it?
This is exactly right. They are to hate the sin and not the sinner, and that is exactly what this church is doing. Instead of simply condemning the person who sinned they are trying to get him to repent so that God will forgive him. When he does so they should also forgive him and restore him to fellowship with the church. In my earlier post I quoted the instructions Paul gave to the Corinthians about how they wer to deal with a member who had sinned. In his next letter to them he told them how to treat this man after he had repented.
Quote:Now if anyone has caused pain, he has caused it not to me, but in some measure—not to put it too severely—to all of you. For such a one, this punishment by the majority is enough, so you should rather turn to forgive and comfort him, or he may be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow. So I beg you to reaffirm your love for him.
(2 Corinthians 2:5-8 ESV)

(26-01-2011 12:37 PM)The_observer Wrote:  It's up to God to judge. Not men.
Sometimes God uses people to carry out his judgment. Christians are commanded to judge members of the church who sin.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-01-2011, 02:41 PM
(27-01-2011 11:24 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(26-01-2011 12:37 PM)The_observer Wrote:  It's up to God to judge. Not men.
Sometimes God uses people to carry out his judgment. Christians are commanded to judge members of the church who sin.
So if i understand it correctly, the omnipotent king of good morals (you know, the one that states "may he who is without sin cast the first stone") let his subjects do the dirty work, am i right?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.