Evangelicals give up more of their credibility

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2017, 03:07 PM
RE: Evangelicals give up more of their credibility
(12-07-2017 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  Seems like this boyo found God just in the nick of time Consider
To what boyo are you referring? Or are you being facetious about Trump?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2017, 03:10 PM
(12-07-2017 03:07 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 03:00 PM)morondog Wrote:  Seems like this boyo found God just in the nick of time Consider
To what boyo are you referring? Or are you being facetious about Trump?

... I'm confused as to what other boyo is under discussion? ETA: I was referring to Trump. The man who just happened to become religious at a time when he needed Christian votes.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Is furrowing your brow so that you look super constipated a requirement for talking to republican jesus?

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
12-07-2017, 05:04 PM
(12-07-2017 03:10 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 03:07 PM)mordant Wrote:  To what boyo are you referring? Or are you being facetious about Trump?

... I'm confused as to what other boyo is under discussion? ETA: I was referring to Trump. The man who just happened to become religious at a time when he needed Christian votes.
Okay.

I don't think he "became Christian", he just made noises that Christians are willing to accept as friendly. I get a lot of guffaws out of when he tries to impress his new friends ... mispronouncing books of the Bible, not being able to provide a favorite verse, obviously winging it in a dozen other ways, clearly having no personal practice or piety whatsoever. Even the fundies have been unwilling to consider him more than a "baby Christian". It's their version of "when he's President he'll pivot to being presidential": "when he matures a little the rough edges will come off".

Neither are ever going to happen.
[+] 3 users Like mordant's post
12-07-2017, 07:29 PM
(12-07-2017 03:05 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(12-07-2017 12:15 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  .....

.... wait.

.... waitwaitwaitwaitwait.

.... I wasn't aware that Evangelicals even HAD any credibility left to give up!
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I was INSIDE the movement 40 years ago and it was ... notably less bad. I know that's not saying much.

It's a little like how politics has evolved. Republicans of yesteryear were libtards by modern GOP standards. Prescott Bush, Bush Sr's father, for instance, was the first president of the now-hated Planned Parenthood back in the WW2 era. Conservatism in the 1960's and 70's was still about cautious change, with regard for unintended consequences ... not about no change at all, ever, and indeed, about regression.

Similarly, evangelicals used to have actual standards and corrupt televangelists for example were a subject of dire concern, rather than of indifference. Politics was beneath them. In fact it was regarded by many as another manifestation of the dreaded "social gospel". It wasn't until the 80's that they started getting involved in politics and began to lust for power and fantasize about a quasi-theocracy in America and became serious about using secular power to control people's personal lives. Indeed ... few now realize that anti-abortion zealots didn't exist before the 80s or so.

Now it has come fully to roost and you can't even superficially tell them apart based on their ethics or integrity, etc.

I submit that 85% or so of the foolishness we talk about here on a daily basis didn't exist before the 1980s. I think Pat Robertson's presidential bid may have been one of the turning points.

Yeah, that timeline squares with my external understanding. Though I'd argue (or not, if you weren't trying to say otherwise) that Robertson's bid was less of a contributing factor, and more warning bell of underlying change.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
12-07-2017, 07:38 PM
(12-07-2017 09:47 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
Quote:"We similarly prayed for President Obama but it's different with President Trump," Moore said. "When we are praying for President Trump, we are praying within the context of a real relationship, of true friendship."

In other words, their prayers for Obama were not sincere and they are more comfortable with somebody who is unable to distinguish truth from lies. They deserve each other.

Well, not so much. It's more the, umm, ... well, .... you know, .... the *grabber* feels a kindred spirit with the hands-on folks. Angel

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Dodgy http://www.antievolution.org/features/wedge.html

And I hope these mofos fail HARD, though they do seem to be weaseling shit in through the cracks. Angry
13-07-2017, 12:31 PM
Oh you know exactly how this will turn out....

When Trump crashes and burns, most will act like they never supported him, never "really" liked him, and only voted him to keep anti-christ #455 Hilary from being President. This is how the right/Republicans act. They support the shit out of someone when they are running or are in power but the minute something goes bad they act like they never supported them.

It happened with W; they were all about him, he was a "good Christian boy", and supported all his War on Terror bullshit; then the minute Obama gets in office suddenly these same morons are asking why we're still in the Middle East wars, start bitching about how Obama isn't doing anything to get us out and act like they never liked W's war on terror. They were all up McCain's ass, and the minute he lost he's why the RNC lost because's "he's a RINO". They were all up Romney's ass and when he lost, same thing. Limbaugh, Hannity, O'Reily, all of them were all for those guys until they weren't, rinse and repeat.

It's the same bullshit over and over.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
13-07-2017, 11:08 PM
One reason you should keep religion out of politics is pretty simple... it won't always be your religion that's in the majority. So it's to protect you and yours, as well as everyone else, not to try to "keep God out of X" (as if we could keep any actual God out of anything).

Why can't they get this?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-07-2017, 11:19 PM
(13-07-2017 11:08 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  One reason you should keep religion out of politics is pretty simple... it won't always be your religion that's in the majority. So it's to protect you and yours, as well as everyone else, not to try to "keep God out of X" (as if we could keep any actual God out of anything).

Why can't they get this?

Because God told them a better way.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.