Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-07-2017, 11:49 AM
RE: Evangelicals give up more of their credibility
Jesus Thinks You're a jerk
Frank Zappa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-79uI_u9Src

Dated but still funny. Frank's take on the Bakkers and Pat Robertson

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
17-07-2017, 11:39 AM
(12-07-2017 09:28 AM)mordant Wrote:  Monday, Christians lay hands on TRump.
Here's one minister at least who's castigating these idiots. Unfortunately he's a bit of a voice crying in the wilderness.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post
17-07-2017, 12:49 PM
(17-07-2017 11:39 AM)mordant Wrote:  
Here's one minister at least who's castigating these idiots. Unfortunately he's a bit of a voice crying in the wilderness.

Heartening to see the comments section too. First genuinely nice comments section I think I've ever seen. Maybe because everyone there agrees with me Dodgy

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-07-2017, 02:35 PM
This thread kinda has that Atheism+ feel to it. Politically, I'm a libertarian so I can buy some of the progressive agenda when it comes to civil liberties. On the economic side of the fence, the progressives are FOS. All of this is nothing but political theater for those of us on the outside. If you want to get real about politics, the GOP and the Democrats are MUCH more alike than different. I see them both as maintaining a duopoly that is squeezing us from all sides. A guy like Bernie Sanders is every bit as big of a snake as the rest of the connected politicians. All he is doing is ticking the ears of young people - people who are desperate because they bought the snake oil to attend college "no matter what", because getting a bachelor's degree in anything improves your earning power. When you get a degree in something worthless ("___________ Studies, for example), your prospects will be worthless when the economy tightens.
17-07-2017, 03:14 PM
(17-07-2017 02:35 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  This thread kinda has that Atheism+ feel to it. Politically, I'm a libertarian so I can buy some of the progressive agenda when it comes to civil liberties. On the economic side of the fence, the progressives are FOS. All of this is nothing but political theater for those of us on the outside. If you want to get real about politics, the GOP and the Democrats are MUCH more alike than different. I see them both as maintaining a duopoly that is squeezing us from all sides. A guy like Bernie Sanders is every bit as big of a snake as the rest of the connected politicians. All he is doing is ticking the ears of young people - people who are desperate because they bought the snake oil to attend college "no matter what", because getting a bachelor's degree in anything improves your earning power. When you get a degree in something worthless ("___________ Studies, for example), your prospects will be worthless when the economy tightens.
I don't want to debate politics outside the politics forum. I would be happy to do it if you want to start a thread there, though.
17-07-2017, 03:45 PM
(17-07-2017 02:35 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  This thread kinda has that Atheism+ feel to it.

Wuh?

17-07-2017, 03:57 PM
(17-07-2017 03:45 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 02:35 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  This thread kinda has that Atheism+ feel to it.

Wuh?

We're not a bunch of conservatives screaming for lower taxes, ergo we must be extremist internet activists who wear rainbow flags and talk about the patriarchy and tell people to check their privilege all the time.

Ohmy I forgot to check my privilege. BRB.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
17-07-2017, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 17-07-2017 04:17 PM by Thoreauvian.)

Tuesday, what may well turn out to be TRum's "Watergate moment" happens.

God's Mysterious Ways.

Perhaps they were praying for Trump to implode and be removed from office so they can get President Pence in the back door.

Evil_monster
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
17-07-2017, 08:24 PM
(17-07-2017 02:35 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  This thread kinda has that Atheism+ feel to it. .

And that is good. The idea that one can state God does not exist and then stop there, twiddling one's thumbs doesn't seem to be a good idea. It means that if one cannot accept the claim God is somehow a source of morals, one does not have a duty to think about the concept of morals and ethics and where that is undermined by bad politics, cultures, ideologies and theologies. The old fashioned laissez faire economics did not work so we moved on from that to progressivism. That is called, learning from past mistakes.

Yog Sothoth! Yog Sothoth! Come back old ones! Yog Sothoth!

Cheerful Charlie
18-07-2017, 01:13 AM
(17-07-2017 08:24 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  
(17-07-2017 02:35 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  This thread kinda has that Atheism+ feel to it. .

And that is good. The idea that one can state God does not exist and then stop there, twiddling one's thumbs doesn't seem to be a good idea. It means that if one cannot accept the claim God is somehow a source of morals, one does not have a duty to think about the concept of morals and ethics and where that is undermined by bad politics, cultures, ideologies and theologies. The old fashioned laissez faire economics did not work so we moved on from that to progressivism. That is called, learning from past mistakes.

Atheism doesn't imply duty of which you speak, it's just absence of belief in god.

Also the idea that one can state God does not exist and then stop there is what atheism is about. Being atheists does not oblige me to to support so called "progressive" policy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.