Evangelicals give up more of their credibility

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2017, 10:52 AM
RE: Evangelicals give up more of their credibility
(18-07-2017 10:42 AM)SYZ Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 10:23 AM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  My brother is a Christian and he voted for Trump simply because Trump was the more "Christ-friendly" candidate and had a higher chance of implementing religion-based policies. Blink

On a couple of separate occasions, Trump said—on discussing women—that it's okay "to grab 'em by the pussy" and that if his daughter was other than that, then he'd like to fuck her (or words to that effect).

Does your Christian brother regard that as "Christ-friendly"? I don't recall Hillary saying anything even vaguely similar. Huh

Trump "asked for forgiveness" so that means they had to forgive him. Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
18-07-2017, 01:29 PM
Many Christians do not care if he is a horrible person personally. Only that he is more likely ro support pro-Christian policies they like. many Christians know the score. The Democratic party leans secular, the GOP leans Christian. It is that simple. You vote for whoever will give you the best deal.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
18-07-2017, 07:05 PM
(18-07-2017 08:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 07:53 AM)mordant Wrote:  Atheism is indeed nothing more than absence of belief in any deities, and nothing in atheism inherently demands that one think deeply about existential matters like morality. Happily, though, it does FREE one to think deeply and freely about such things.

While society provides morality, it does so by (imperfectly) aggregating the input of all society's members and their shared experience. So I do have some interest in providing my input to that process, in hopes of influencing societal morality / ethics / priorities in what I, and hopefully enough others, regard as a better direction.

That is something other than atheism, it is simply civic interest and participation, or perhaps humanism, but, in the case of an atheist, this participation in society has far more potential to be un-barnacled with silly ideological shibboleths and other stupid limitations, and to have some basis in actual reality. That's what "freethinking" is all about, after all.

Atheist can be burdened with ideological shibboleths just as easily as theist - one have god and other could have Marxist utopia as poison of choice. Atheist could try to build on Nietzsche or de Gobineau as lack of belief in one fairy tale isn't guarantee of being immune to others, nor atheism mean that one is good person.

For sure. I'd say that atheists have one less way of screwing things up. Usually, anyway. You can still have religious atheists.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-07-2017, 08:14 PM
(18-07-2017 07:05 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  
(18-07-2017 08:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Atheist can be burdened with ideological shibboleths just as easily as theist - one have god and other could have Marxist utopia as poison of choice. Atheist could try to build on Nietzsche or de Gobineau as lack of belief in one fairy tale isn't guarantee of being immune to others, nor atheism mean that one is good person.

For sure. I'd say that atheists have one less way of screwing things up. Usually, anyway. You can still have religious atheists.

Yes, we worship Athe
19-07-2017, 02:52 PM
(12-07-2017 09:28 AM)mordant Wrote:  I'm not suggesting that evangelicals were ever pure as the driven snow, or for that matter, purer than anyone else (other than in between their ears). But like preachers and politicians everywhere, they have come to the place where they no longer feel the need to even appear moral and upright in public, or to have any meaningful standards. To STAND FOR something.
Another nail in the coffin: I may be right that Trump personally is not converting to Christianity in any genuine way but he is letting this idiot give Bible Studies in his Cabinet.

This guy is quite influential:
Quote:In a January radio interview, Drollinger praised then-senator Jeff Sessions, who “hungers and thirsts for the Scripture,” for his performance during his confirmation hearing, when he provided a Biblical justification for his draconian views on immigration. “I’ve had the distinct honor of teaching him on this subject, and many others,” Drollinger said. “There’s nothing more exciting, when you’re a Bible teacher, to see one of the guys you’re working with—to see him or her articulate something you’ve taught them when they’re under the gun.” …

He's also quite daft:
Quote:Drollinger also argues that climate change is impossible because God promised after The Flood never to do anything like that again. Drollinger preaches against “radical environmentalism” and that to believe that human activity could have devastating impact on the environment is not just mistaken, but the result of godless pride: “To think that man can alter the earth’s ecosystem—when God remains omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent in the current affairs of mankind—is to more than subtly espouse an ultra-hubristic, secular worldview relative to the supremacy and importance of man,” Drollinger wrote recently. “It follows that we can all rest assured and wholly rely on God’s aforementioned promises pertaining to His ability and willingness to sustain our world’s ecosystem.”

And this is the guy whispering in the ear of Trump's cabinet.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post