Evangelicals: "we're losin' 'Murica"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-06-2016, 11:13 AM
RE: Evangelicals: "we're losin' 'Murica"
(27-06-2016 07:56 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 08:59 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  According to this article in The Christian Science Monitor, evangelicals are sad that Murica has lost its identity.

"Identity?" I wonder if these clowns realize that Christian fundamentalism came about the century after the US was founded. Of course, Christian fundamentalism and historical revisionism go hand in hand, pretty much by necessity.

Oh there you go with your stupid facts again Robby. Like the facts matter, it is all about context.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
27-06-2016, 02:27 PM
(27-06-2016 07:56 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(25-06-2016 08:59 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  According to this article in The Christian Science Monitor, evangelicals are sad that Murica has lost its identity.

"Identity?" I wonder if these clowns realize that Christian fundamentalism came about the century after the US was founded. Of course, Christian fundamentalism and historical revisionism go hand in hand, pretty much by necessity.

I have a cousin whose husband went to a Baptist seminary and can't discuss Christianity before 1800s America and the "Great Awakening", just to add a bit of anecdote to your Wikipedia article and its actual citations.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-06-2016, 07:09 PM
(27-06-2016 02:27 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 07:56 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  "Identity?" I wonder if these clowns realize that Christian fundamentalism came about the century after the US was founded. Of course, Christian fundamentalism and historical revisionism go hand in hand, pretty much by necessity.

I have a cousin whose husband went to a Baptist seminary and can't discuss Christianity before 1800s America and the "Great Awakening", just to add a bit of anecdote to your Wikipedia article and its actual citations.

I have had someone very close to me say that the facts don't matter, belief does. It is so heartbreaking.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
27-06-2016, 08:01 PM
(27-06-2016 07:09 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 02:27 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  I have a cousin whose husband went to a Baptist seminary and can't discuss Christianity before 1800s America and the "Great Awakening", just to add a bit of anecdote to your Wikipedia article and its actual citations.

I have had someone very close to me say that the facts don't matter, belief does. It is so heartbreaking.
But...facts are, facts. Shouldn't there be a middle ground like "Maybe God gave me a brain to reason things out?".

27-06-2016, 08:09 PM
(27-06-2016 08:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 07:09 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  I have had someone very close to me say that the facts don't matter, belief does. It is so heartbreaking.
But...facts are, facts. Shouldn't there be a middle ground like "Maybe God gave me a brain to reason things out?".

No, no. God gave us a brain so we could ignore contrary evidence.

- Paul Dirac
29-06-2016, 11:23 AM
(27-06-2016 08:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  But...facts are, facts. Shouldn't there be a middle ground like "Maybe God gave me a brain to reason things out?".

STOP LISTENING TO SATAN AND HIS LIES! YOU NEED MOAR JESUS!

Easy peasy.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
29-06-2016, 01:45 PM
This calls for a bad, sappy song.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
29-06-2016, 05:39 PM
(27-06-2016 08:09 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(27-06-2016 08:01 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  But...facts are, facts. Shouldn't there be a middle ground like "Maybe God gave me a brain to reason things out?".

No, no. God gave us a brain so we could ignore contrary evidence.

No, God gave us a brain so oh wait he didn't.

EVOLUTION gave us brains because their ability to process information and extrapolate from it benefited our well-being and survival as individuals, families, and societies.

Thus when we forget or forgo that ability, we are worse off for it as individuals, as families, and as societies.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
29-06-2016, 06:33 PM
(29-06-2016 11:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

STOP LISTENING TO SATAN AND HIS LIES! YOU NEED MOAR JESUS!

Easy peasy.

Stop channeling the minister husband man, it's freaky! Tongue Or Trad Catholics who thought JP2 sold out the faith with the encyclical "Faith and Reason".

(29-06-2016 05:39 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Thus when we forget or forgo that ability, we are worse off for it as individuals, as families, and as societies.

I hate to tell you this, but having worked fast food in undergrad, I stopped believing that most humans use any conscious part of the brain a long time ago. And for some of the customers, I'd wager that if not for evolution making sure that we don't need to concentrate on breathing, they'd need help with that too. People acted like ordering a few cheeseburgers was the most difficult thing in the world. Counted 300-400 "uh" and "umm" usages in one, eight hour, shift with headphones on in the grill area.

29-06-2016, 08:03 PM
(29-06-2016 06:33 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  
(29-06-2016 11:23 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  STOP LISTENING TO SATAN AND HIS LIES! YOU NEED MOAR JESUS!

Easy peasy.

Stop channeling the minister husband man, it's freaky! Tongue Or Trad Catholics who thought JP2 sold out the faith with the encyclical "Faith and Reason".

(29-06-2016 05:39 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Thus when we forget or forgo that ability, we are worse off for it as individuals, as families, and as societies.

I hate to tell you this, but having worked fast food in undergrad, I stopped believing that most humans use any conscious part of the brain a long time ago. And for some of the customers, I'd wager that if not for evolution making sure that we don't need to concentrate on breathing, they'd need help with that too. People acted like ordering a few cheeseburgers was the most difficult thing in the world. Counted 300-400 "uh" and "umm" usages in one, eight hour, shift with headphones on in the grill area.

I can tell ya that most people that work in fast food really could care less about the customers. Just the other day I asked the lady at the drive through what the difference in PRICE a combo meal was without the drink. Her answer was "it has a drink" then she proceeded to make fun of me to the other workers. I was so pissed I parked and went in and talked to the manager. It was HER that was being stupid not me. Didn't stop her from making fun of me. And they want more money???
Another time at taco bell I made sure they knew I did not want tomatoes and they argued with me that it didn't come with tomatoes. I knew it did bit what ever. I got my food and what so you know I had tomatoes. The very next day I went back up there and ordered it again and again i said no tomatoes. Again they argued with me, I said I know for a fact it has tomatoes because I got one last night and it had tomato. They assured me it didn't cone with tomatoes. I said ok fine. I got it and again tomatoes! This time I took it in and showed them. Their answer was that's not tomatoes is pico!!! What the hell is pico made of??? TOMATOES!!! I finally got the manager and explained to them the problem and that of someone has an allergy to tomatoes they would kill them because they don't care. And how can u say their is no tomatoes when you know what pico is made of since they work there? Made no sense.

Sorry went on a rant there didn't mean to highjack the thread. Carry on.
[+] 1 user Likes purpledaisies's post