Evangelism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2012, 06:14 AM
Evangelism
Hey, erbody.

I watched the snuff video.... that's not right.... I watched Snuff's video. In it, he and his friend were holding up signs that read "There is no God" and "Honk for Atheists and Non-Believers".

I want to be clear that I fully support their right to publicly display those signs.

My question is this.

Where do people feel the line is?

Atheism is supposed to be about non-belief, a position that's difficult to evangelise. "You should all I don't have belief!" Doesn't quite work IMO. But a message like "There is no God" is a little easier to evangelise.

Anyhoo, there's a relationship between Atheism and evangelism and I'm just trying to learn about people's feelings on the matter.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-08-2012, 06:36 AM
RE: Evangelism
(06-08-2012 06:14 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, erbody.

I watched the snuff video.... that's not right.... I watched Snuff's video. In it, he and his friend were holding up signs that read "There is no God" and "Honk for Atheists and Non-Believers".

I want to be clear that I fully support their right to publicly display those signs.

My question is this.

Where do people feel the line is?

Atheism is supposed to be about non-belief, a position that's difficult to evangelise. "You should all I don't have belief!" Doesn't quite work IMO. But a message like "There is no God" is a little easier to evangelise.

Anyhoo, there's a relationship between Atheism and evangelism and I'm just trying to learn about people's feelings on the matter.

Matt

I practice evangelizing reason, science, and evidence-based belief.

That these deny faith-based belief is unavoidable. Signs saying "There is no God" are not particularly constructive, mostly just attention-getting.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Evangelism
Hey Ghost,
I was already mulling this over after your comment about the snuff film (you're right, that's just too rich not to use).

I agree with you that the statement: "There is no God" is a belief, but it sure does garner a lot more attention than saying: "I don't believe in God" and the whole point of Snuff's experiment is to attract attention in a 20 second encounter with his sign. It may seem as effective as the street preacher holding up a "The End Is Near" sign, but his sign is such in such extreme opposition to the usual Christian sign that it is sure to make people uncomfortable, and I believe that to be his goal.

I am trying to understand what is behind your question, though. Are you saying atheists who share their beliefs are no different than Christians who proselytize?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Hey, Erxomai.

I'm not saying anything. It's more of a question. The relationship exists. I'm just trying to see what people's take on it is.

My only issue with the "There is no God" sign is that it strikes me that the popular view of Atheist is "someone who thinks there is no God" and that many Atheists here on this site think that opinion is unfair and inaccurate. So does that sign not just fuel the misunderstanding?

But also, "there is no God," is a straight up statement. "Hey you! There is no God!" Kind of thing. That strikes me as a form of evangelising but I wanted to go to the horse's mouth on this one.

Hey, Chas.

Quote:I practice evangelizing reason, science, and evidence-based belief.

That these deny faith-based belief is unavoidable...

Those things, to me, can exist without Atheism. I can understand your position that they deny faith positions in and of themselves. So my question is, what do you think of people evangelising Atheism? Do you even think it's possible? If it is possible, where do you see the boundaries and limits? What do you think about the relationship between the two?

Matt
06-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Evangelism
I've been in therapy too long to think a question is just a question, but I'll let your answer slide.

There is one very huge difference between Atheist Preachers/Evangelsists and Christians. If the whole world was made up of Atheists the word atheist would disappear. There would be as much talk about God as there is about Thor. Religion would be a non-issue.
But if the whole world suddenly converted to Christianity, talk about God would be all consuming. The vast majority of Christian preachers are preaching to the choir. But atheist preachers are speaking up for free thinking in a world that has been dominated by belief in the supernatural for at least the past 10,000 years.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
06-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Hey, Erxomai.

I've breathed air long enough to know that's a justification Cool

I'm not looking for justifications for or against it. I'm looking for insight into and opinion on the act itself.

Matt
06-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Evangelism
What's the justification? I see what I said as a prediction. Do you predict something else in my scenario of the extremes?

I am an atheist, but I speak about it very little outside of this site. Having been a preacher/evangelist I'm pretty sure I don't do that with my atheism. If I felt the whole world had to subscribe to my belief system, I'd be writing books or standing on a street corner, but I don't, so I won't. I'm guessing the majority of atheists are like me. Only a hunch, but I think atheist evangelists are a tiny minority of those who my particular worldview. By way of contrast, every Christian, by definition is a follower of Christ who commanded them to share the Good News so they are obligated to share their faith to keep you from going to hell. I have no such obligation so there is no preaching on my part.

~Izel
06-08-2012, 11:57 AM
(06-08-2012 09:20 AM)Ghost Wrote:  
Quote:I practice evangelizing reason, science, and evidence-based belief.

That these deny faith-based belief is unavoidable...

Those things, to me, can exist without Atheism. I can understand your position that they deny faith positions in and of themselves. So my question is, what do you think of people evangelising Atheism? Do you even think it's possible? If it is possible, where do you see the boundaries and limits? What do you think about the relationship between the two?

After a little reflection, I would say that I do evangelize atheism (not Atheism). It's clear on my Facebook page that I'm an atheist, my responses to crap on FB are often pointedly atheist.

I see atheism as an intrinsic element of my view, the rational, scientific, material, natural view. The envangelizing comes as a package with me.

"The science says ... but wait, there's more!
The evidence suggests ... but wait there's more!
Logically, you can't have ... but wait there's more!
The explanation doesn't require any gods ..."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Hey, Erxomai.

I jest, but I just mean that I'm looking for a take on the idea itself because some people think it's impossible, some people think it's pandemic and a bunch more fall in between. What you wrote sounded more like an "it's OK because" statement. Sorry if I offended you.

Hey, Chas.

What to you is the difference between atheism and Atheism?

Matt
06-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Evangelism
Ah, as GirlyMan says, no skin off my scrotum. I was jes curious since I didn't feel my normal defensiveness.

There's another difference with atheist preachers: they don't take up a collection and the profits they get from books goes directly into their taxable income rather than receiving tax breaks for their "ministry". Big Grin

~Izel