Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
20-09-2016, 03:54 AM
RE: Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it?
(20-09-2016 03:40 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 03:34 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Wikipedia does not provide a single definition....
You have strolled down the text in Wikipedia, but right in the second sentence (the preface) is written
Quote:For the general concept of a being superior to humans that is worshiped.....
How this could be wrong?

A dolphin is superior to humans underwater. A bird is superior to a human when you throw the two out of an aeroplane without either expecting it. Are dolphins and birds also gods? If not, why not? You can't say that they are not gods because you cannot define what a god is or is not. You can't say that Astreja is not a god for example.

You are deliberately fooling yourself by not defining what you believe in. It allows you to avoid having to find evidence to verify your beliefs. As I said, you can just as easily believe in Wirbelanks instead of gods. Or anything. Your belief is no more valid than any other fantasy. By not defining what you believe in, you don't care whether you believe in something real or not. Therefore there is no need for anyone to listen to what you say.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
20-09-2016, 04:02 AM
Does this include road laws such as "No speeding" etc?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
20-09-2016, 04:07 AM (This post was last modified: 20-09-2016 04:13 AM by Gloucester.)
(20-09-2016 03:40 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 03:34 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Wikipedia does not provide a single definition....
You have strolled down the text in Wikipedia, but right in the second sentence (the preface) is written
Quote:For the general concept of a being superior to humans that is worshiped.....
How this could be wrong?

Ah, you quote the "disambiguity", Wiki's aid to ensuring that we have the object of our search rather than something merely close, synonymous or irrelevant as part if tbe definition?

In any event that whole article centres on "concept" by my reading, no concrete evidence, a collection of what humans think.

If you want to think some incorporate supernstural entity rules all - that is your entitlement. If you attempt to tell me what to think then you are disrepecting my entitlement, which is certainly not any way of gaining my respect unless I indicate that I accept you tutelage - which I do not..

If the conversation goes:

Theist: Do you accept God as you supreme master?

Atheist: No

Theist: Fair enough, good bye.

Atheist: Good bye.

Then that is a polite conversation, though the atheist has, possibly unknowingly, just wished the theist "God be with you".

All attempt at convincing another that this "God" exists in any form is evangelizing or prosetylising, both bad manners in this house. Having had the latter implied and continuing to repeat the offence is stupidity and/or gross bad manners.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
20-09-2016, 04:45 AM
(20-09-2016 03:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 03:40 AM)theBorg Wrote:  You have strolled down the text in Wikipedia, but right in the second sentence (the preface) is written
How this could be wrong?

A dolphin is superior to humans underwater. A bird is superior to a human when you throw the two out of an aeroplane without either expecting it. Are dolphins and birds also gods? If not, why not?....
The dolphin is not superior in math, I would say. Thus, he is not a god. Here is my True God:

20-09-2016, 04:51 AM
(20-09-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 03:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  A dolphin is superior to humans underwater. A bird is superior to a human when you throw the two out of an aeroplane without either expecting it. Are dolphins and birds also gods? If not, why not?....
The dolphin is not superior in math, I would say. Thus, he is not a god.

But your definition did not say how a god would be superior, just that it was in some way. So a being needs to be superior specifically in Maths does it?

Then your definition says that Emmy Noether is a god.
20-09-2016, 05:21 AM
"Therefore, transport me some dead rats." I need to put that on a T-shirt. You're hilarious, Borg.
20-09-2016, 05:47 AM
God can provide miracles but you still have to pay shipping and handling, apparently.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
20-09-2016, 08:05 AM
TheBorg/Mr. Nobody,

I see that you ignore the link I provided for you and that you requested. Why is that?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
20-09-2016, 08:15 AM
(19-09-2016 10:45 PM)theBorg Wrote:  
(19-09-2016 05:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  be a True Christian gets insta-banned
You would start with me, but end with yourself. See: "Revolution eats own children" (quote from Robespierre).

That doesn't even make sense. Drinking Beverage

Not even with your dishonest misquote. Have you no shame? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-09-2016, 09:18 AM
(20-09-2016 04:51 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(20-09-2016 04:45 AM)theBorg Wrote:  The dolphin is not superior in math, I would say. Thus, he is not a god.

But your definition did not say how a god would be superior, just that it was in some way. So a being needs to be superior specifically in Maths does it?

Then your definition says that Emmy Noether is a god.
Obviously, the True God is superior in every aspect, except the sins like the drinking vodka.Smile