Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
21-09-2016, 06:31 AM
RE: Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it?
(21-09-2016 06:29 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 06:21 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  .... how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining?
The multi-meanings of word "god" are used in the psychology, politics, theology and sociology. Do you agree, what it is useful there?

That didn't answer his question of "how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining?"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-09-2016, 06:36 AM
(21-09-2016 06:31 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 06:29 AM)theBorg Wrote:  The multi-meanings of word "god" are used in the psychology, politics, theology and sociology. Do you agree, what it is useful there?

That didn't answer his question of "how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining?"
Is interesting, what the meaning of word "god" in the so called "secular physics" is the "God Particle" (less known as the Higgs Boson).
21-09-2016, 06:39 AM
(21-09-2016 06:36 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 06:31 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  That didn't answer his question of "how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining?"
Is interesting, what the meaning of word "god" in the so called "secular physics" is the "God Particle" (less known as the Higgs Boson).

So you can't answer the question of "how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining"
21-09-2016, 06:43 AM
(21-09-2016 06:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 06:36 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Is interesting, what the meaning of word "god" in the so called "secular physics" is the "God Particle" (less known as the Higgs Boson).

So you can't answer the question of "how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining"
You could, but only when you do become the theist. Now it is impossible: you are an atheist. See: for a bodybuilder to change the level, must be more stronger himself.
21-09-2016, 06:45 AM
(21-09-2016 06:36 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 06:31 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  That didn't answer his question of "how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining?"

It's not surprising that you do not understand ironic humor. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-09-2016, 06:56 AM
(21-09-2016 06:29 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 06:21 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  .... how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining?
The multi-meanings of word "god" are used in the psychology, politics, theology and sociology. Do you agree, what it is useful there?

Yes but it has no objective meaning. In all those cases it is used to refer to a human idea which each person must create in his own imagination. Just like the idea of fairies or the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You want us to accept that it has objective meaning but you provide no method to distinguish God from something that is merely imaginary. You won't be able to either, not without contradicting your own worldview's most fundamental premise. That's your problem.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
21-09-2016, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2016 07:12 AM by true scotsman.)
(21-09-2016 06:43 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 06:39 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  So you can't answer the question of "how we can reliably distinguish what you call God from something you are merely imagining"
You could, but only when you do become the theist. Now it is impossible: you are an atheist. See: for a bodybuilder to change the level, must be more stronger himself.

So we simply believe that it is real and it becomes real. A perfect example of the primacy of consciousness. Now you are being consistent with what your worldview teaches. But this does not give us a reliable method because we still have no alternative but to imagine this God that we believe is real. And, anyone can use your method for other imaginary things. You will be able to distinguish sparky the wonder unicorn from something which is imaginary when you become a sparkyist.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
21-09-2016, 07:14 AM
(21-09-2016 07:02 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  So we simply believe that it is real and it becomes real. A perfect example of the primacy of consciousness. Now you are being consistent with what your worldview teaches. But this does not give us a reliable method because we still have no alternative but to imagine this God that we believe is real. And, anyone can use your method for other imaginary things. You will be able to distinguish sparky the wonder unicorn from something which is imaginary when you become a sparky its.

What's more, if it becomes real (to us) if we believe it, then why listen to theBorg and believe in his god (whatever it is) rather than something of our own choosing? After all, if it doesn't matter whether it's real or not then we can believe what we want.

Personally I want to believe in Wirbelanks which eat gods for breakfast (eating them raw like Sushi after chasing them down), which don't threaten me with a Hell or tell me how to live. I think I also want to believe that Wirbelanks are furry (and hypoallergenic) and like having their ears stroked. Sounds far better than theBorg's god.
21-09-2016, 07:20 AM
(21-09-2016 07:14 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(21-09-2016 07:02 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  So we simply believe that it is real and it becomes real. A perfect example of the primacy of consciousness. Now you are being consistent with what your worldview teaches. But this does not give us a reliable method because we still have no alternative but to imagine this God that we believe is real. And, anyone can use your method for other imaginary things. You will be able to distinguish sparky the wonder unicorn from something which is imaginary when you become a sparky its.

What's more, if it becomes real (to us) if we believe it, then why listen to theBorg and believe in his god (whatever it is) rather than something of our own choosing? After all, if it doesn't matter whether it's real or not then we can believe what we want.

Personally I want to believe in Wirbelanks which eat gods for breakfast (eating them raw like Sushi after chasing them down), which don't threaten me with a Hell or tell me how to live. I think I also want to believe that Wirbelanks are furry (and hypoallergenic) and like having their ears stroked. Sounds far better than theBorg's god.

Exactly. I want to believe I have a million dollars in my bank. Maybe if I shut my eyes and believe it really hard it will be true. What do you think my chances are?

And TheBorg, what do you think my chances are if I use your method? If not, why?

21-09-2016, 11:28 AM
(21-09-2016 07:02 AM)true scotsman Wrote:  ...anyone can use {theBorg's} method for other imaginary things. You will be able to distinguish sparky the wonder unicorn from something which is imaginary when you become a sparkyist.

And I can think of a lot of things that are more fun to believe than Christianity. I believe I'll start by dropping My body weight about 50 pounds, upping My bench press by 100 pounds, and taking selfies in Casablanca with a 6-foot-long teal green dragon named Glori. (We'll be the ones dressed like Ilsa Lund and Rick Blaine.)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user