Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
30-09-2016, 08:53 AM
RE: Even an atheist can say "the laws came from above", isn't it?
(30-09-2016 08:42 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 08:37 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  We get the greatest reward of all. A life of our own.
So, no community in atheism? Community is organized to help the members materially.

That is not at all what she said. Living your own life doesn't mean that you can't choose to share it with others.

Quote:All are welcomed:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com

Your misrepresentation of science is pointless to discuss. That something is not fully understood does not mean that "god did it" becomes a reasonable answer.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2016, 09:17 AM
(30-09-2016 08:32 AM)theBorg Wrote:  So, no afterlife, no reward for stepping into atheism. Can the atheistic community gift a free T-shirt? Perhaps no. The cruel the atheism is.

Who needs a reward for living in tune with reality? You're stuck in the "Mommy, buy me a lollipop!" stage. Grow up!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
30-09-2016, 09:28 AM
So the whole point of Christianity is to die?

No, thanks.

Unless they have the Internet in heaven, plus science, art, trees, mountains, music, games, sex, conversation . . .

And a 100% life-back garrantee if I don't like the rules.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
30-09-2016, 11:00 AM
(30-09-2016 08:53 AM)unfogged Wrote:  ...... Living your own life doesn't mean that you can't choose to share it with others. ......
But is this personal sharing somewhat organized? Are there the charity communions to target the material needs of "fellow atheists"?
30-09-2016, 11:23 AM
(30-09-2016 11:00 AM)theBorg Wrote:  But is this personal sharing somewhat organized? Are there the charity communions to target the material needs of "fellow atheists"?

Indeed there is! Foundation Beyond Belief
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-09-2016, 11:25 AM
(30-09-2016 11:00 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 08:53 AM)unfogged Wrote:  ...... Living your own life doesn't mean that you can't choose to share it with others. ......
But is this personal sharing somewhat organized? Are there the charity communions to target the material needs of "fellow atheists"?

Why does it need to be organized? Are you incapable of managing your own life? Don't bother answering as that was rhetorical.

Secular charities target the needs of people. Atheists generally don't care if somebody believes something different so long as they don't try to force us to believe it or live by the whims of their imaginary god.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
30-09-2016, 02:16 PM
(29-09-2016 08:35 PM)theBorg Wrote:  The nothing has no properties, except one: "nothing does not exist."
Nothing does nothing. Here is more reliable quote of TA [...]

Aquinas's five ways were a load of meaningless nonsense then, as they are now. You seem to be conveniently forgetting that TA lived 800 years ago, and had only the minimalist understanding of 800-year-old science.

TA also believed in the existence of god, and his creation [sic] of the world. Which just shows how ignorant he really was.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
30-09-2016, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2016 06:06 PM by WhiskeyDebates.)
(30-09-2016 05:32 AM)theBorg Wrote:  
(30-09-2016 05:27 AM)unfogged Wrote:  ..... Respect must be earned and believing in fairy tales is not a path to respect here.
And then the Heaven will be my reward?

Nope, just the dirt or an oven. Same as anyone else really, you just stop and the world keeps spinning. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. It might be a blow to your ego to find out that yes your story really does have an ending. So what?

(30-09-2016 05:47 AM)theBorg Wrote:  So, "no afterlife" then.
No no afterlife. Is there a reason beyond your own self aggrandizing or your ego that you NEED there to be one? Again, your story ends. So what? Does the idea that the universe, which got a long perfectly fine for billions of years without you, will continue to get on perfectly fine without you scare you so much? You bloody Christians go on and on about humility yet you can't picture a time without yourself in it.

(30-09-2016 05:47 AM)theBorg Wrote:  Has the atheistic community the material "reward" for becoming atheist?
Rather telling that you don't give a shit if something is true or not just what you can gain from it. Why do you need a reward, what are you a child? Even if atheism offered no physical benefits and your nonsense did...those benefits don't say a damn thing about which is actually factual true. That's what evidence is for.

That said there have been numerous real world benefits for me personally since I came to the realization that I lacked a belief in the supernatural.

(30-09-2016 08:32 AM)theBorg Wrote:  So, no afterlife, no reward for stepping into atheism. Can the atheistic community gift a free T-shirt? Perhaps no. The cruel the atheism is.
So because you can't seem to figure out the benefits to not believing made up nonsense and what one gets out of living a life that actually comports with reality....atheism is cruel?? Sorry but no, that's not how it works. Just because Christianity is willing to give you a nice reassuring pat on the back and the promise of a reward you can only get after you stop existing and all for the low low cost of surrendering your critical thinking and ability to reason doesn't make atheism cruel.
I'm sorry that you are a greedy, opportunistic, coward of a man who decides what he's going to believe based on what he stands to gain from it, but that doesn't make atheism any less accurate or your religion any less of a scam.

(30-09-2016 08:42 AM)theBorg Wrote:  So, no community in atheism?
You are on a forum that IS one of those communities, questioning if there is a community. Let that stupidity sink in.
(30-09-2016 11:00 AM)theBorg Wrote:  But is this personal sharing somewhat organized? Are there the charity communions to target the material needs of "fellow atheists"?
Yes, several. Frankly this is a question you don't even need to ask us because a simple google search would have told you there are. You can even find threads on this forum where we do exactly that.
And why the fuck wouldn't we? We don't believe in gods, we do believe in helping people just fine though.

Again though even if we were not organized, didn't help each other, and offered no reward......that still wouldn't make atheism wrong or your religion any less of a scam. I won't speak for anyone else here but as for myself but when it comes to my atheism I don't give a shit about rewards, community, or organization. I didn't become an atheist because I wanted a reward I became an atheist because it was, in light of all the demonstrable evidence, the only logically sound and consistent conclusion. The day someone provides demonstrable, testable, falsifiable, and repeatable evidence of the supernatural I'll believe in the supernatural without hesitation. Because I follow the evidence, I don't try to lead it to where I would like it to go.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 4 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
30-09-2016, 06:06 PM
(30-09-2016 05:42 AM)theBorg Wrote:  According to Newton's first law, in the inertial reference system the bodies are moving with acceleration, if an another body acts on it through the force. Looking into the past we always see these acting forces. But because the time has a beginning, at the first moment the bodies were moved by force by the God. Hereby He is not moved by the force, because the infinite sequence of "force movers" is not possible.
OK theBorg before I really get into the meat and potatoes of this bullshit I want to ask you a few questions.

What are the properties of nothing? I'm talking about the nothing that people talk about when they say stuff like "something can't come from nothing!" I mean before the universe kind of nothing.

If it's nothing, does light exist?
If it's nothing, does math exist?
If it's nothing, does ...gravity exist?
If it's nothing, does....the law of cause and effect exist?

DOES CAUSALITY EXIST WITHIN NOTHINGNESS?

I look forward to not reading the response you won't make.RolleyesDrinking Beverage

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.
[+] 2 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
01-10-2016, 12:02 AM
Quote:theBorg Wrote:
So, no afterlife, no reward for stepping into atheism. Can the atheistic community gift a free T-shirt? Perhaps no. The cruel the atheism is.

What is your god going to think about you, knowing you worship him only because you think you will have a reward for doing so? Since he is omniscient he does already know! What do you think he is going to do to you, knowing he is throwing people into hellfire just for honestly (unlike you!) disbelieving? Drinking Beverage

If you were in his position and found out that your friends actually dont like you but are only your friends because they benefit from you, what would you do? Consider

And before you are going to lie, saying that benefit is not your only driving force: Your god is omniscient. You can lie to me, your can not lie to him. Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post