Even the machines are becoming religious...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2013, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2013 08:52 PM by ridethespiral.)
Even the machines are becoming religious...
[Image: before_flood.png]

I'm researching trying to find out world population before the renaissance so I could participate in the I and I v. science thread and BAM, scriptural suggestions from Google.

Okay, yeah sure, not a big deal but...

Googles fledgling AI spends all day crawling the web and now they are bringing quantum computing into the mix (http://www.technologyreview.com/news/514...-ai-lab/). I would love to see an AI but I think this would have to be my worst nightmare Big Grin

[Image: 38694994.jpg]

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes ridethespiral's post
12-06-2013, 09:32 PM
RE: Even the machines are becoming religious...
I did a small AI project while working on my degree and have created a small one for a company. There are still some problems with it, I have tried a few Google things, but it keeps getting better all the time. There is a talk in the Religulous movie where Maher talks with someone doing work on it and says some day computers will be more intelligent than homosapians. All of this keeps me thinking about many of the talks I have read by Paul Ehrlich, geologists who have talked resources/population, chemists (thought about it at one time) and biology.

Greetings carbon-based bipeds. - Arthur Clarke
The stars died so you could be here today. - Lawrence Krauss
Mathematics is the language of nature. - Lawrence Krauss
I care to live only to entice people to look at Nature's loveliness. - John Muir
Find all posts by this user
13-06-2013, 05:44 AM
I think google's suggestions here are based on past searches, so reflect what humans have queried before rather than reflecting machine understanding of the content of the Web.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
13-06-2013, 05:51 AM
(13-06-2013 05:44 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think google's suggestions here are based on past searches, so reflect what humans have queried before rather than reflecting machine understanding of the content of the Web.

You fool! That's what it wants you to think!

The Google mind is self-aware and is uber-religious.
Just look at the evidence - it feeds us religious results and sexual links - it is obsessed with god, sex, and control. It is Roman Catholic.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
13-06-2013, 07:01 AM
So wait, are you saying that when Skynet really does take over, it won't destroy all humanity, it'll just convert it all?

Talk about hell on earth... Sad

[Image: 21omssh.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes LostLocke's post
13-06-2013, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2013 08:12 AM by ridethespiral.)
(13-06-2013 05:44 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  I think google's suggestions here are based on past searches, so reflect what humans have queried before rather than reflecting machine understanding of the content of the Web.

You are correct, but Google is working on an AI for various purposes, and it's logical to assume that one of them will be to provide better search results. It learns by crawling the web and it is already better than people at Jeopardy. My point is if that the search suggestion algorithms can't distinguish between religiosity and factual/relevant search how will an AI...Will the AI make it's way to 'answers in genesis' and take a decidedly christian viewpoint moving forward? I hope not. How will it reconcile the viewpoints of the various religions and the sciences it crosses, the religious type/speak as if this stuff is fact, their explanations though flawed are simple and can cover areas that science has yet to illuminate...probably presents some type of problem for it's creators.

13-06-2013, 03:45 PM
Well, I can't wait for Tlaloc and the Machine Crusade. I haven't decided which side I want to be on yet.

Aspiring optimist
Eternal Pragmatist.
With the uncanny ability to see all sides in every argument.
13-06-2013, 06:45 PM
(13-06-2013 03:45 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Well, I can't wait for Tlaloc and the Machine Crusade. I haven't decided which side I want to be on yet.

Off topic but how are his sons books on the old empire (his son wrote those right)?

I read everything from Dune up to The God Emperor and then went off to dig some other authors for awhile.

Which ones are the best/reveal the most about the overall history/state of the galaxy, spacing guild etc.? + Any other Herbert I should be sure to read?

13-06-2013, 06:52 PM
(13-06-2013 06:45 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  
(13-06-2013 03:45 PM)Caveman Wrote:  Well, I can't wait for Tlaloc and the Machine Crusade. I haven't decided which side I want to be on yet.

Off topic but how are his sons books on the old empire (his son wrote those right)?

I read everything from Dune up to The God Emperor and then went off to dig some other authors for awhile.

Which ones are the best/reveal the most about the overall history/state of the galaxy, spacing guild etc.? + Any other Herbert I should be sure to read?

They're shit.

Well, that's not fair. They're reasonably entertaining for a couple days.

What they're not is a sprawling, in-depth examination of human nature, its limits, and its consequences. Which is what Dune is. God Emperor's probably the worst of them (I always found it a slog); you should read Heretics and Chapterhouse to finish out the original run.
13-06-2013, 07:03 PM
(13-06-2013 06:52 PM)cjlr Wrote:  They're shit.

Well, that's not fair. They're reasonably entertaining for a couple days.

What they're not is a sprawling, in-depth examination of human nature, its limits, and its consequences. Which is what Dune is. God Emperor's probably the worst of them (I always found it a slog); you should read Heretics and Chapterhouse to finish out the original run.

Lol, as so often is the case. How is the world building? I'm big on world building, I love Larry Niven and Arthur Clark kinda stuff like that, even if the characters are fairly 1 dimensional?

Thanks, I will finish the series Big Grin

Ps. I thought God Emperor was pretty good or at least the end was goodl, the whole female guard thing was cool, Leto with the whole worm v. man v. god thing. It kinda read like an Azimov book, nothing really actually happens per se until the end. It was Children of Dune that I found dull because it explored almost the exact same set of ideas as Messiah through a slightly different course of events.