Even the machines are becoming religious...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 07:05 PM
RE: Even the machines are becoming religious...
(12-06-2013 09:32 PM)wisergeek Wrote:  I did a small AI project while working on my degree and have created a small one for a company. There are still some problems with it, I have tried a few Google things, but it keeps getting better all the time. There is a talk in the Religulous movie where Maher talks with someone doing work on it and says some day computers will be more intelligent than homosapians. All of this keeps me thinking about many of the talks I have read by Paul Ehrlich, geologists who have talked resources/population, chemists (thought about it at one time) and biology.

The Inquisitionwill be back....but with nanosecond response time.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-06-2013, 07:26 PM
(13-06-2013 07:03 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Lol, as so often is the case. How is the world building? I'm big on world building, I love Larry Niven and Arthur Clark kinda stuff like that, even if the characters are fairly 1 dimensional?
The world building consists of taking what's implied in the original novels, getting some details wrong anyway, and patching it over with some pretty typical b-grade filler. There's nothing there you haven't seen before (a mix of allusions to Dune plus stock sci-fi tropes), so it's kinda disappointing in that sense.

(13-06-2013 07:03 PM)ridethespiral Wrote:  Thanks, I will finish the series Big Grin

Ps. I thought God Emperor was pretty good or at least the end was good, the whole female guard thing was cool, Leto with the whole worm v. man v. god thing. It kinda read like an Azimov book, nothing really actually happens per se until the end. It was Children of Dune that I found dull because it explored almost the exact same set of ideas as Messiah through a slightly different course of events.

Hmm. True. I suppose Children can be a bit of a retread (though one could argue that's actually important thematically, if one were so inclined Wink). God Emperor probably has the least actual plot, though.

Heretics is my second-favourite of the bunch! So do try to pick up the last two.
13-06-2013, 07:29 PM
(13-06-2013 07:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  Hmm. True. I suppose Children can be a bit of a retread (though one could argue that's actually important thematically, if one were so inclined Wink). God Emperor probably has the least actual plot, though.

Yeah I remember reading a review that basically said to skip Messiah and go right to Children, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. I can totally see why it was recommended though.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Run! Flee, flee for your lives!

[Image: 439352014_974737b92f.jpg]

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post