Even this makes me (a Christian) cringe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2013, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2013 04:55 PM by Vera.)
RE: Even this makes me (a Christian) cringe
(21-10-2013 04:46 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And that is precisely what makes KC cringe. It diminishes his faith. ... Don't bother Girly none though.

Took the words right out of my mouth, Girly! A story like that would make me cringe so bad when I was still deluded (sorry, KCSmile), because god wasn't my own personal Jesus little helper or a wish-granting fairy or something.

Now? I don't give a shit about it (and not just 'cause my shit-shovelling days are over Weeping ).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-10-2013, 05:16 PM
This is a dumb question, but: Don't you believe she was predestined to find the ring, and therefore don't you accept that she is in fact correct in saying that God choose for her to find it?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
21-10-2013, 08:48 PM
KC, what DO you think happened then? Shouldn't this have happened? Is this experience that she feels brought her closer to God different than yours? How is this guidance different than what you feel you're being told from God?
21-10-2013, 09:12 PM
So every time someone happens to look somewhere and see something out of the ordinary, then "god did it"

Once i looked at my poop before flushing (maybe I do it all the time) , and I seen what looked like green pepper in it.
It was a sign that god did not want me to eat green peppers anymore, and low behold I have never seen green bits in my poop again AMEN!!!

So in conclusion the the diamond story is literally and figuratively as shit as my story.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
21-10-2013, 09:34 PM
Why does god get the credit when something good happens but none of the blame when something bad happens?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
21-10-2013, 10:04 PM
(21-10-2013 09:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Why does god get the credit when something good happens but none of the blame when something bad happens?

Was this a good thing?

Fast forward 20 years...
Headline:
Girl who found god's diamond leaves Crack Clinic.

From the article:
She said, "Since finding that horrible stone, everyone knows the story as the tabloids told it: the bitter family schism, the family lawsuit, my parents' divorce, the Hollywood movie, the drug parties ...
God must have been showing the darkness and the abyss that I knew nothing of as a child. He tested me like he tested Job.
Now my faith is stronger but it's different kind of faith..."

Your god has a purpose, KC... he likes to fuck with his creation.

Cool

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-10-2013, 12:26 AM
(21-10-2013 09:34 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Why does god get the credit when something good happens but none of the blame when something bad happens?

Cause god only does good stuff...

Satin (misspelled on purpose) does the bad. Or so a fundie said.

Of course I made a comment about slipping on sheets that just blew over their head.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

22-10-2013, 03:09 AM
Why does it is make you cringe? My mother lives for these stories. Her Facebook is nothing but amazing miraculous (usually made up) stories of god intervening or showing someone the path to good luck. She also has few bad stories about how the devil breaks down people's cars and such. Just for balance I guess. Even when I was still a believer I never understood this. Why does god get the praise for keeping your car running, but he doesn't get blamed for letting it break down?
22-10-2013, 03:13 AM
(21-10-2013 04:52 PM)Vera Wrote:  a wish-granting fairy

I want a wish-granting fairy! Sign me up for whatever religion gives a wish granting fairy.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
22-10-2013, 09:36 AM
Yes... technically... God did make her find it since every bit of minutia is pre-planned; however, the connotation that she portrays is that God is, as aforementioned, some wish granting fairy fluttering about making sure unicorns and rainbows are in tact for Christians.

That's ain't it.

This world is filled with crap. Horrible crap. This crap happens to everyone... even Christians. God planned all that for whatever reason... horror, anguish, fright, starvation; along with with hope, peace, happiness, and beauty.

But, to say that God led you to find a diamond for your own personal monetary joy is a slap in the face to His omnipotence.

God ain't all unicorns and rainbows, little girl. Neither is Christianity. The sooner you learn that, the sooner you'll realize you've got a wrong understanding of God.

On a side note, this is the type of mentality that I think a lot of ex-Christians have about God. That is, if things gets ugly, they question their faith and as to why God didn't provide them with their life of unicorns and rainbows.

Maybe I'm jaded and cynical... maybe... but I just call it being realistic.

God isn't an omnibenevolent super hero.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post