Evenheathen you may have it bad in Kansas, but in Iowa....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2014, 11:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 11:15 PM by Smercury44.)
Evenheathen you may have it bad in Kansas, but in Iowa....
We're giving you a run for your money. WTAF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Facepalm

The separation of church and state is no more

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Smercury44's post
12-04-2014, 11:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2014 11:37 PM by TheGulegon.)
RE: Evenheathen you may have it bad in Kansas, but in Iowa....
(12-04-2014 11:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  We're giving you a run for your money. WTAF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Facepalm

When I first read the thread title I thought you were talking about that storm Laugh out load
Though how better to spend a rainy day than reading about idiots Wink Tongue

[edit] I know everybody's smiling in that photo, but... that kid... idk! He looks shifty Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
12-04-2014, 11:50 PM
It's gonna get worse before it gets better. The death throes of religion are upon us, or so I like to imagine.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 6 users Like evenheathen's post
12-04-2014, 11:51 PM
Damnit we can hope, this shit is just crazy No

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 3 users Like Smercury44's post
13-04-2014, 12:04 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2014 12:09 AM by evenheathen.)
Honestly, I like the crazy. It means that there isn't 100% consensus around us that the historical statistic of christian right wing lunacy is actually in charge anymore. I revel in the fact that change is abrewin.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
13-04-2014, 12:21 AM
(12-04-2014 11:11 PM)Smercury44 Wrote:  We're giving you a run for your money. WTAF?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Facepalm

Yeah....Blink
Facepalm

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-04-2014, 06:53 AM
This actually surprises me.

I was under the impression that Iowa was one of the more liberal/progressive states in the midwest.
13-04-2014, 08:00 AM
Ugh, how awful. I just read Margaret Atwood's The Handmaid's Tale (1985), which is a dystopic science fiction novel. Society basically follows old testament law and has no separation of church and state. Yeah, it's a novel and is totally extreme, but then I see stories like this and I get concerned. Where can we go from here? Where do the people who want to abolish separation of church and state want it to end?

Also, I know I'm 30 years behind the times, but I totally recommend the book if you're interested in novels about feminism, separation of church and state, or dystopian futures.

http://dignitywithoutfear.blogspot.com/
13-04-2014, 09:00 AM
Yeah, that's bad. No

In related news...

Mississippi passed a "religious liberty bill" similar the one that failed in Arizona which included adding the phrase "In God We Trust" to the state seal.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/...tisan.html

The Louisiana legislature is in the process of trying to make the Bible the state book. A move which according them in no way endorses Christianity. I'm still not sure how they can say that with a straight face. Consider

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/04/...tate-book/

North Carolina's adoption of the Columbian Mamoth as the state fossil includes this nonesense in the official language:

Section 1-1-712A. The Columbian Mammoth, which was created on the Sixth Day with the other beasts of the field, is designated as the official State Fossil of South Carolina and must be officially referred to as the 'Columbian Mammoth', which was created on the Sixth Day with the other beasts of the field.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news...74/?no-ist

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
13-04-2014, 12:27 PM
(13-04-2014 06:53 AM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  This actually surprises me.

I was under the impression that Iowa was one of the more liberal/progressive states in the midwest.

We really are in some ways. First to legalize interracial marriage, one of the first to legalize gay marriage. I hardly ever hear people talk about church or religion, maybe three or four time a year. But we are way behind on marijuana legalization (not even medicinally legal yet), and now this Dodgy brandstad is not a good guy No