Ever really like a song, then realize its about god? FUUUUUU...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2013, 12:50 PM
Ever really like a song, then realize its about god? FUUUUUU...
Well, I've got a bunch, but I'll just post two examples of really nice songs that kinda bug me now.

First is a very beautiful song by Lifehouse, entitled Everything. Great song, but now I have to take it literally to mean "everything", as in the universe, instead of god.

Then there is this one, which had potential when he started singing about evolution and stars... but then he goes and claims that "if you're not really here, then the stars don't even matter"... I'll have to take it as some reference to illusion in some philosophical sense.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-02-2013, 03:32 PM
RE: Ever really like a song, then realize its about god? FUUUUUU...
Majority (or just a lot) of the songs that I listen to are blatantly religious and/or make religious references.

Then I really like them, subsequently.

You can't remove spirituality, religion and gospel from some modern day music, when that's the essence and foundation of a lot of it. Or, I guess as much as you could put a suit on me, send me to church, and call me a Christian.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
19-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Well, the whole song is a prayer. But it is an oh-so-human prayer.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
19-02-2013, 05:29 PM
(19-02-2013 03:32 PM)TrulyX Wrote:  Majority (or just a lot) of the songs that I listen to are blatantly religious and/or make religious references.

Then I really like them, subsequently.

You can't remove spirituality, religion and gospel from some modern day music, when that's the essence and foundation of a lot of it. Or, I guess as much as you could put a suit on me, send me to church, and call me a Christian.

Re "any better than this"........imagine a good many would say "any worse than this" especially when those preacher men came a preach'in the word, and enslaving them....................... Confused
20-02-2013, 10:43 AM
(19-02-2013 05:29 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Re "any better than this"........imagine a good many would say "any worse than this" especially when those preacher men came a preach'in the word, and enslaving them....................... Confused

Are you asking if I can post songs that are more religious than that?

I like gospel music, so I can post songs that are to that point directly; or do you mean songs from secular musical genres, or that could otherwise be secular, that are religious in essence?

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
20-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Yup. Undecided

Fortunately, I can't readily understand half the shit he's saying (and in order to keep it that way, I refuse to look up the lyrics again), so it doesn't really bother me too much.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-02-2013, 12:24 PM
(19-02-2013 12:50 PM)WeAreTheCosmos Wrote:  Then there is this one, which had potential when he started singing about evolution and stars... but then he goes and claims that "if you're not really here, then the stars don't even matter"... I'll have to take it as some reference to illusion in some philosophical sense.

Well, yea... one day you won't be here, so... ? However ... since I didn't listen to the song ... if there is some further insinuation that a god had anything to do with those stars... as in possibly placing them there for whatever mysterious reason... well, one gets out of philosophy what one puts into it... or perhaps, reads into it.

I personally don't inject much spiritual or religious meaning into songs, per se. If the composer says it's about god or giant pandas, it really has nothing to do with me.
---
I don't listen to Dave Mathews band but for illustration purposes, the words of one of his older songs sticks in my mind ... probably because I ran over a CD in the street, yesterday ...poor Dave... I got out to look at it and it was that album with this song ...

- The Dreaming Tree -

Standing here
The old man said to me
Long before these crowded streets
Here stood my dreaming tree
Below it he would sit
For hours at a time
Now progress takes away
What forever took to find
... ... ...
...and so on...
I don't need much more than that to take my imagination out of me. I don't really care where a well crafted story goes, when I know right off I'm willing to follow someone's thoughtful words about an idea. For me, the word imagery just helps my own imagination along, so I can relate to the artist's perspective about whatever he/she's singing about. My imagination is part of whatever I may get out of a song or indeed, any work of art.
Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I was just thinking about this! I tend to let music speak to me. I don't just disregard it because it's a certain form I don't normally like. I've found a few gems by being open. BUT if I realize a certain song is more from a religious point of view but AFTER I have pulled some lyrics from it that I love and make me feel good or bring out certain feelings in me, then I "edit" it in a way. I try my best to ignore the literal meaning and then I allow myself to hear it from a more broad meaning.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
26-02-2013, 08:03 AM
Remember by Burden of a Day....I love the song, but then I looked at the lyrics and its about turning your back on god and "forgetting" his "love". I still love the song for the music and the dudes voice, but it kinda killed me inside to hear such potential wasted on idiotic lyrics.

Shock And Awe Tactics-- The "application of massive or overwhelming force" to "disarm, incapacitate, or render the enemy impotent with as few casualties to ourselves and to noncombatants as possible"
26-02-2013, 09:05 AM
I have done this with songs that I wasn't really sure about. I don't know much about Florence Welch, but some of her lyrics make me cringe. I hear it in Arcade Fire music too - not sure of their religious feelings, but some of their songs throw me off. I don't know, I used to be able to just listen and not even notice these things, but now, when I do... it really bugs me! Eh, I wish it didn't though. Some music can be good, even with just a touch of the ridiculous.