Ever sadder state of UK education, religious schools.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2016, 12:08 PM
Ever sadder state of UK education, religious schools.
https://humanism.org.uk/2016/09/23/gover...ouncement/
In line with its ambition to deliver 500 new free schools by 2020, the Government has given the green light to 11 new religious schools in its latest wave of 77 free school approvals. The schools are the first to be approved since the Government announced that it will move to scrap the requirement that new ‘faith’ schools keep at least half of their places open to local children, irrespective of religion or belief. If these plans go ahead, all 11 schools will be able to religiously select 100% of their places. The British Humanist Association (BHA) has stated that the latest free school approvals are yet another sign of the Government’s backward approach to improving integration in the education system.

Of the 11 religious schools given approval, nine are either Church of England or Christian in character. They are:

Derby Cathedral School, a Church of England secondary
A Level Sixth Form School, Bury St Edmunds, a Church of England school for pupils aged 16 to 19
The Trinity College, an all-through Christian school in Colchester
Bishop Arden Church of England Free School, a secondary in Hillingdon
Emmanuel Community School, a Christian primary school in Waltham Forest
Cathedral Free School, a Church of England primary in Liverpool
Cathedral Enterprise School, a Church of England secondary in Bristol
East Village C of E Academy, a primary school in Swindon
Middle Wichel CE (Primary) Academy also in Swindon
In addition, two new Hindu schools have been approved, the Avanti Leicester School and the Avanti Brent School. Both are being set up by the Avanti Schools Trust which currently operates five other existing Hindu schools in England.

The approval of these new religious schools comes just days after the Government announced the removal of the so-called ‘50% cap’ on religious selection, meaning that both new and existing free schools may soon be able to religiously discriminate for all of their places when previously they have only been able to do so for up to half. The move has been strongly criticised by a range of individuals and organisations, with Conservative Party grandee Ken Clarke MP asking the Education Secretary Justine Greening to ‘reconsider pretty fundamentally the announcement’, and Professor Ted Cantle CBE of the Institute for Community Cohesion Foundation calling the move ‘retrograde’ and ‘deleterious to integration’.
Unquote.

"Give me a boy under 7...."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2016, 12:39 PM
RE: Ever sadder state of UK education, religious schools.
(24-09-2016 12:08 PM)Zeff Wrote:  https://humanism.org.uk/2016/09/23/gover...ouncement/
In line with its ambition to deliver 500 new free schools by 2020, the Government has given the green light to 11 new religious schools in its latest wave of 77 free school approvals. The schools are the first to be approved since the Government announced that it will move to scrap the requirement that new ‘faith’ schools keep at least half of their places open to local children, irrespective of religion or belief. If these plans go ahead, all 11 schools will be able to religiously select 100% of their places. The British Humanist Association (BHA) has stated that the latest free school approvals are yet another sign of the Government’s backward approach to improving integration in the education system.

Of the 11 religious schools given approval, nine are either Church of England or Christian in character. They are:

Derby Cathedral School, a Church of England secondary
A Level Sixth Form School, Bury St Edmunds, a Church of England school for pupils aged 16 to 19
The Trinity College, an all-through Christian school in Colchester
Bishop Arden Church of England Free School, a secondary in Hillingdon
Emmanuel Community School, a Christian primary school in Waltham Forest
Cathedral Free School, a Church of England primary in Liverpool
Cathedral Enterprise School, a Church of England secondary in Bristol
East Village C of E Academy, a primary school in Swindon
Middle Wichel CE (Primary) Academy also in Swindon
In addition, two new Hindu schools have been approved, the Avanti Leicester School and the Avanti Brent School. Both are being set up by the Avanti Schools Trust which currently operates five other existing Hindu schools in England.

The approval of these new religious schools comes just days after the Government announced the removal of the so-called ‘50% cap’ on religious selection, meaning that both new and existing free schools may soon be able to religiously discriminate for all of their places when previously they have only been able to do so for up to half. The move has been strongly criticised by a range of individuals and organisations, with Conservative Party grandee Ken Clarke MP asking the Education Secretary Justine Greening to ‘reconsider pretty fundamentally the announcement’, and Professor Ted Cantle CBE of the Institute for Community Cohesion Foundation calling the move ‘retrograde’ and ‘deleterious to integration’.
Unquote.

"Give me a boy under 7...."

Derby cathedral school.

My fucking city Sad

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply