Ever thought of a Dream Interpretation Board?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2013, 12:59 AM
RE: Ever thought of a Dream Interpretation Board?
(04-05-2013 02:34 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  Awhile back I started a thread (I think it was on this forum) that attempted to categorize and analyse dreams. I wanted to categorize themes and symbols by a. culture. b. species.

Example 1. having a nightmare about public speaking and being naked. I'd say this is cultural.
Example 2. dreaming about your teeth falling out. I'd say this is species wide. But why this specific scene? What is it about losing your teeth? Is it that teeth are our only natural weapon - and dreaming about losing it coincides with a feeling of powerlessness or unease?

Then there's the "feeling like running through cement" or "waking up before falling to death" which I'd say are all species wide, with rational explanations for why everyone has them.

Something like that. Categorizing and interpreting the reason for certain themes and symbols. No mysticism, no supernaturalism, just psychology.

Anyway, I think it didn't get far.

The thing about dreams is that they are unbelievably metaphorical. So in the instance of losing one's teeth, it's very unlikely that it has anything whatever to do with the actual purpose of teeth. And the metaphors would be different for each person and even for each dream in some cases.

At first blush, I would see losing one's teeth as a metaphor for needing to cut something (likely ties with a friend, relative, group, etc) and passing up the chance.

The human mind is a truly fascinating thing to study.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 07:17 AM
(05-05-2013 12:06 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wait, was that just a Chas insult?

Insult? No.

Truth? Yes.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-05-2013, 07:18 AM
(05-05-2013 01:26 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(05-05-2013 09:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  Ego is seriously confused.

He has beliefs, none of which are rational, none of which are rationally arrived at.
There is no need for his beliefs to be consistent with each other.

You give him far too much credit.Drinking Beverage

Atheist beliefs aren't any more rational. But we believe what we need to believe in this life and we walk that path and it all leads to greater wisdom that we apply on our lucid spiritual plane. That's what it's all about.

You still don't understand atheism. You still recoil in horror at the fact that humans aren't special.

Grow up.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-05-2013, 07:30 AM
(05-05-2013 01:26 PM)Egor Wrote:  Atheist beliefs aren't any more rational. But we believe what we need to believe in this life and we walk that path and it all leads to greater wisdom that we apply on our lucid spiritual plane. That's what it's all about.

Egor, I am not sure how many times I have told you, atheists don't believe! They have no beliefs. That is what it means to be an atheist. No beliefs at all.

You may know something, you may deduce that something is likely to happen (like the sun coming up in the morning) but you don't nilly willy believe shit.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 09:14 AM

(06-05-2013 07:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  You still don't understand atheism. You still recoil in horror at the fact that humans aren't special.

Grow up.

If humans aren't special why is everyone of them distinct from every other one? If every person is unique, why do you think they aren't special?

If we weren't special, the Divine would have made us all one of a type and not one of a kind.

But I can see it makes you very angry when people don't agree with you. You get very insulting and hostile. Maybe you should devote some time to that. Think on it a bit. Yes
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 09:18 AM

(06-05-2013 07:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  Egor, I am not sure how many times I have told you, atheists don't believe! They have no beliefs. That is what it means to be an atheist. No beliefs at all.

But of course that's absurd and easily disproved. For one, you believe there is no God.

Quote:You may know something, you may deduce that something is likely to happen (like the sun coming up in the morning) but you don't nilly willy believe shit.

How is deducing something is likely to happen not believing? And how is not willy nilly believing shit the same thing as having no beliefs at all?

If the things you say are inconsistent with one another just over a few sentences, how am I supposed to believe you have it all figured out and I don't?
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2013, 09:25 AM
(06-05-2013 09:18 AM)Egor Wrote:  ... how am I supposed to believe you have it all figured out and I don't?

'Cause she's way cuter than you are. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-05-2013, 09:33 AM
(06-05-2013 09:14 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:18 AM)Chas Wrote:  You still don't understand atheism. You still recoil in horror at the fact that humans aren't special.

Grow up.

If humans aren't special why is everyone of them distinct from every other one? If every person is unique, why do you think they aren't special?

Why is every oak tree different? It's called DNA, you moron.

Quote:If we weren't special, the Divine would have made us all one of a type and not one of a kind.

The Divine didn't make us. Evolution did.

Quote:But I can see it makes you very angry when people don't agree with you. You get very insulting and hostile. Maybe you should devote some time to that. Think on it a bit. Yes

I'm not angry, I'm disgusted by your stupidity.

06-05-2013, 09:40 AM
(06-05-2013 09:18 AM)Egor Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 07:30 AM)Dom Wrote:  Egor, I am not sure how many times I have told you, atheists don't believe! They have no beliefs. That is what it means to be an atheist. No beliefs at all.

But of course that's absurd and easily disproved. For one, you believe there is no God.

Quote:You may know something, you may deduce that something is likely to happen (like the sun coming up in the morning) but you don't nilly willy believe shit.

How is deducing something is likely to happen not believing? And how is not willy nilly believing shit the same thing as having no beliefs at all?

If the things you say are inconsistent with one another just over a few sentences, how am I supposed to believe you have it all figured out and I don't?

No , I don't believe there is no god. I don't think there is a god.

Deducing that something is likely to happen is not at all believing. Believing something inherently implies that you don't know this, but you choose to consider it a truth.

I don't choose to consider something a truth. It is either a fact, or it isn't. If it's not a fact, I may consider it possible or impossible. But I don't believe it nilly willy. I could not make myself believe something if I wanted to.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 10:01 AM
(06-05-2013 09:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-05-2013 09:14 AM)Egor Wrote:  If humans aren't special why is everyone of them distinct from every other one? If every person is unique, why do you think they aren't special?

Why is every oak tree different? It's called DNA, you moron.

I thought it was called envonment, you moron. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]