Every Single School Choice Participant in new Wisonsin Progam religious.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Every Single School Choice Participant in new Wisonsin Progam religious.
Except one.

I did a quick google search on all the schools that did not have overtly religious names, and there looks to be only one on the entire list of participants in the Wisconsin School Choice program, Montessori School of Waukesha.

Every single other school is religious affiliated. How is this not a sop to religion?
http://dpi.wi.gov/files/eis/pdf/dpinr2013_91.pdf

This is a small pilot expansion of the Milwaukee program statewide for 500 student. Milwaukee's program, although containing lots of religious schools, has a number of non-religious affiliated options to choose from. Maybe more secular options will start up if finds follow the kids into the school of their choice.

However this pilot program seems like nothing more than a sop to religion. What tee'd me off was that watching PBS's weekly state news program, I learned that a Green Bay are system of religious schools divided themselves up into three districts so they could qualify for three times the participants, and the interviewed official from those religious private schools revealed that the students would contribute hundreds of thousands of dollars which will not be used toward any hiring of staff or allocation of additional resources to teaching. In other words, this is a direct subsidy to their religion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-08-2013, 01:02 PM
RE: Every Single School Choice Participant in new Wisonsin Progam religious.
I don't see what your problem is. These are all private schools. It even starts off with the by saying these are nonsectarian and religious schools. The entire point of this (from my casual reading of something that has no effect on me) is that students who are outside the public school system can still receive education without having to pay the fees of a private school which they may not be able to afford. What else were you expecting in regards to private schools. If someone wants a religious based education, then they would have to go through the private school system (I presume in Wisconsin there are no public religious schools). This would entail a proliferation of religious private schools. Does it not make sense that when the public school system requires better coverage, without the costs of building new schools, they would instead turn to private schools, who are most likely religious in nature.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
17-08-2013, 05:41 PM
By the same token, on the college level you can get a Pell Grant to go to a religious school as long as it is properly accredited.

So for example Bob Jone University is out, but Southern Methodist University would be OK.

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Quote:The Wisconsin Parental Choice Program allows students whose family income is below 185 percent of the federal poverty level and who reside outside of the
Milwaukee and Racine Unified school districts to use a taxpayer funded voucher to attend participating private or religious schools with no charge for tuition.

There's the problem. As a taxpayer I do not want to support religious horseshit.
17-08-2013, 09:04 PM
@ minimalist

Quote:There's the problem. As a taxpayer I do not want to support religious horseshit.

Not to sound snarky, but what would be your solution to students that do not have access to the public school system getting an education.

It's not that they are trying to fund the religious schools, but that the religious schools (which are accompanied by non sectarian schools) are the only ones available. This way poor people can receive an education if there are only private schools ion the area.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
17-08-2013, 09:09 PM
(17-08-2013 09:04 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  @ minimalist

Quote:There's the problem. As a taxpayer I do not want to support religious horseshit.

Not to sound snarky, but what would be your solution to students that do not have access to the public school system getting an education.

It's not that they are trying to fund the religious schools, but that the religious schools (which are accompanied by non sectarian schools) are the only ones available. This way poor people can receive an education if there are only private schools ion the area.

Who does not have access to the public school system?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
17-08-2013, 09:14 PM
(17-08-2013 01:02 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  I don't see what your problem is. These are all private schools. It even starts off with the by saying these are nonsectarian and religious schools. The entire point of this (from my casual reading of something that has no effect on me) is that students who are outside the public school system can still receive education without having to pay the fees of a private school which they may not be able to afford. What else were you expecting in regards to private schools. If someone wants a religious based education, then they would have to go through the private school system (I presume in Wisconsin there are no public religious schools). This would entail a proliferation of religious private schools. Does it not make sense that when the public school system requires better coverage, without the costs of building new schools, they would instead turn to private schools, who are most likely religious in nature.

The problem is that the program is almost entirely for religious schools. I would expect religious schools to be part of a school choice program, but not if the program consists entirely of religious schools.
17-08-2013, 09:27 PM
BryanS Wrote:
TarzanSmith Wrote:I don't see what your problem is. These are all private schools. It even starts off with the by saying these are nonsectarian and religious schools. The entire point of this (from my casual reading of something that has no effect on me) is that students who are outside the public school system can still receive education without having to pay the fees of a private school which they may not be able to afford. What else were you expecting in regards to private schools. If someone wants a religious based education, then they would have to go through the private school system (I presume in Wisconsin there are no public religious schools). This would entail a proliferation of religious private schools. Does it not make sense that when the public school system requires better coverage, without the costs of building new schools, they would instead turn to private schools, who are most likely religious in nature.

The problem is that the program is almost entirely for religious schools. I would expect religious schools to be part of a school choice program, but not if the program consists entirely of religious schools.

Now it is difficult to know the exact school demographics of Wisconsin. It would seem to me that areas without publicly funded religious schools, Religious private schools would be in the majority. This coupled with the fact that religious schools tend to be more orientated towards coverage than profit (only a guess but is somewhat based on the fact that the only Catholic university in Canada is in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. That's my school) This to me would make religious schools ideal for this program.

- my friend Marc
17-08-2013, 09:32 PM
(17-08-2013 09:27 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  
BryanS Wrote:The problem is that the program is almost entirely for religious schools. I would expect religious schools to be part of a school choice program, but not if the program consists entirely of religious schools.

Now it is difficult to know the exact school demographics of Wisconsin. It would seem to me that areas without publicly funded religious schools, Religious private schools would be in the majority. This coupled with the fact that religious schools tend to be more orientated towards coverage than profit (only a guess but is somewhat based on the fact that the only Catholic university in Canada is in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. That's my school) This to me would make religious schools ideal for this program.

There aren't any publicly-funded religious schools in the U.S.
That fucked up system is decidedly Canadian. I'm from Quebec, possibly the fucked up-est.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]