Every idea is original and the Metaphysical Milkshake

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-12-2012, 06:10 AM
Every idea is original and the Metaphysical Milkshake
So I was watching Metaphysical Milkshake and saw this episode:

And I wanted to expand on the "is there an original idea?" question. Is it wrong to suggest that every idea is original? The reason being that you are a completely unique construct of past choices and personal viewpoints. If you scour your artistic soul and produce something that appears to be an exact replica of Picasso's Guernica, does that make it unoriginal? Even though the end product appears the same, the process that led to the product was influenced by everything you've experienced in your lifetime. This is why a painting by a three year old ends up on the fridge and the exact same painting by someone like Picasso sells for millions of dollars. People respect the process, not the product. Same goes for ideas, music, and creation in general.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2012, 04:23 PM
RE: Every idea is original and the Metaphysical Milkshake
1st!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
10-12-2012, 05:41 PM
RE: Every idea is original and the Metaphysical Milkshake
(10-12-2012 06:10 AM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  So I was watching Metaphysical Milkshake and saw this episode:

And I wanted to expand on the "is there an original idea?" question. Is it wrong to suggest that every idea is original? The reason being that you are a completely unique construct of past choices and personal viewpoints. If you scour your artistic soul and produce something that appears to be an exact replica of Picasso's Guernica, does that make it unoriginal? Even though the end product appears the same, the process that led to the product was influenced by everything you've experienced in your lifetime. This is why a painting by a three year old ends up on the fridge and the exact same painting by someone like Picasso sells for millions of dollars. People respect the process, not the product. Same goes for ideas, music, and creation in general.
So originality is simply a comma down the track, Consider post big bang?