Every person on the planet thinks I'm a circus freak

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2014, 12:02 PM
RE: Every person on the planet thinks I'm a circus freak
(14-02-2014 11:41 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  First and foremost, I am very sorry that you have this kind of judgement. People have, and always will be, afraid and distrusting of what they don't know or understand. I'm not even sure I really understand.

Can you describe what being transgender its like? Is it that you just "feel" like you are a woman?

Its a curious thought. I mean, I'm a woman...but I'm not sure I know what being a woman feels like. I don't think I've ever really identified as either gender...I'm just me. For instance, I seem to be a lot more level headed than some of my female friends and less prone to reactions based on emotions. I actually always felt more kinship with my male friends more so than my female friends as I just can't relate to their *sometimes* hysterical nature. I was always - and still am to some extent - an athlete. So getting dirty or being fearful of pain was never an issue.

I can wield a sledgehammer and put up sheetrock as well as any man I've met, and I take joy in tearing down and rebuilding car engines. I also love building roaring fires and curling up with a good book, a blanket, a glass of vino and my dog's head on my lap.

I guess I don't feel like I'm a man because I don't know what that means, necessarily.

I guess I'm asking for a little clarity as to what it means to be transgender?

This subreddit might give you some idea of what some of us go through. I'm not good with words, sorry. Hobo

Truth seeker.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 04:54 AM
Oh diddo, you're breaking my heart. And, I don't know how to help you.

I'm in menopause. My sisters and I laugh because our feminine features are now in question with a rush of male hormones settling in.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
15-02-2014, 04:57 AM
You are certainly not a circus freak. Start small and find something about yourself to love.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
15-02-2014, 05:17 AM
(14-02-2014 11:41 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Can you describe what being transgender its like? Is it that you just "feel" like you are a woman?

It's very difficult to appreciate for non-transgender people because they themselves do not have a discrepancy between their physical and mental gender. For example, transgendered people who make a full transition can find that gender ends up playing very little role in their lives. We can think of comparable analogies though in order to help appreciate the discrepancy.

If you are a woman then imagine everyone treating you like some delicate flower that is incapable of doing anything but domestic duties regardless of what you know about yourself. If you are black then imagine everyone assuming that you are a 'gangsta' even though you know that you are an intelligent and good person. If you are a man imagine everyone assuming that you are a potential rapist even though the very thought sickens you.

In all cases your physical body makes people treat you as something that you are not.

Unfortunately it is more extreme with being transgender because it's not only other people treating you as something that you are not, but you yourself are always aware of how your body does not match up to what you feel inside. Imagine for example being a man who has grown large breasts, or a woman who has grown a beard. Breasts and beards are only one aspect of having a female or male body. For transgender, it's their entire bodies that are wrong.