Every war in human history was over religion- Discuss

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Every war in human history was over religion- Discuss
anybody who's interested in war and religions role within post here. debate if you will present evidence, im just wanting to hear peoples opinions
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2012, 09:56 AM
RE: Every war in human history was over religion- Discuss
The world wars were more of a political nature, most civil wars are just a matter of gaining certain rights. But I do think that religion plays a part in most wars, just not as a reason to start one. Most wars are a conflict between different cultures, religion is a part of culture.

chan chan ki sikin aman
14-04-2012, 10:11 AM
religion is a good tool. someone in power could say they believe in the mainstream religion of their country and then say, "hey, would could use their oil", or, "they are evil heathens who go against the word of god, they must be punished" and then next thing you know they'll eat shit out of a hat if its 'gods will'
14-04-2012, 01:08 PM
wars are not always so simple to define as to how they started.

Was the Civil war over religion? There was an aspect to it that had religious concepts but it wasn't over religion.

Has the Korean conflict been over religion?
14-04-2012, 01:51 PM
That's a lie.
I don't think religion plays a big part in the cause of war as they are usually over land, failed diplomacy etc. It may be a good excuse for some but for the most of human history religion has not been the cause for war.

Sapere aude! Have courage to use your own understanding!
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

Enlightenment is liberating.
14-04-2012, 01:54 PM
(14-04-2012 01:08 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  wars are not always so simple to define as to how they started.

Was the Civil war over religion? There was an aspect to it that had religious concepts but it wasn't over religion.

Has the Korean conflict been over religion?
Agreed. It's silly to posit that "every war" was over religion, as it's easy to cite examples of non-religious wars. For instance, World War I had no religious significance. Also the Vietnam War , French and Indian War , and War of 1812 involved no religious conflict. It would appear that America does not fight wars for religious reasons, and it's possible that more wars are fought with no religious contention than with.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2012, 02:09 PM
Iff "god" is responsible for "morality." As there is no god - fail. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
14-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Religion wasn't really the main reason for wars, but if you look at Irael and Iran these days, they hate each other because of their religion.
14-04-2012, 02:38 PM
(14-04-2012 02:20 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Religion wasn't really the main reason for wars, but if you look at Irael and Iran these days, they hate each other because of their religion.
While I debate that not all wars are over religion, some clearly are... and despite America not being involved in most of them, it's fair to say that the majority of Israel's wars are religion-based. I don't know the history of Iran and Iraq, but they also probably have a history filled with religious wars. Getting rid of religion wouldn't get rid of war (and it's this straw-man belief that was attacked by South Park in "Go God Go") but it would probably reduce the number of wars.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
14-04-2012, 04:03 PM
(14-04-2012 02:38 PM)Starcrash Wrote:  
(14-04-2012 02:20 PM)Magoo Wrote:  Religion wasn't really the main reason for wars, but if you look at Irael and Iran these days, they hate each other because of their religion.
While I debate that not all wars are over religion, some clearly are... and despite America not being involved in most of them, it's fair to say that the majority of Israel's wars are religion-based. I don't know the history of Iran and Iraq, but they also probably have a history filled with religious wars. Getting rid of religion wouldn't get rid of war (and it's this straw-man belief that was attacked by South Park in "Go God Go") but it would probably reduce the number of wars.

I think what really needs to be done to stop wars is communication and cooperation between world leaders. If all the world leaders regularly met and discussed things, there would be a far less chance of war. I think the UN was set up to do just that but it's failing miserably.