Everybody's wrong.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2016, 11:18 AM
RE: Everybodies wrong.
(15-10-2016 11:14 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 08:34 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Sounds like cherry picking to me. That seems to be where a lot of christians are heading these days. At least around where i live. They like the hippy feel-good Jesus parts but are bored and can't be bothered with the rest of the bible. Plus it helps with turning a blind eye to all the nasty shit in the bible if you just toss it out and embrace hippy Jesus.

Nothing wrong with that. Those types of people make for better neighbors, too. They're easier to deal with, less judgemental of others, and they're more inclined to be progressive.

I agree with that. But... come on! How could someone be so intellectually dishonest with themselves? It blows my mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2016, 11:28 AM
(15-10-2016 11:18 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 11:14 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Nothing wrong with that. Those types of people make for better neighbors, too. They're easier to deal with, less judgemental of others, and they're more inclined to be progressive.

I agree with that. But... come on! How could someone be so intellectually dishonest with themselves? It blows my mind.

I don't think I'm being intellectually dishonest with myself, but I'm a theist and you'd likely disagree with my logic. Even if I am being dishonest with myself, that shouldn't bother anyone else if I'm just doing my thing and not intruding on other people's lives.
[+] 1 user Likes Aliza's post
16-10-2016, 01:32 AM
(15-10-2016 11:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 11:18 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  I agree with that. But... come on! How could someone be so intellectually dishonest with themselves? It blows my mind.

I don't think I'm being intellectually dishonest with myself, but I'm a theist and you'd likely disagree with my logic. Even if I am being dishonest with myself, that shouldn't bother anyone else if I'm just doing my thing and not intruding on other people's lives.

For what it's worth it does not bother me, if you keep your religion to yourself why should I care. However in my experience theists who do not try to force their beliefs onto others are rare. They are like Yeti - you keep hearing about them yet you never get to see it Wink

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
16-10-2016, 01:46 AM
(16-10-2016 01:32 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(15-10-2016 11:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't think I'm being intellectually dishonest with myself, but I'm a theist and you'd likely disagree with my logic. Even if I am being dishonest with myself, that shouldn't bother anyone else if I'm just doing my thing and not intruding on other people's lives.

For what it's worth it does not bother me, if you keep your religion to yourself why should I care. However in my experience theists who do not try to force their beliefs onto others are rare. They are like Yeti - you keep hearing about them yet you never get to see it Wink

Well...... we never do see Aliza and Yeti in the same room together.......

Consider

Or...... maybe Aliza is Batman(woman)

(O_o)
[+] 3 users Like Peebothuhul's post
16-10-2016, 02:52 AM
(15-10-2016 11:28 AM)Aliza Wrote:  I don't think I'm being intellectually dishonest with myself, but I'm a theist and you'd likely disagree with my logic. Even if I am being dishonest with myself, that shouldn't bother anyone else if I'm just doing my thing and not intruding on other people's lives.

Yeah but theists who don't try to force their beliefs on you are under represented in your sample. There are a billion Hindus, probably close to half a billion Buddhists, and a modest 15 million Jews. We're there, it's just that some stange force (human decency) keeps us from knocking on your door while you're trying to watch the game or bugging you in the lunch room at work. Thumbsup
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
16-10-2016, 02:56 AM

We get street preachers in Gloucester, but they fo not actually grab people and force them to listen.

Occasionally some religious happy valley group sets up a stage in tbe city square and regails everyone with over-amplified songs of praise and guitars. Plus trying to thrust bits of paper into the hands of passers by, which I take pleasure in telling them is a form of assault.

But, of course, every religious parent who indoctrinates their children is denying them the freedom of choice.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
16-10-2016, 03:39 AM
(16-10-2016 02:52 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Yeah but theists who don't try to force their beliefs on you are under represented in your sample.

Sure. I've only seen Hindus when I visited England for example. Catholics are people that I'm forced to deal with daily.

(16-10-2016 02:52 AM)Aliza Wrote:  There are a billion Hindus, probably close to half a billion Buddhists, and a modest 15 million Jews. We're there, it's just that some stange force (human decency) keeps us from knocking on your door while you're trying to watch the game or bugging you in the lunch room at work. Thumbsup

That mysterious force would be distance - there aren't much Hindus, Buddhists or Jews in Poland.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
16-10-2016, 12:09 PM
(14-10-2016 03:13 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(14-10-2016 01:44 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Meh. Is this thread going to boil down to a drive by?

Would you come back if everyone pounced on you from the start? Not me.

I would have liked to talk with him. Oh well.

Given the title of the thread the amount of pouncing has been relatively light. And I'm not even talking about the crimes against grammar. Nobody called them anything particularly unpleasant and most people addressed the question in the OP.

A quick check on the poster's stats show that they have made one post ever and logged out before the first reply so they'll be unaware of any pouncing that may have been inflicted upon them.

It may not be a drive-by but the odds aren't great.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
16-10-2016, 03:54 PM
Somebody say drive-by?

[Image: 2VRhXll.jpg]

Well, I used to exploit drive-bys by posting Gwynnies, but I've been slacking. I don't wanna be here to bring you cats to my level; I'm old and merely waiting to die.

Yeah, everybody's wrong. No surprise, People in their ignorance ( Tongue ) congratulate the "original thought" but such is a lie. For reference feel free to peruse the thread "The LC" in positive atheism... and that being like fourth order removed from original. Smartass

There ain't no getting it. "Original thought" is not the domain of the sane mind.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
16-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Some people are more wrong than others.

A man in NYC high on LSD & cough syrup, saved his neighbor's dog when he thought their house was on fire. He drove his car across his yard, smashing through a fence, breaking into his neighbor's house, "rescuing" the dog.

This is how I view some christians when they tell me my soul is in danger and the flames of hell are all around me.

http://www.kshb.com/news/national/man-on...ning-house

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post