Everyone Has Faith

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Everyone Has Faith
In reality everyone has faith. You have to have faith in things otherwise you would go insane. You have faith that your bike is going to collapse when you are riding it because it either isn't that common or it hasn't happened to you. Let's get a discussion going on this. BTW, I am agnostic. I am not trying to get atheists to believe in God, I want everyone to be open minded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-03-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: Everyone Has Faith
Faith refers to a belief as it is not based on proof.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
15-03-2015, 12:00 PM
(15-03-2015 11:53 AM)NumberDigit Wrote:  You have to have faith in things otherwise you would go insane.

Yeah, so what's the problem?

#sigh
15-03-2015, 12:00 PM
(15-03-2015 11:58 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Faith refers to a belief as it is not based on proof.

Anything where you are not sure can be consider faith? Also, isn't lacking a belief in God also a belief because you believe you have a reason to lack a belief in God?
15-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Before I ride a bike or get into my car, I don't rely on faith. I take care of my things. If something is broken its repaired. When I rode a bike I was taught that the responsible thing was to look it over to make sure it wouldn't just fall apart when I rode.

In other words your analogy is stupid.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
First, I'm sure you meant "your bike isn't going to collapse", but no, I don't have faith that I won't collapse. Physics can explain why my bike won't collapse while I'm riding it. Certainly, there can be many factors that would cause it (slippery terrain, human error, etc), but they have nothing to do with faith.

Also, the trust that I have that something will work (as intended) such as the bike, is based on experience and evidence. We know, by experimentation, that riding a bike allows the same to stand instead of falling sideways. And this happens only when you stop. Or if you didn't see the truck when you were crossing the street.

Lastly, don't confuse faith and trust. They are two similar but different concepts. Having faith in a deity and having faith in your SO is not quite the same thing.

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 3 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
(15-03-2015 12:00 PM)NumberDigit Wrote:  
(15-03-2015 11:58 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Faith refers to a belief as it is not based on proof.

Anything where you are not sure can be consider faith? Also, isn't lacking a belief in God also a belief because you believe you have a reason to lack a belief in God?

Oh goody, word games. We have certainly never seen those around here before.

Lack of belief is lack of belief. Period.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
15-03-2015, 12:05 PM
(15-03-2015 12:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Before I ride a bike or get into my car, I don't rely on faith. I take care of my things. If something is broken its repaired. When I rode a bike I was taught that the responsible thing was to look it over to make sure it wouldn't just fall apart when I rode.

In other words your analogy is stupid.

What about the unexpected things like something suddenly becoming unstable. You have to trust yourself that you have done a good job checking. That is the reason why scientists repeat experiments over and over again and then have other people do the same. The majority of observations rely on faith that we are right because if we don't examine something perfectly and even if we do we could've missed something(our eyes can skip over things or paint false images in our mind).
15-03-2015, 12:06 PM
Trusting yourself and trusting someone else is faith.
15-03-2015, 12:08 PM
(15-03-2015 12:01 PM)The Polyglot Atheist Wrote:  First, I'm sure you meant "your bike isn't going to collapse", but no, I don't have faith that I won't collapse. Physics can explain why my bike won't collapse while I'm riding it. Certainly, there can be many factors that would cause it (slippery terrain, human error, etc), but they have nothing to do with faith.

Also, the trust that I have that something will work (as intended) such as the bike, is based on experience and evidence. We know, by experimentation, that riding a bike allows the same to stand instead of falling sideways. And this happens only when you stop. Or if you didn't see the truck when you were crossing the street.

Lastly, don't confuse faith and trust. They are two similar but different concepts. Having faith in a deity and having faith in your SO is not quite the same thing.

There is more evidence to have faith in yourself.